New Vikings stadium

Very sweet: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/photo-gallery/Images-Of-The-New-Vikings-Stadium/ca0a3ace-4a19-4d9a-998c-b5fdf30b73c6#e920c847-4f15-49a7-82b3-6377d2416e32

At first glance, not a fan. Call me old fashioned but I miss the days when stadiums looked like stadiums. That might as well be a modern art museum. Very curious about the shadows.

[quote=“SteauA, post:2, topic:27781”]At first glance, not a fan. Call me old fashioned but I miss the days when stadiums looked like stadiums. That might as well be a modern art museum. Very curious about the shadows.[/quote]agree. I also wonder how much the premium is on designing a stadium this way versus a traditional looking stadium.

If you are spending tax payer dollars, practicality should be taken into consideration. I’m not saying stadiums should look ugly and utilitarian, but some of these extravagant designs have to make the projects considerably more expensive.

Can’t wait to hear what SF thinks about this one.

Wonder if they will have seatbacks

[quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:27781”][quote=“SteauA, post:2, topic:27781”]At first glance, not a fan. Call me old fashioned but I miss the days when stadiums looked like stadiums. That might as well be a modern art museum. Very curious about the shadows.[/quote]agree. I also wonder how much the premium is on designing a stadium this way versus a traditional looking stadium.

If you are spending tax payer dollars, practicality should be taken into consideration. I’m not saying stadiums should look ugly and utilitarian, but some of these extravagant designs have to make the projects considerably more expensive.[/quote]

I wouldn’t be surprised if it has a lot of “green building” qualities that helped get it approved, considering the huge initial cost. I wonder if the glass design is being used to help trap heat from sunlight to reduce heating costs in the winter.

Can’t wait to see a Minnesota blizzard collapse the roof (again). 8)

[quote=“BadDog, post:6, topic:27781”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:27781”][quote=“SteauA, post:2, topic:27781”]At first glance, not a fan. Call me old fashioned but I miss the days when stadiums looked like stadiums. That might as well be a modern art museum. Very curious about the shadows.[/quote]agree. I also wonder how much the premium is on designing a stadium this way versus a traditional looking stadium.

If you are spending tax payer dollars, practicality should be taken into consideration. I’m not saying stadiums should look ugly and utilitarian, but some of these extravagant designs have to make the projects considerably more expensive.[/quote]

I wouldn’t be surprised if it has a lot of “green building” qualities that helped get it approved, considering the huge initial cost. I wonder if the glass design is being used to help trap heat from sunlight to reduce heating costs in the winter.[/quote]

It’s not glass it’s some type of plastic, I can’t recall it’s name off the top of my head. Glass would become much to heavy. But you’re right, it will help with the heating and cooling of that building. I do know the slope of the roof is to help with shedding snow build-up since that obviously was an issue at the Metrodome.

I don’t think shadows will be an issue anymore than they are at a place like Reliant in Houston when they open the roof.

The first image I saw of it, showing the huge baydoors from one end, made it almost look like the bow of a ship, a viking ship even. Overall, it looks more like some of the European stadiums being built, which have been a hit. I did read this stadium will have green features, to be honest, something of this magnitude rarely gets built anymore with those things implemented as certain green features have become code/law, and others get people tax credits. Also, it’s good marketing.

University of Minnesota will evidently play baseball in the stadium too.

[quote=“X-49er, post:9, topic:27781”]University of Minnesota will evidently play baseball in the stadium too.

[/quote]

lol look at the shadows in this rendering. just perfect for baseball.

I don’t know if the shadows will be bothersome or not, but trying to find a flyball in the skylight isn’t going to be fun.

[quote=“X-49er, post:9, topic:27781”]University of Minnesota will evidently play baseball in the stadium too.

[/quote]

Minnesota baseball usually hosts several early season baseball tournaments in the Metro Dome each year. I’m glad they will still be able to host these tourneys, but there will be nowhere near that many people in the stands that they show in the renderings. Looks like the Twins could play there too since many of their early season hoem games get snowed out.

http://www.collegebaseballlineup.com/interwebs/tag/metrodome/

[quote=“SteauA, post:10, topic:27781”][quote=“X-49er, post:9, topic:27781”]University of Minnesota will evidently play baseball in the stadium too.

[/quote]

lol look at the shadows in this rendering. just perfect for baseball.[/quote]

Playing baseball here will be a nightmare…in perfect weather. 8)

clt says domes are lame.

To me, this is just further evidence that the state needs to put up the money to keep the panthers. It shouldn’t be this way, but we are plain and simple falling behind the curve as far as facilities go. We live in an age where a 20 year old stadium is ancient.

It shouldn’t be up to the State, but the City of Charlotte and County of Mecklenburg to make that happen. These owners want all of the profit from having the team while spending none of their own funding to have a house for them to play in. The City/County needs to make sure that they spend a large enough percentage on stadium renovation/new stadium to insure that they aren’t going anywhere. The Twins did it with Target Field, and Atlanta is doing in with the Falcons new stadium.

It shouldn’t be up to the State, but the City of Charlotte and County of Mecklenburg to make that happen. These owners want all of the profit from having the team while spending none of their own funding to have a house for them to play in. The City/County needs to make sure that they spend a large enough percentage on stadium renovation/new stadium to insure that they aren’t going anywhere. The Twins did it with Target Field, and Atlanta is doing in with the Falcons new stadium.[/quote]

The state though does profit from having the team here - both SC and NC. The city should take the majority of the load, but the state kicking some in as well makes total sense.

Hell my tax dollars paid for the arena in Raleigh and what happens there contributes far less than the Panthers to the state.

Can a cover be drawn over the skylight? I would think you could spring for a cover that can be pulled over (or moved around) depending on where the sun is and to limit uneven shadows on the field, if you’re paying that much for the rest of the building.

Some of the “green” features are more about marketing, but many will save costs in the long run. Especially if energy costs continue to go up. For a building this size, that can add up to a lot of money.

It shouldn’t be up to the State, but the City of Charlotte and County of Mecklenburg to make that happen. These owners want all of the profit from having the team while spending none of their own funding to have a house for them to play in. The City/County needs to make sure that they spend a large enough percentage on stadium renovation/new stadium to insure that they aren’t going anywhere. The Twins did it with Target Field, and Atlanta is doing in with the Falcons new stadium.[/quote]

The state though does profit from having the team here - both SC and NC. The city should take the majority of the load, but the state kicking some in as well makes total sense.

Hell my tax dollars paid for the arena in Raleigh and what happens there contributes far less than the Panthers to the state.[/quote]

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-detail-stadium-renovation-plans/55b2f431-2d35-4578-8def-b7f7c5ef3a29

If I’m not mistaken, the City has agreed to pay, and the panthers are obviously ok with paying, but the problem is that slight tax increase. From what I understand the State doesn’t want to put up the 62 million. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Hell my tax dollars paid for the arena in Raleigh and what happens there contributes far less than the Panthers to the state.[/quote] I’m thinking X-49er meant that the Panthers should put up most of the cost when he said “they”, but correct me if I’m wrong. I agree, it’s time for cities to stop being held hostage by these pro sports teams that are raking in the big bucks. They’ll leave anyway if they get a good enough offer from another town (like LA or Oklahoma City or maybe overseas).