New NIL - Goldmine Alliance

I will pay college kids money to mow my lawn or move furniture. I do not pay them to play sports.

3 Likes

That’s my concern.

He might even get some of it, maybe even enough, if we had the track record to make businesses and individuals believe. It’s a chicken & the egg dilemma.

I think we are going to have to win, and captivate the city with a compelling feel good story, before the money will start rolling in.

As I said previously, boy is the opportunity there. We could be the only sports franchise in the city that doesn’t SUCK. Really need to capture the moment.

Agree here except for the subservient part. The FCS is not subservient to the FBS. They just agree to play them for massive amounts of money and the opportunity to see if they can get an upset. It’s a no lose situation for them. They get paid and they get to play and they are expected to lose. A FBS loss on the record of a FCS team means nothing.

They have their own playoff and their own championship which is quite exciting (I’ve been watching the FCS playoffs this year). In the current model it’s the FCS schools that have the best setup in reality because at least in theory the difference in resources are not so great that you can’t build a good competitive team.

If you mixed the G5, and a few willing P5 schools who want to get off this merry go round of insanity back into the FCS you would have a very compelling competition with the majority of D1 football being played at the FCS level with hopefully some financial guardrails in place to avoid what’s going on in FBS.

Take that group. Regionalize it and you’ve got a chance to build something.

Remember Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, JMU, Marshall, the Dakotas (and many more!) all built their loyal fan bases in FCS not FBS.

Advocate. I don’t think this position you just wrote about would be mutually exclusive with the reformed FCS I noted above.

Your quote:

“I think we are going to have to win, and captivate the city with a compelling feel good story, before the money will start rolling in.

As I said previously, boy is the opportunity there. We could be the only sports franchise in the city that doesn’t SUCK. Really need to capture the moment.“

That can happen at an FCS level.

Using Wake Forest as an example. Do you think that they would willingly cut back to FCS (or some variation of “Group of 5?”)
No way. No how. They would sell their souls to stay “Power 5.” It is all about who you associate with. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 Like

SMU set the standard for desperation. They might be eclipsed. Wouldn’t shock me.

I think it’s more possible than you think.

Factors.

1. Academic perception. This is likely going to need one elite institution like a Duke or Stanford to lead the way but if one of them decides to “pull a u Chicago” I think it could snowball.

2. Impact on the Olympic sports and breadth of programs offered. If the break away devastates the non revenue sports this would be a big factor for many schools whose leadership feels it’s important to support a broad range of programs.

3. Financial. If the model post split results in uneven revenue distribution to the also rans in the P5 then you could see some of them drop down because of pride, money issues trying to keep up with the jones, etc. A lot of the P5 have lived for decades off the fact they had even revenue sharing. If that stops it’s going to be a huge impact.

4. Winning. In the post split era many of the P5 also rans are going to have a hard time convincing their fans and their boosters that it’s worth it when they keep having losing season after losing season.

Of all of these I think #1 is the most powerful.

College football and college basketball have already been destroyed by collectives. The disconnect between me and college athletics only continues to grow. There is no way for us to compete in all of this.

Once this trickles down and destroys college baseball, I’ll be done with it all. Hopefully I have a few more years to enjoy it.

3 Likes

You have a unigue and positive perspective. Unfortunatley I think you’re in the minority. I have zero interest in being known as a lame duck school just for the payday. Likewise I have zero interest in striving for a tier 2 league/conference with conference mates of App, G. Southern, Mid Tenn or Coastal Carolina. If those are our aspiriations I’m done and I would prefer the school pull a U Chicago, go DIII and focus on academics.

1 Like

The impact to non revenue sports is going to come. Since most NIL money is redirected AD giving and sponsorships many mid and low end P5s budgets are not going to work. I think we will see schools drop back simply because they can not make the money work. I keep saying this but we are letting the top 20-30 schools who make mad money and who can legit pay players wreck the system for the rest of us and the TV networks want it to happen because they think we will all become chapel hill fans for jr NFL football on a saturday. Fuck them.

At some point the government is going to want to tax all of this and at some point students are going to sue about paying fees to support what is basically a money making enterprise for the top schools.

I do hope we don’t play any of the break away schools. Make the bottom end of the break aways suffer with losing records.

I swear its like watching a train wreck that we can all see but no one will stop.

5 Likes

I agree the TV networks will be sorely disappointed.

It’s a complete misread of what makes college sports special.

And they will rue the day.

5 Likes

I don’t think that will be the case. There are already Walmart fans for every school. Put g5 in a different division and there will be more of them. Probably 90% of Duke, ND, OSU fans did not go to school there. While you may not do it, it absolutely happens. People will pull for a team they can easily watch, on a regular basis.

I would only pull for another college team if I had to move to that town for family reasons but my heart would always be with the Niner.

I don’t understand the psychology of the Wal Mart fans.

They should root for their local team or where they went to school and that’s it.

Especially disgusting are those that went to another school and pull for a P5 team. Yuck.

Like I said, because that’s what’s on TV. You have to admit, it’s extremely difficult to watch a Charlotte bball game, and when you can, the opponent might be FAU.

Right if the top 30 break and only chapel hill makes it in are duke fans and state states fans and alums going to become chapel hill people? Are VT alums going to become UVA fans? Are GT people going to become UGA people?

That’s what the networks think will happen. I don’t buy it.

1 Like

I don’t think 100 programs can afford to play NFL lite nor do the networks want that many. I think they want about 30-40. The rest will be on the outside looking in.

Yes! 100% agree.

I’ve said it many times, I think it will be more than 30. And yes, I think fans of other schools will switch. Alumni probably not. Walmart fans, absolutely. Or, an NC State fan becomes a Clemson fan, because they hate CH. Just because they’re in NC doesn’t mean they have to pull for CH. Duke fans will probably flock to ND. Or whatever team plays the most white guys. Who knows.

Agree with NWA. Been around supporting this program for a long time and Stated in the beginning I would not be giving to NIL…
Was Called out for stating that students should revolt on the Athletic fees. When students organize and start bashing this on Social Media it will gain traction fast.
Really surprised the mandatory Student Athletic fees are still standing.

As TSD said, will never be enough, there is no end in sight.

Y’all know our fee going up was approved by BOT last week?

I lean toward Normmm on this. I think a lot of people over the years will eventually be reprogrammed to a new reality and they will pick a new " winner" to pull for. It will just be easier and in their face from a marketing standpoint. I am not one of them but everyone on this board that pulls for the Niners are a different breed of cat and are loyal to a fault and enjoy the pain so we are not with the masses.

I think the networks are okay with a more concentrated field to market and sell. It is just an easier job for the powers that be and less “good ol boys” to have to deal with.

1 Like