New Ole Miss Mascot

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5684400

Not bad, but I would have gone for a Brown bear.

I’m actually in Oxford, MS right now. Most of the locals are a little ticked that this is even happening. The posters for the football schedule have Colonel Reb with WANTED: FOR BEING TRADITION TRAITORS with a picture of the Chancellor and AD.

First the confederate flag was removed from games (understandable), then the “South will rise again” chant was removed (meh), the mascot was removed. . . . . My guess, next will be the removal of the term “Ole Miss”. It will simply be The University of Mississippi. After that, they’ll remove “Rebels” all together.

Of the 3 finalists, the black bear was my favorite replacement.

I’m actually in Oxford, MS right now. Most of the locals are a little ticked that this is even happening. The posters for the football schedule have Colonel Reb with WANTED: FOR BEING TRADITION TRAITORS with a picture of the Chancellor and AD.

First the confederate flag was removed from games (understandable), then the “South will rise again” chant was removed (meh), the mascot was removed. . . . . My guess, next will be the removal of the term “Ole Miss”. It will simply be The University of Mississippi. After that, they’ll remove “Rebels” all together.

Of the 3 finalists, the black bear was my favorite replacement.[/quote]

It is an assault on southern heritage. Heaven forbid we retain an ounce of what made our ancestors who they were. I can understand that some parts of southern history are offensive - but that can be said for all of US History. It has just become politically correct these days to try and bleach out all of the south’s history because apparently if I wear a confederate battleflag it makes me racist and a slave owner. if I was an Ole Miss alum I would be pissed too.

The US military slaughtered Native Americans under the US flag so what does that say about waving an American flag? It says absolutely nothing. It was simply a point in history and the attitudes of the time are no longer accepted.

I think it will be crap if they make them get rid of the “Rebels” tag at some point. Nobody is giving shit to UNLV. It just so happens that they’re in the south and not the west.

It is an assault on southern heritage. Heaven forbid we retain an ounce of what made our ancestors who they were. I can understand that some parts of southern history are offensive - but that can be said for all of US History. It has just become politically correct these days to try and bleach out all of the south’s history because apparently if I wear a confederate battleflag it makes me racist and a slave owner. if I was an Ole Miss alum I would be pissed too.[/quote]

The jackasses that fly the rebel flag and spout bigotry are just as much to blame for all of this.

[/quote]

Too bad George Lucas cock blocked them

It is an assault on southern heritage. Heaven forbid we retain an ounce of what made our ancestors who they were. I can understand that some parts of southern history are offensive - but that can be said for all of US History. It has just become politically correct these days to try and bleach out all of the south’s history because apparently if I wear a confederate battleflag it makes me racist and a slave owner. if I was an Ole Miss alum I would be pissed too.[/quote]

The jackasses that fly the rebel flag and spout bigotry are just as much to blame for all of this.[/quote]

Yeah they are. They shout bigotry under the american flag too. It isn’t the flags that should be disdained but the words they speak.

The jackasses that fly the rebel flag and spout bigotry are just as much to blame for all of this.[/quote]

Yeah they are. They shout bigotry under the american flag too. It isn’t the flags that should be disdained but the words they speak.[/quote]

I dunno. Like it or not, the confederate flag has some very strong symbology that recalls a time period in our not to distant history when we fought over the ability to own people. I don’t blame anyone for getting upset over it. Its a dated and stupid symbol.

My real problem with the Rebel flag is the hypocrisy of the people who fly it. I don’t care how much you trumpet your ‘heritage’, the people that fly what is ultimately the flag of a former enemy of the United States are the exact same people who love to trumpet America as the greatest country ever.

