Newsgroups

anyone out there use Newsgroups to download stuff? Looks intriguing, I just don’t know much about it and how good it works.

DL what kind of stuff? Music or what?

you can DL anything and everything from what I hear. for example, xbox 360 games. Of course to get them to work, you have to mod the console, which I might attempt to do once I get it

try bit torrent.

I like bit torrent. I’m actually downloading The Pursuit of Happyness, We are Marshall, and Pan’s Labyrinth right now. I just finished downloading V for Vendetta and American Beauty. It’s relatively quick and you can find pretty much anything you want to.

Newsgroups is awesome as is my number one option when I download movies, games, and apps. If your ISP has a good news server the speeds are awesome(at the edge I get about 350 kb/s). Not to mention it is the safest way to download stuff.

right now I use MIRC, which, I love. I get almost anything I want with it. But when I get my xbox 360, I’ll want to be about to get games for it, and those aren’t on there. Everytime i’ve dealt with bit torrent, the speeds have been terrible.

[QUOTE=moss2k;210639]right now I use MIRC, which, I love. I get almost anything I want with it. But when I get my xbox 360, I’ll want to be about to get games for it, and those aren’t on there. Everytime i’ve dealt with bit torrent, the speeds have been terrible.[/QUOTE]

You just need to open up the bit torrent ports on your router/modem, there are a lot of sites out there that will guide you through it.

http://portforward.com/default.htm

I’ll ask this since I don’t want to spend 10 uears in prison…How can you still get away with downloading stuff. I wasn’t worried about Napster and Kazaa until they started suing 13 year olds.

Newsgroups is awesome as is my number one option when I download movies, games, and apps. If your ISP has a good news server the speeds are awesome(at the edge I get about 350 kb/s). Not to mention it is the safest way to download stuff.

I could not agree more… Torrents of any music or movies can be dangerous. There are honey pots out there in torrent land. With the newsgroups, what are they gonna do? In my case at least, my ISP has cloe to 20-30 days retention and I can download as fast as my pipe will allow. Essentially, no one but the ISP is watching and they’re the ones providing it in the first place.

The only way I would think about doing music or movies, if I did that kind of thing:shades:, would be newsgroups. It’s fatal flaw is that it’s not like torrents or P2P, what’s out there changes all teh time as news posts expire on the news servers. Also, it’s a little harder to get into and understand, which is probably why it’s not policed by anyone yet.

anyone know if TWC is affiliated with newsgroups? If so, how do I get started. Thanks for all the info guys.

Newsgroups (or usenet as it’s also called) is the greatest ever, especially if you’re downloading directly from your own ISP. I’d highly suggest it learning about it Moss. If you are computer-proficient enough to learn to use IRC to download stuff, then Usenet should be no problem for you whatsoever.

My best suggestion would be to use [URL=http://www.newsleecher.com/]Newsleecher[/URL]. It’s a newsgroup reader, but customized forthe purpose of downloading binaries.

Here are some groups to help get you started:
alt.binaries.movies.divx
alt.binaries.cd.image
alt.binaries.mp3.complete.cd

Since you’re already an avid IRC user, you might also appreciate how the web, IRC and usenet work together. Check out [URL=http://www.alt-bin.com]http://www.alt-bin.com[/URL]. This group (whoever they are) use certain IRC channels to take and complete requests using a database system they designed. The website is there to allow you to keep track of it all while you’re not in IRC.

I believe it’s new-server.carolina.rr.com

TWC has a newsgroups server: news-server.carolina.rr.com

It’s a service they offer their subscribers, like email, but their main function is not providing Usenet servers. They can be really expensive to maintain because they require so much storage capacity. As a result, their completion and retention rates are not so great, but their download speeds are incredible. Your best bet is to use them and suplement them with a usenet service you pay for. Then you’ve got the best of both worlds.