New Soccer Recruits

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/04/1600391/six-soccer-players-commit-to-niners.html

Men’s Team-8 Starters coming back.
1st Tourney team in 12 years.
D Thomas Allen-Providence High-all state last year.
G Gavin Dawson-U of Denver-1.28 GAA.
MF Jeremy Dennis-Vance High-O POY & all state.
MF Aidan Kirkbride-from England, but is Irish descent trying out for Ireland U19 team.
MF Will Mayhew-Robinson High/Wake Forest-Pre-Season A14 All-Rook Team.
MF Paul Willoughby-Wake Forest-11 G 8 A in 2 years.
Season starts 09/01 at UNCG.
1st home game 09/04 vs. Elon.

New Men’s Tennis Coach Billy Boykin hired Asst. Jesse Tarr. Tarr played at James Madison, & was an Asst. at William & Mary & Boise St.

all i know about soccer is that
(1.) we were pretty good last year, and
(2.) in my prime, i could probably have kicked the ass of every player on the french WC team.

that said…it sounds like we’re in for some more fun in 2010.
GO NINERS!!!

Getting a good one in Jeremy. He and my son played together at Vance, so have seen him quite a bit over the past few years. Also a great student as he was class valedictorian as well.

Getting a good one in Jeremy. He and my son played together at Vance, so have seen him quite a bit over the past few years. Also a great student as he was class valedictorian as well.[/quote]

valedictorian. that’s great to hear. it’s always nice when we can add a kid who is not only an elite athlete but also an elite student.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:2, topic:23686”]all i know about soccer is that
(1.) we were pretty good last year, and
(2.) in my prime, i could probably have kicked the ass of every player on the french WC team.

that said…it sounds like we’re in for some more fun in 2010.
GO NINERS!!![/quote] A-10 tournament here this fall.

Getting a good one in Jeremy. He and my son played together at Vance, so have seen him quite a bit over the past few years. Also a great student as he was class valedictorian as well.[/quote]

Your son going to make the leap Run? It’d be pretty cool having a guy’s kid playing for our school to cheer him on.

If you haven’t been out to see the soccer team recently (IE after Dunn took over), you should really check ‘em out. They’re fun to watch and it’s a good atmosphere on a Friday/Sat night. They’re ranked 25th in the College Soccer News’ preseason poll, and they play local schools like UNCG, Wake, Clemson, and South Carolina all at home this season.

Much to my surprise, he’s decided to concentrate on academics and forego athletics. Know a couple at church whose son is doing the same even though he played for the state champion Myers Park H.S. team.

Anyway, on the extracurricular side, my son basically traded in the adidas for an Ibanez.

You mean Gunn of course. (Dunn was our former Vice Chancellor and actually was a Niner soccer player back in the day). Yeah, it’s been a big change since he took over for Tart. I get out to a lot of games now. Gunn was very close to going to Clemson last year. Glad he stayed.

Btw, these guys didn’t just commit. They are playing this season.

I know Will Mayhew from when I taught at Robinson HS. He was all-state and was invited to try out for the U20 national team his senior year. I personally feel bad for him that things didn’t work out at Wake but he’s a really good student and an awesome soccer player.