new program coach?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/05/19/489279/amato-still-wants-to-coach.html

Amato would not be the first name that comes to mind, but for a coach starting up a new program he may
have a lot to offer. Any thoughts?

I agree, he would have the FLA connections.

BUT, he has cancer and I think his treatment might hinder his time/ability to be the kind of coach we need.

I think that Amato would be a good “consultant” at where we are now.

Don’t laugh, but he’d be a good spokesperson. He wasn’t known for making excellent comments, but he was known for his comments. I mean, having a one-liner repeated over and over about 49er football wouldn’t be a negative at this point. Anything is better than the silence we are getting.

It would be great to give the guy an office, getting in some niner nike gear and green shoes, and he fields questions from NBC 6 and shows up at the Charlotte Touchdown Club meetings. He also would consult with the architects on “what (donors, coaches, recruits, players) typically want” in the field house and stadium.

I think this sort of roll is what this program needs right now. I would take a Minter or Amato for this sort of role, but not as a coach.

Minter was on Packman sporting for the job again. Said he and Judy have had informal discussions and that he will be meeting Coach Major next week. Says he’ll gaurantee a game at Nebraska in year 1.

Definitely a NO for Minter as coach. guy can’t even get our name right, and has no collegiate coaching experience. If he keeps calling us uncc charlotte, then he should no longer be allowed to speak on behalf of our university.

Amato maybe. he is a character that is recognizable, and can recruit. He has health problems and would be 66 years old before we even take the field.

In any case I wonder if we are behind the game now by not already having a coach in place.

[quote=“action49er, post:5, topic:23302”]Definitely a NO for Minter as coach. guy can’t even get our name right, and has no collegiate coaching experience. If he keeps calling us uncc charlotte, then he should no longer be allowed to speak on behalf of our university.

Amato maybe. he is a character that is recognizable, and can recruit. He has health problems and would be 66 years old before we even take the field.

In any case I wonder if we are behind the game now by not already having a coach in place.[/quote]

As much as I’d like him to get it right can we really blame anyone when they get it wrong considering the confusion within the administartion? We can’t start excluding people for getting the name wrong because that would eliminate 99.9% of the people we need to help this U get where it needs to be. The name change confussion lies squarely in Dubois’s lap.

Year one Nebraska = 200 - 0 loss, with our AD smiling all the way to the bank.

They’ll stop at 50. We need at least 2 money games a year.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:6, topic:23302”][quote=“action49er, post:5, topic:23302”]Definitely a NO for Minter as coach. guy can’t even get our name right, and has no collegiate coaching experience. If he keeps calling us uncc charlotte, then he should no longer be allowed to speak on behalf of our university.

In any case I wonder if we are behind the game now by not already having a coach in place.[/quote]

As much as I’d like him to get it right can we really blame anyone when they get it wrong considering the confusion within the administartion? We can’t start excluding people for getting the name wrong because that would eliminate 99.9% of the people we need to help this U get where it needs to be. The name change confussion lies squarely in Dubois’s lap.[/quote]

If you were going on a job interview, wouldn’t you make sure that you knew how to pronounce the company’s name? If he says UNC Charlotte, that’s not my preference, but that is a real place. There is no confusion about UNCC Charlotte, it does not and has never existed. He’s been saying it for months and somebody should correct him so that he doesn’t look so out of touch with the program that he wants to lead.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:9, topic:23302”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:6, topic:23302”][quote=“action49er, post:5, topic:23302”]Definitely a NO for Minter as coach. guy can’t even get our name right, and has no collegiate coaching experience. If he keeps calling us uncc charlotte, then he should no longer be allowed to speak on behalf of our university.

As much as I’d like him to get it right can we really blame anyone when they get it wrong considering the confusion within the administartion? We can’t start excluding people for getting the name wrong because that would eliminate 99.9% of the people we need to help this U get where it needs to be. The name change confussion lies squarely in Dubois’s lap.[/quote]

If you were going on a job interview, wouldn’t you make sure that you knew how to pronounce the company’s name? If he says UNC Charlotte, that’s not my preference, but that is a real place. There is no confusion about UNCC Charlotte, it does not and has never existed. He’s been saying it for months and somebody should correct him so that he doesn’t look so out of touch with the program that he wants to lead.[/quote]

We can discuss this in 20 minutes when you bring me my purchase. 8)

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:6, topic:23302”][quote=“action49er, post:5, topic:23302”]Definitely a NO for Minter as coach. guy can’t even get our name right, and has no collegiate coaching experience. If he keeps calling us uncc charlotte, then he should no longer be allowed to speak on behalf of our university.

Yes----especially when you’re trying to get a job here.

If you work for General Motors and are interviewing job candidates, do you hire the candidate that says “I think I am a perfect fit for this job at GM General”?

Other than the name thing, I think he can have some positive effects on our football program.

Would you hire the guy that goes up to Mr. Dumas, & says I’m “Dumba55 & Dumba55 material!”

