Nice deal for owners of defunct St. Louis ABA team

St. Louis franchise (aka Carolina Cougars prior to relocating) was one of two teams left out of the NBA-ABA merger back in the mid-70s. Looks like the Silna brothers could walk away with at least $800 million on this one!

SI.com: Report: NBA to buy out Spirits of St. Louis owners’ TV rights

STLToday.com: Brothers who were paid to not have a basketball team in St. Louis reach deal with NBA

What? No deal for Jackie Moon and the Detroit Tropics?

Were the Carolina Cougars a women’s team?

Yep, but only 40+ year old housewives.

If this is a serious question…no, they weren’t. They were an ABA team HQ’d in Charlotte, but also played a few games in Greensboro and maybe Raleigh. Coached by Larry Brown.

[quote=“919R, post:5, topic:28558”]They were an ABA team HQ’d in Charlotte, but also played a few games in Greensboro and maybe Raleigh. Coached by Larry Brown.[/quote]Actually based in Greensboro, with some games played at the original Charlotte Coliseum. Remember seeing them play the NY Nets in Charlotte way back when. My most vivid memory of that contest was a reverse slam dunk by Dr. J!

Wikipedia.org: Carolina Cougars

some outstanding basketball talent in that photo. Besides Irving, I see David Thompson and, I think, Dan Issel.

My god, David Thompson. My pick for greatest college player ever. That guy… just damn.
NBA pick: Wilt the Stilt

[quote=“NewNiner, post:8, topic:28558”]My god, David Thompson. My pick for greatest college player ever. That guy… just damn.
NBA pick: Wilt the Stilt[/quote]

solid choices

Speaking of Thompson and Issel, that reminds me of also going to a Denver Nuggets vs. New Orleans Jazz pre-merger exhibition in Charlotte. Nuggets won the game but some guy named Maravich really lit it up for the Jazz that night!

[quote=“NewNiner, post:8, topic:28558”]My god, David Thompson. My pick for greatest college player ever. That guy… just damn.
NBA pick: Wilt the Stilt[/quote]