News 14: U of Charlotte?

[QUOTE=NinerNirvana;288190]As you can tell by my “posts” count, I don’t post that often. However, I am very passionate about this topic and need to bring up a very crucial point that I brought up on this board a few years ago. Advocates of the name change must anticipate objections like this young woman has. She probably knows how she feels, but has she thought it through? The only way I know to effectively prepare for these objections is to craft a carefully worded “position paper” that is much more in-depth than a resolution. I cannot emphasize enough that this must be done in order for a campaign for the name change to be successful. As I have said before, a resolution like this will fall flat on its face without one. Maybe this is the job of the committee that the SGA wants to set up. A position paper like this should cover problems with our university name that have arisen in the past (with approximate dates and references), the benefits of a name change, what other university systems from other states have done with school name changes, answers to every objection imaginable, etc. This document should be flexible enough to be updated as needed. After a position paper is complete, informal lobbying efforts need to be done among the “movers and shakers” of the alumni and some of the officials listed under the mandates section of the resolution. Oh, one more thing … don’t give up and don’t take no for an answer![/QUOTE]

Seriously debating making this post a sticky. I wholeheartedly agree. Excellent advice.

As you can tell by my "posts" count, I don't post that often. However, I am very passionate about this topic and need to bring up a very crucial point that I brought up on this board a few years ago. Advocates of the name change must anticipate objections like this young woman has. She probably knows how she feels, but has she thought it through? The only way I know to effectively prepare for these objections is to craft a carefully worded "position paper" that is much more in-depth than a resolution. I cannot emphasize enough that this must be done in order for a campaign for the name change to be successful. As I have said before, a resolution like this will fall flat on its face without one. Maybe this is the job of the committee that the SGA wants to set up. A position paper like this should cover problems with our university name that have arisen in the past (with approximate dates and references), the benefits of a name change, what other university systems from other states have done with school name changes, answers to every objection imaginable, etc. This document should be flexible enough to be updated as needed. After a position paper is complete, informal lobbying efforts need to be done among the "movers and shakers" of the alumni and some of the officials listed under the mandates section of the resolution. Oh, one more thing ... don't give up and don't take no for an answer!

I agree. The problem I mostly see is that the people who are against the name change aren’t even for the University in general. If you ask them I would bet most of them either intend on transferring or pull for other schools in sports. I don’t understand why those people’s opinions even count.

IMO, many of those that say “oh, well the name change isn’t important” or “it won’t happen anyway” say that simply because they are apathetic, or are too lazy to take a side and find an argument, so they just go with the quid pro quo, because it’ the easy way out. And of course, the quid pro quo in Raleigh and in chapel hell gladly accept their laziness because it supports their opinion.

So the more we make this seem like it could be a reality, the more bandwagon support we’ll recieve.

And on another note… did anybody notice that the constant zooming in on UNCC around campus made the spot on N14C look like Cloverfield?

IMO, many of those that say "oh, well the name change isn't important" or "it won't happen anyway" say that simply because they are apathetic, or are too lazy to take a side and find an argument, so they just go with the quid pro quo, because it' the easy way out. And of course, the quid pro quo in Raleigh and in chapel hell gladly accept their laziness because it supports their opinion.

So the more we make this seem like it could be a reality, the more bandwagon support we’ll recieve.

And on another note… did anybody notice that the constant zooming in on UNCC around campus made the spot on N14C look like Cloverfield?

quid quo pro is doing favors, scratching each others back

I think you mean “status quo”

quid quo pro is doing favors, scratching each others back

I think you mean “status quo”

you would be correct… just making sure you’re paying attention :tongue:

IMO, many of those that say "oh, well the name change isn't important" or "it won't happen anyway" say that simply because they are apathetic, or are too lazy to take a side and find an argument, so they just go with the quid pro quo, because it' the easy way out. And of course, the quid pro quo in Raleigh and in chapel hell gladly accept their laziness because it supports their opinion.

APATHETIC, that’s the word I was looking for. It pisses me off that they think their opinion matters.

How about Charlotte University of North Carolina? Sort of like Miami University of Ohio. Just throwing that out there. I know ya’ll will shoot it down.

No,
don’t complicate it

[QUOTE=Normmm;288196]I agree. The problem I mostly see is that the people who are against the name change aren’t even for the University in general. If you ask them I would bet most of them either intend on transferring or pull for other schools in sports. I don’t understand why those people’s opinions even count.[/QUOTE]

That’s a pretty big assumption. I am a graduate and a loyal Niner, but I do not support a name change. I was very involved on campus as a student and continue to do so now. So don’t assume that the only people that are against a name change are unilaterally poor fans or alumni.

We could pull off Charlotte U of NC w/out a name change approval by the BOG.
Just have the Chancellor act dumb that he doesn’t know how the name got reversed!

Considering our athletics changed the name to avoid confusion, I don’t see where the non benefit argument comes from. Now there’s just confusion for the university, and our Univ. and athletics almost sound like a different entity and one gets called the other and whatnot.

Watch News 14 about some news on that stupid UNCP billboard.

That's a pretty big assumption. I am a graduate and a loyal Niner, but I do not support a name change. I was very involved on campus as a student and continue to do so now. So don't assume that the only people that are against a name change are unilaterally poor fans or alumni.
Maybe it she be in another thread so as not to highjack, but why are you against it?

If that isn’t a kick in the azz, I click to watch the video and get an video ad to apply to UNC Pembroke!

I agree. The problem I mostly see is that the people who are against the name change aren't even for the University in general. If you ask them I would bet most of them either intend on transferring or pull for other schools in sports. I don't understand why those people's opinions even count.
That's a pretty big assumption. I am a graduate and a loyal Niner, but I do not support a name change. I was very involved on campus as a student and continue to do so now. So don't assume that the only people that are against a name change are unilaterally poor fans or alumni.

I agree not all. That’s why I said “mostly” and “most”. And it’s not an assumption. I’m basing this off of my direct experience. I’ve hardly come across any fans who regularly attend games that don’t also support the name change. I now they’re out there though. But I think the number is small.

Try it out. Whenever you come across an alum, ask them if they support a name change. If they say no, then ask them about their sport allegiances.

What are your reasons for being against it?

Does this Darren Morehead post here?

No, but he does now. I saw the ‘Name Confusion Log’ on here, and will be reading it in its entirety tonight at the meeting when questions are brought up.

As for the recommendations of an official policy, that will be done by the committee. If you recall, a similar committee was created for football, and that is beginning to take hold.

It seems like I agree with a ton of the initiatives on here, and I wish I’d registered sooner!

-DTM

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;290299]No, but he does now. I saw the ‘Name Confusion Log’ on here, and will be reading it in its entirety tonight at the meeting when questions are brought up.

As for the recommendations of an official policy, that will be done by the committee. If you recall, a similar committee was created for football, and that is beginning to take hold.

It seems like I agree with a ton of the initiatives on here, and I wish I’d registered sooner!

-DTM[/QUOTE]

Welcome brother! Welcome!

Oh, and for those of you that are able, the senate meeting is in Cone 210 at 5. Feel free to come late!

http://sga.uncc.edu/senate/agenda/01312008

Oh, and for those of you that are able, the senate meeting is in Cone 210 at 5. Feel free to come late!

http://sga.uncc.edu/senate/agenda/01312008

So what time do you think you’re going to get to IX on the agenda?

You seem like you have your head on straight - what are your objections? I’m interested to get some thought out answers other than some of the stuff I’ve been hearing from others in opposition