New women's sports

Admin touched on the two-three sports we’ll need to add to be title IX compliant. Women’s golf was first mentioned. Swimming diving and rowing would be good add as CuSa sponsors all of those too

What? Not Beach Volleyball and Women’s Mudwrestling? Do we get to vote on this?

[quote=“BleEDgreen49er, post:1, topic:28145”]Admin touched on the two-three sports we’ll need to add to be title IX compliant. Women’s golf was first mentioned. Swimming diving and rowing would be good add as CuSa sponsors all of those too[/quote] Need teams with way more members than golf. We have to offset a boat load of football scholarships.

Women’s sport with the most scholarships:

Rowing - 20

There’s nothing that gets close to 85 football scholarships.

Rowing - 20

There’s nothing that gets close to 85 football scholarships.[/quote] Of course. All the more reason not to include golf. We may wind up with golf for some other reason, but it won’t be to offset many scholarships. I don’t think we have to match all 85 football scholarships, by the way. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong on that.

Rowing - 20

There’s nothing that gets close to 85 football scholarships.[/quote] Of course. All the more reason not to include golf. We may wind up with golf for some other reason, but it won’t be to offset many scholarships. I don’t think we have to match all 85 football scholarships, by the way. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong on that.[/quote]

One of the reasons to include Ladies Golf is because you’d only need to hire one additional assistance coach, since our current Golf coach can run the whole show. Every other women’s sports we can add will come with several full-time new employees.

Rowing - 20

There’s nothing that gets close to 85 football scholarships.[/quote] Of course. All the more reason not to include golf. We may wind up with golf for some other reason, but it won’t be to offset many scholarships. I don’t think we have to match all 85 football scholarships, by the way. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong on that.[/quote]

One of the reasons to include Ladies Golf is because you’d only need to hire one additional assistance coach, since our current Golf coach can run the whole show. Every other women’s sports we can add will come with several full-time new employees.[/quote]Once upon a time we had a combination Ticket Manager/Golf Coach. Back in the 80’s I guess. I do not remember his name.

Rowing - 20

One of the reasons to include Ladies Golf is because you’d only need to hire one additional assistance coach, since our current Golf coach can run the whole show. Every other women’s sports we can add will come with several full-time new employees.[/quote]Once upon a time we had a combination Ticket Manager/Golf Coach. Back in the 80’s I guess. I do not remember his name.[/quote]

Once upon a time we also had a combination Athletics Director/Men’s Basketball Coach too. You better remember their names.

Rowing - 20

One of the reasons to include Ladies Golf is because you’d only need to hire one additional assistance coach, since our current Golf coach can run the whole show. Every other women’s sports we can add will come with several full-time new employees.[/quote]Once upon a time we had a combination Ticket Manager/Golf Coach. Back in the 80’s I guess. I do not remember his name.[/quote]

Once upon a time we also had a combination Athletics Director/Men’s Basketball Coach too. You better remember their names.[/quote]That one I know.

Rowing - 20

One of the reasons to include Ladies Golf is because you’d only need to hire one additional assistance coach, since our current Golf coach can run the whole show. Every other women’s sports we can add will come with several full-time new employees.[/quote]

I would think two coaches are ample, but, I am unfamiliar with how their sport is constructed

Rowing - 20

One of the reasons to include Ladies Golf is because you’d only need to hire one additional assistance coach, since our current Golf coach can run the whole show. Every other women’s sports we can add will come with several full-time new employees.[/quote] Yes, I wasn’t familiar with the details, but the cost of coaches was something that occurred to me as a possible reason to include golf.That could very well be why its on the list to be considered. Everything comes with pluses and minuses. In any case, I doubt the administration is going to consult me when they make their decisions. :smiley:

Rowing - 20

There are three different ways to apply Title IX. Judy spoke about this at one of the football feasability meetings. She mentioned that the method we use is the most agressive (ie adds the highest number of female schollies). Considering her past it doesn’t shock me, but how we solve title IX will cost us more than a lot of other schools.

By the way Title IX is garbage - the % of men wanting to play college sports and the % of women who want to play are not equal, so why should schollies be equal? I am not saying the reason for Title IX is garbage - just how it is applied.

That is a good way to obtain BAD-FAN Status.

Sand volleyball is right there neck and neck with women’s golf for first add. You would need coaches for either add, although existing coaches could be utilized too since essentially the same sport is already being played.

Golf is pretty much assured I heard tonight at soccer. Also, as has been posted above, there are different paths to compliance with Title IX, none of which require 85 scholarships.

Not really anything new, but confirmation of old news. David Scott has confirmed women’s golf will be the first Title IX sport added.

By my count, if we were using the full scholarships allowed, before we added football, we had 56.2 scholarship male athletes and 79 scholarship female athletes.

Men’s Varsity Sports
Scholarship limit per Member School NCAA I
Baseball 11.7
Basketball - NCAA I is a head count sport 13
Cross Country - NCAA limits include Track & Field 12.6
Football - NCAA I FBS - head count sport 85
Golf 4.5
Soccer 9.9
Tennis 4.5
Track & Field - NCAA limits include Cross Country 12.6

Women’s Varsity Sports
Scholarship limit per Member School NCAA I
Basketball - NCAA I is a head count sport 15
Bowling 5
Cross Country - NCAA limits include Track & Field 18
Fencing 5
Equestrian 15
Field Hockey 12
Golf 6
Gymnastics - NCAA I is a head count sport 12
Ice Hockey 18
Lacrosse 12
Rifle - Includes men on co-ed teams 3.6
Rowing 20
Rugby 12
Sand (Beach) Volleyball * 3
Skiing 7
Soccer 14
Softball 12
Swimming & Diving 14
Tennis - NCAA I is a head count sport 8
Track & Field - NCAA limits include Cross Country 18
Volleyball - NCAA I is a head count sport 12
Water Polo 8

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

I will buy season tix for sand v-ball & mud wrestling.

Yeah, I always wondered why there was no men’s Title 9 for home ec, teaching, & nursing classes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions#comply

Q. How does an institution comply with Title IX?

An institution must meet all of the following requirements in order to be in compliance with Title IX:

1. For participation requirements, institutions officials must meet one of the following three tests. An institution may:
    • Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;
    • Demonstrate a history and continuing practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex;
    • Fully and effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex; and,

2. Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and,

3. Equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the eleven provisions as mentioned above.

EDIT: UNC Charlotte’s ratio is: 51% Male, 49% Female

Rowing - 20

There are three different ways to apply Title IX. Judy spoke about this at one of the football feasability meetings. She mentioned that the method we use is the most agressive (ie adds the highest number of female schollies). Considering her past it doesn’t shock me, but how we solve title IX will cost us more than a lot of other schools.

By the way Title IX is garbage - the % of men wanting to play college sports and the % of women who want to play are not equal, so why should schollies be equal? I am not saying the reason for Title IX is garbage - just how it is applied.[/quote]

I had no problem with title 9, but I have a problem with all the schools that cut wrestling teams to get compliant. Other sports too if course but I dig wrestling. I’m glad we are not cutting any sports to get compliant.