New Student Affairs VC named

[B]Arthur Jackson Named Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at UNC Charlotte
Served as Vice President for Student Affairs at Westfield State College in Massachusetts
[I]The Office of Public Relations[/I][/B]

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – May 22, 2007 – Chancellor Philip Dubois has announced that he will recommend the appointment of Dr. Arthur R. Jackson as vice chancellor for student affairs when the Board of Trustees convenes on June 1. Once approved, it is expected that Jackson will start in his new position on Aug. 7.

Since 2000, Jackson has served as vice president for student affairs at Westfield State College in Westfield, Mass., where he managed a $14.1 million budget and 92 professional and support personnel. Jackson has also held an adjunct faculty appointment in the Division of Graduate and Continuing Education teaching courses dealing with topics in higher education.

Prior to that post, Jackson was vice president of student affairs and an associate professor at Norfolk State University in Norfolk, Va. He has nearly 20 years of experience at research extensive universities, including 13 years as the financial aid director at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

A search was launched in February following Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Chuck Lynch’s announcement that he planned to retire this summer after serving at UNC Charlotte for almost 34 years. The search committee considered 115 applications for the position.

“There were a number of highly qualified applicants, but Art rose to the top as the ideal candidate with the right mix of talent and energy to take over this position at a key point in the history of the university,” Dubois said. “Art’s leadership skills are strong and he has the vision to look far ahead, which are key needs at an institution that is growing in size and reputation.

“I look forward to working with Art to offer even more opportunities for our students.”

In his new role, Jackson will be in charge of a division with an overall budget of more than $34 million, including more than 330 employees. A new $65 million student union will be completed over the next two years.

Jackson comes to a rapidly growing university with a current enrollment of over 21,500 students, serving as the only doctoral/research intensive university in the greater Charlotte region of nearly 1.5 million people. Projections call for UNC Charlotte to have more than 35,000 students by 2020.

“I am delighted to be appointed as the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at UNC Charlotte,” Jackson said. “It is my goal to enhance the excellent reputation of the University, and the Division of Student Affairs.

“My hope is to be an engaged educator in the academic structure, student development programs and the community of greater Charlotte,” he added. “Working with an outstanding team in Student Affairs and throughout the University, I look forward to lending my expertise in any way that benefits the institution”.

Jackson has been a professor in the area of multicultural education and higher education administration for the past 17 years. He has lectured at such institutions as Brown University, Springfield College, Central Connecticut State University, Cornell University, and the University of Maryland at College Park.

He is the current chair of the Region 1 Public Policy Committee for the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. Jackson also has been awarded the Distinguished Accomplishment Award by this organization.

He is also very active in community activities as a volunteer educational consultant for the Springfield Urban League, Martin Luther King Presbyterian Church and Community Center, White Oak Charter School for students with learning disabilities, Noble Hospital, and the Westfield Rotary Club.