New Vikings stadium

It shouldn’t be up to the State, but the City of Charlotte and County of Mecklenburg to make that happen. These owners want all of the profit from having the team while spending none of their own funding to have a house for them to play in. The City/County needs to make sure that they spend a large enough percentage on stadium renovation/new stadium to insure that they aren’t going anywhere. The Twins did it with Target Field, and Atlanta is doing in with the Falcons new stadium.[/quote]

The state though does profit from having the team here - both SC and NC. The city should take the majority of the load, but the state kicking some in as well makes total sense.

Hell my tax dollars paid for the arena in Raleigh and what happens there contributes far less than the Panthers to the state.[/quote] I’m thinking X-49er meant that the Panthers should put up most of the cost when he said “they”, but correct me if I’m wrong. I agree, it’s time for cities to stop being held hostage by these pro sports teams that are raking in the big bucks. They’ll leave anyway if they get a good enough offer from another town (like LA or Oklahoma City or maybe overseas).[/quote]
Than Panthers are paying for 1/3 of the cost. That should be the minimum, but at least it means they are investing too and that they aren’t as likely to ask for another stadium/upgrade for a long time. The Twins put up 1/3 of the Target Field cost, so it’s in line with other agreements.
The only monies that the State should be contributing would be to any transportation improvements made on State roads in and around the stadium that may be needed. The rest should be on the City/County. Unless their is some direct income that can be measured that will come back to the State, then I don’t see how they are making anything off of any investment. The City/County will beneifit immensely from the upgrades and keeping the team in Charlotte because of all of the business it sustains and helps create in the area. I just don’t see those benefits carrying over outside of Mecklenburg.

It shouldn’t be up to the State, but the City of Charlotte and County of Mecklenburg to make that happen. These owners want all of the profit from having the team while spending none of their own funding to have a house for them to play in. The City/County needs to make sure that they spend a large enough percentage on stadium renovation/new stadium to insure that they aren’t going anywhere. The Twins did it with Target Field, and Atlanta is doing in with the Falcons new stadium.[/quote]

The state though does profit from having the team here - both SC and NC. The city should take the majority of the load, but the state kicking some in as well makes total sense.

Hell my tax dollars paid for the arena in Raleigh and what happens there contributes far less than the Panthers to the state.[/quote] I’m thinking X-49er meant that the Panthers should put up most of the cost when he said “they”, but correct me if I’m wrong. I agree, it’s time for cities to stop being held hostage by these pro sports teams that are raking in the big bucks. They’ll leave anyway if they get a good enough offer from another town (like LA or Oklahoma City or maybe overseas).[/quote]
Than Panthers are paying for 1/3 of the cost. That should be the minimum, but at least it means they are investing too and that they aren’t as likely to ask for another stadium/upgrade for a long time. The Twins put up 1/3 of the Target Field cost, so it’s in line with other agreements.
The only monies that the State should be contributing would be to any transportation improvements made on State roads in and around the stadium that may be needed. The rest should be on the City/County. Unless their is some direct income that can be measured that will come back to the State, then I don’t see how they are making anything off of any investment. The City/County will beneifit immensely from the upgrades and keeping the team in Charlotte because of all of the business it sustains and helps create in the area. I just don’t see those benefits carrying over outside of Mecklenburg.[/quote]

State income tax and state sales tax generated because of the Panthers. What I have said all along is look and see how much revenue they generate - both at the local and federal level - and then decide what to provide.

Jesus, I’d hate to be a right fielder in that park.

That’s a hell of a lot of ground to cover, along with a gigantic wall to have to play the bounce off of.

I wonder if they’re planning to install an actual outfield fence, rather than letting that gigantic wall be in play that far out.