Nick Banyard - 5th year PF visiting

Banyard is a 6’8 225lbs 5th year from Illinois State. He’ll visit us and UCF next week, per CBS Sports. He went to New Mexico out of HS. In HS he played along side of Marcus Smart, who went to Oklahoma State. Current Niner assistant Chris Ferguson was on OK State’s staff and the recruiting coordinator.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61496/nick-banyard

clt assumes he could play this fall?

[quote=“cltniners, post:2, topic:30343”]clt assumes he could play this fall?[/quote]Yes, eligible immediately.

solid for a fifth year transfer. depth guy, not great numbers but not horrible. not a defensive or shotblocking presence, which sort of sucks but i still believe that we will be really good this season.

We need to close the deal while he is on campus. Would like a rim protector but more depth at the PF position can only help us.

I know it’s not all about stats, but his stats are horrible.

Look back at Uchebo’s stats while at Pittsburgh and compare to what he did here.

[table][tr][td]Year[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Min[/td] [td]FGM[/td] [td]FGA[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3PM[/td] [td]3PA[/td] [td]3PT%[/td] [td]FTM[/td] [td]FTA[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]Off[/td] [td]Def[/td] [td]Reb[/td] [td]Ast[/td] [td]TO[/td] [td]Stl[/td] [td]Blk[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]Pts[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2013-14[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]2.6[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]0.6[/td] [td]40.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]0.6[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.4[/td] [td]0.4[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]2014-15[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]6.2[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]38.9[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]75.0[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]1.2[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]0.3[/td] [td]0.0[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]1.5[/td][/tr][/table]

can we please stop using this logic? i have no problem with signing this kid but his situation and uchebo’s are not comparable. ucehbo was still recovering from microfracture surgery. thats like looking at a kid’s ranking and offers and saying, “steph curry wasen’t highly ranked coming out of high school.” i hope this guy does what uchebo does if he does come here but lets stop with this silly logic.

I’m betting the staff likes his shooting range. He shot 34.3 on 70 attempts from 3 last season. He’s worth a flier, especially since we’d still have another schollie after him. He’d be an interesting fit next to Washington, white,Davis and Braxton in a small ball lineup

[quote=“919R, post:7, topic:30343”]Look back at Uchebo’s stats while at Pittsburgh and compare to what he did here.[/quote]eh, this guy got pretty meaningful minutes at a school in a comparable conference to CUSA. He played damn near half the game last season. We’d know pretty well what we’re getting with Banyard. The only way I see a meaningful difference in his stats from Ill State to here is if the scheme run there just didn’t fit his skill set well.

I’d be inclined to agree with you if this guy was a soph or even junior that got recruited over and just never really got a chance to play, but that’s not the case here. He’s had a lot of opportunity to play and he just looks like good depth off the bench, which is fine, because we need that.

Banyard certainly seems like a stretch four type of player, will provide more spacing on the on the floor with his ability to shoot the 3 at 6’8. In theory, he’ll help open up the driving lanes.

can we please stop using this logic? i have no problem with signing this kid but his situation and uchebo’s are not comparable. ucehbo was still recovering from microfracture surgery. thats like looking at a kid’s ranking and offers and saying, “steph curry wasen’t highly ranked coming out of high school.” i hope this guy does what uchebo does if he does come here but lets stop with this silly logic.[/quote]

I simply posted that as a reminder that we sometimes assume what someone did one place is a guarantee that they will do the same in another.

[quote=“Niner National, post:11, topic:30343”][quote=“919R, post:7, topic:30343”]Look back at Uchebo’s stats while at Pittsburgh and compare to what he did here.[/quote]eh, this guy got pretty meaningful minutes at a school in a comparable conference to CUSA. He played damn near half the game last season. We’d know pretty well what we’re getting with Banyard. The only way I see a meaningful difference in his stats from Ill State to here is if the scheme run there just didn’t fit his skill set well.

I’d be inclined to agree with you if this guy was a soph or even junior that got recruited over and just never really got a chance to play, but that’s not the case here. He’s had a lot of opportunity to play and he just looks like good depth off the bench, which is fine, because we need that.[/quote]

All true NN. However, (again) I remember reading posts on this board last year (after Uchebo signed) discussing Joe’s “lack of production” (for whatever reason/injuries, etc.) and how we shouldn’t expect much from him at all other than maybe 5-10 minutes and 3-4 rebounds/game. That was my only point (ie; you never know, and not that I am expecting this guy will do the same, but at the same time—none of us expected Joe to be able to do what he did).

Hum, I think we can do better. But at least he is an experienced big body. If we kind find any 3 or 4 year guys I guess he can add some depth.

You can’t have a team full of 13 stars. This guy adds depth inside. And no risk cause he’d one and done. Besides shooting the 3 his other offensive numbers aren’t good…but, who do we have on our team next year who could guard a college PF? Washington, and that’s about it. I’ll take a 6’8’’ experienced guy for the fouls and defense alone. Anything on offense is a bonus.

Committed to UCF.

This is getting ridiculous… I’m starting to get worried about our ability to recruit a big.

we recruited a few already for this class, so i dont think its that we cant get one, perhaps ucf was able to offer him pt and we werent and that was the selling point.

we recruited a few already for this class, so i dont think its that we cant get one, perhaps ucf was able to offer him pt and we werent and that was the selling point.[/quote]

We were thin as hell last year and lost our only dependable post player, playing time is not the issue here.