There are some that would say that it was the Lincoln Administration that was the traitors to America, as defined by our Constitution. We don’t elect a new Dictator every 4 years; we elect a Constitutionally constrained Head of State. Both sides had essentially the same Constitution and the same form of government. One side believed in the 1789 Constitution as a strict set of laws to be adhered too rigorously. The other side thought the Constitution was a “living” document that presented a general guideline, but that the Fed Gov could interpret it as it saw fit to do. To me there can be no “traitors” to the United States in the War Between the States without acknowledgement that Lincoln and his administration were equal traitors to what the United States was supposed to be, not what they wanted it to be.

There are some that would say that it was the Lincoln Administration that was the traitors to America, as defined by our Constitution. We don’t elect a new Dictator every 4 years; we elect a Constitutionally constrained Head of State. Both sides had essentially the same Constitution and the same form of government. One side believed in the 1789 Constitution as a strict set of laws to be adhered too rigorously. The other side thought the Constitution was a “living” document that presented a general guideline, but that the Fed Gov could interpret it as it saw fit to do. To me there can be no “traitors” to the United States in the War Between the States without acknowledgement that Lincoln and his administration were equal traitors to what the United States was supposed to be, not what they wanted it to be.[/quote]

Jefferson Davis? Is that you?

There are some that would say that it was the Lincoln Administration that was the traitors to America, as defined by our Constitution. We don’t elect a new Dictator every 4 years; we elect a Constitutionally constrained Head of State. Both sides had essentially the same Constitution and the same form of government. One side believed in the 1789 Constitution as a strict set of laws to be adhered too rigorously. The other side thought the Constitution was a “living” document that presented a general guideline, but that the Fed Gov could interpret it as it saw fit to do. To me there can be no “traitors” to the United States in the War Between the States without acknowledgement that Lincoln and his administration were equal traitors to what the United States was supposed to be, not what they wanted it to be.[/quote]

Jefferson Davis? Is that you?[/quote]

Nope, I’m Thomas Jefferson or James Madison.

I tolerate the confederate flag, I was born in Charleston, raised in the Carolinas and will never wave the stars and bars. I understand people being proud of their heritage, I’m just not big on celebrating circumstances of birth. I also know that most of those who fought for the south were not slave owners. The lower class whites were talked into fighting by the upper class whites, even though the existence of slavery was not to their benefit as the slaves were doing work white people would have gotten paid to do.

As much as people have the right to be proud of their heritage, a certain level of sensitivity should be expected. Whether you like it or not, the rebel flag is viewed as a symbol of racism, even though to some people it represents different things.

How many of you stars and bars people were adamant against the Ground Zero Mosque?

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:15, topic:24083”]I tolerate the confederate flag, I was born in Charleston, raised in the Carolinas and will never wave the stars and bars. I understand people being proud of their heritage, I’m just not big on celebrating circumstances of birth. I also know that most of those who fought for the south were not slave owners. The lower class whites were talked into fighting by the upper class whites, even though the existence of slavery was not to their benefit as the slaves were doing work white people would have gotten paid to do.

As much as people have the right to be proud of their heritage, a certain level of sensitivity should be expected. Whether you like it or not, the rebel flag is viewed as a symbol of racism, even though to some people it represents different things.

How many of you stars and bars people were adamant against the Ground Zero Mosque?[/quote]

Ginger, I fucking love you man!

[/quote]

[size=18pt]Black Bears - BLACK BEARS = ACKBAR![/size]

Hootie stance on the Confederate Flag- loser shouldn’t get a trophy.

Other than that, I really don’t care.

Jefferson Davis? Is that you?[/quote]

Nope, I’m Thomas Jefferson or James Madison.[/quote]

I actually think Andrew Jackson said it best…

The Constitution forms a government, not a league.... Each state having expressly parted with so many powers as to constitute jointly with other nations, a single nation, cannot from that period, posses any right to secede, because such succession does not break a league, but destroys the unity of a nation.... To say that any state may at pleasure secede from the union is to say that the United States is not a nation.... Because the union was formed by a compact, it is said that the parties to that compact may, when they feel themselves aggrieved, depart from it; but it is precisely because it is a compact that they may not. A compact is a binding obligation....

You assume the two are one in the same.