Do you think Judy or Phil even notice when someone says it wrong? Why should Minter care when no one in authority upholds a standard?

This.

He calls us UNCC Charlotte. WTF??

If I had to decide between choosing DeMarco as the head coach for men’s basketball or Minter as the head coach for football, I’d go with DeMarco. At least the basketball program has facilities, history, and 80-90% of the schollies already filled. Starting a football program from scratch is going to be a much greater herculean effort. Even a Big XII head coach would find the prospect of leading an invisible team with no facilities and 65 open scholarships to be an enormous challenge.

And Minter has many good qualities to his personality but there’s absolutely nothing on his resume as far as coaching goes. He hasn’t attempted to gain experience or learn from another head coach … he only dreams that he can do it. Well, I can dream to myself that I can build an organic chemistry degree program from scratch at a major university (despite never opening or reading an organic chemistry textbook in my life) but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I could pull off such a feat.

In addition to lacking the connection and the experience, I really believe that Mike Minter lacks the mental illness to be a head coach. I mean, you’ll hear about stories of the divorces & total lack of family life due to the workaholic nature of being a college coach. I’ve heard about people complain that have never eaten a home-cooked meal for years. Look at fellow A10 coach Rick Majerus - the man doesn’t have many close friends, can’t live in real house (he lives in hotels), is a total perfectionist, unmarried, and spends every minute of his free time on his career. He’s borderline mentally ill but is also a tremendous coach. Jim Leavitt has ‘war stories’ about how hard he worked and how little he slept to build South Florida … stories that would make any college head football coach shudder in disbelief.

I’m skeptical that Mike Minter’s dreamworld belief that all he has to do is to work a little harder to make up for his blank, empty coaching record will work in reality. While so many coaches are willing and eager to sacrifice themselves to the job, I don’t know if I’d recommend for Minter to sacrifice his family and social life. Why would he want to? He has the right to enjoy himself and we have the right to find a nutjob head coach that will win games for us.

I’d seriously advise Mike Minter to stick with his original idea and try to break into politics post-football. I think he’d do really well and we could use the political support. But I think being a head football coach is just too overwhelming for all but a select few crazy people.

[font=arial][size=13px]Minter graduated from NU with a degree in engineering in December 1996 after playing football. His record at NU shows he can solve problems, multi-task, overcome adversity and has a good work ethic.[/size][/font]

[font=arial][size=13px]Minter redshirted in 1992. He played in every game as a redshirt Freshman, including the Orange Bowl against FSU. He had ACL surgery after starting a few games his softmore year. He started every game as a Junior. He started every game as a Senior and was All-Big 12. He was drafted in 2nd round by Carolina Panthers and was their best Safety to date. He was a consistent NFL starter and is in the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame. I think his win loss record while playing at Nebraska was 41-3 and that they finished those years ranked #3, #1, #1 and #6. He played for one of the greatest college football coaches ever (Tom Osborne won 250 games faster than anyone in D-I football). [/size][/font]

[font=arial][size=13px]And thats with a few minutes of my rookie research. I haven’t even seen is resume. He’s not the first or last to butcher the UNCC name. He has not intentionally disrespected the school in my opinion. How can people discount a guy with this kind of track record? I don’t know him personally, but unless he is just some reckless A$$hole, which that doesn’t seem to be the case, why not give him a shot? I am sure he would have had one hell of a coaching resume if he wasn’t kicking butt playing football. In any case, we are really lucky to have him on our side.[/size][/font]

Heretofore, I’ve been thoughtfully considering Mike Minter as our first head coach. After listening to the interview and despite his improper pronunciation of the University’s name (minutes 39:18 and 31:20), I am amenable to him being considered as the Niners first head coach.

He has motivational skills players would be willing to “catch a bullet for” (figuratively speaking, of course), personality the fans can strongly get behind and follow, and managerial expertise to run a start up program. His lack of college coaching may not be that important in whole scheme of things. I get the impression that he knows what he is getting into and can handle it. Our football programs needs are unique and he may satisfy most of them.

Minter is a great guy with a great football playing resume. He does tons in the community and you can always find him out and about. I am glad that he takes the time to come out and support the Charlotte football dream. He has been a key player in the push for football.

That being said, I do not see the experience in his resume that shows he can build a football team from scratch. I love the Panthers. I love Minter. The only coaching I have known him to do is peewee and High School (First Assembly). I would love to see him in as an assistant coach. I bet he would be a tremendous tool in recruiting. I mean if Minter came to my game and said "why don’t you play for uncc charlotte (haha sorry, couldn’t resist) then I would accept in a heartbeat.

I would really like to see a well experienced head coach at the helm. Someone who has already had success in the FBS and hopefully even BCS conference experience would be the best bet. If we truly want to move up to the FBS ASAP then we need to hire like it. Then maybe if this coach is on the older side and Minter has been working successfully under him, you give Minter a shot.