Niner Attendance Policy

As you may or may not know, I teach at UNCC now. Just part-time. Nothing fancy.

I’m polishing my syllabus for the first day of class tomorrow, and I came up with the following attendance policy that I thought you guys would like to see:

“Niner Attendance Policy: By being enrolled as a student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, you have become inducted into a special group; you are now a Niner. Congratulations. One of the fundamental parts of being a Niner is loyalty to your school. This can manifest itself in many ways, but the one that is most relevant to our course is the wearing of the apparel of other universities or colleges. This is strictly forbidden. Niners do not wear other schools’ apparel on campus. To do so is to cease to be a Niner, and, as only UNC Charlotte students are eligible to take my course, any student wearing the apparel of another school in my classroom will be marked as absent.”

I will probably end up taking this out, but it isn’t even close to the most arbitrary attendance policy I’ve seen from my colleagues. Some of them mark you absent if you bring your phone into the classroom with you. I swear to god.

[quote=“TheNinerAlchemist, post:1, topic:30482”]As you may or may not know, I teach at UNCC now. Just part-time. Nothing fancy.

I’m polishing my syllabus for the first day of class tomorrow, and I came up with the following attendance policy that I thought you guys would like to see:

“Niner Attendance Policy: By being enrolled as a student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, you have become inducted into a special group; you are now a Niner. Congratulations. One of the fundamental parts of being a Niner is loyalty to your school. This can manifest itself in many ways, but the one that is most relevant to our course is the wearing of the apparel of other universities or colleges. This is strictly forbidden. Niners do not wear other schools’ apparel on campus. To do so is to cease to be a Niner, and, as only UNC Charlotte students are eligible to take my course, any student wearing the apparel of another school in my classroom will be marked as absent.”

I will probably end up taking this out, but it isn’t even close to the most arbitrary attendance policy I’ve seen from my colleagues. Some of them mark you absent if you bring your phone into the classroom with you. I swear to god.[/quote] Seems fair to me. ;D

[quote=“TheNinerAlchemist, post:1, topic:30482”]As you may or may not know, I teach at UNCC now. Just part-time. Nothing fancy.

I will probably end up taking this out, but it isn’t even close to the most arbitrary attendance policy I’ve seen from my colleagues. Some of them mark you absent if you bring your phone into the classroom with you. I swear to god.[/quote]

Can we make this a part of every syllabus across the entire university? I love it. You should definitely keep it.

[quote=“Submarley734, post:3, topic:30482”][quote=“TheNinerAlchemist, post:1, topic:30482”]As you may or may not know, I teach at UNCC now. Just part-time. Nothing fancy.

I will probably end up taking this out, but it isn’t even close to the most arbitrary attendance policy I’ve seen from my colleagues. Some of them mark you absent if you bring your phone into the classroom with you. I swear to god.[/quote]

Can we make this a part of every syllabus across the entire university? I love it. You should definitely keep it.[/quote]

Brilliant and needed. Keep it!

You could compromise and say all the traitors can wear their filthy gear if they stand up and sing our university’s alma mater… ACTUALLY, might be more telling if they’re unable to sing the other schools’ alma mater.

clt likes the cut of your jib.

[quote=“cltniners, post:6, topic:30482”]clt likes the cut of your jib.[/quote] Clt best be keeping that knife away from MY jib.

Very nice! ;D

:o GREAT JOB!!! 8)

TRIVIA TIME!

That phrase has nothing to do with scissors, knives, or any cutting tool.

The jib is the smaller triangular sail on the front of a sailboat. Its “cut” or “trim” refers to the amount of slack the jib is given and the angle it flies to the wind.

A sailor can see from a distance the cut of another boat’s jib and can tell whether the boat is sailing aggressively into the wind, or slowly with the wind at its back.

TRIVIA TIME!

The jib is the smaller triangular sail on the front of a sailboat. Its “cut” or “trim” refers to the amount of slack the jib is given and the angle it flies to the wind.

A sailor can see from a distance the cut of another boat’s jib and can tell whether the boat is sailing aggressively into the wind, or slowly with the wind at its back.[/quote] Everybody knows that, but did you know you can save 15% in 15 minutes with Geico.

Wish you had posted before I took the trouble to look this up. ;D

clt does not have a jib.

This is good news. Zeppelins are not the safest mode of transportation on windy days.

Congratulations on the new job Alchemist, and welcome back.

The Nuggets had the day off and went to the Bookstore this afternoon to look for some pre-football goodies. I also had them hold our Football tickets and picked them up at the Ticket Office. Campus was slammed with people coming back to school. I think I saw more Niner gear on people than I ever have outside of a sporting event. It was good to see, and the big selection in the Bookstore has to be a part of the reason.

[quote=“Nugget, post:14, topic:30482”]Congratulations on the new job Alchemist, and welcome back.

The Nuggets had the day off and went to the Bookstore this afternoon to look for some pre-football goodies. I also had them hold our Football tickets and picked them up at the Ticket Office. Campus was slammed with people coming back to school. I think I saw more Niner gear on people than I ever have outside of a sporting event. It was good to see, and the big selection in the Bookstore has to be a part of the reason.[/quote]

Did the AD have any presence at the Union talking to students and parents about football?

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:15, topic:30482”][quote=“Nugget, post:14, topic:30482”]Congratulations on the new job Alchemist, and welcome back.

The Nuggets had the day off and went to the Bookstore this afternoon to look for some pre-football goodies. I also had them hold our Football tickets and picked them up at the Ticket Office. Campus was slammed with people coming back to school. I think I saw more Niner gear on people than I ever have outside of a sporting event. It was good to see, and the big selection in the Bookstore has to be a part of the reason.[/quote]

Did the AD have any presence at the Union talking to students and parents about football?[/quote]

No clue.

[quote=“Nugget, post:14, topic:30482”]Congratulations on the new job Alchemist, and welcome back.

clt says we beat our school up a lot here, but school spirit is growing every year. Charlotte is a highly desirable university in the southeast.

Baba booey

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:15, topic:30482”][quote=“Nugget, post:14, topic:30482”]Congratulations on the new job Alchemist, and welcome back.

Did the AD have any presence at the Union talking to students and parents about football?[/quote]
Only outreach I’ve heard of is Konawalik trying to get the greeks to show up.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Konawalik/status/767416051277651968

[quote=“Nugget, post:16, topic:30482”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:15, topic:30482”][quote=“Nugget, post:14, topic:30482”]Congratulations on the new job Alchemist, and welcome back.

No clue.[/quote]

This is an example of low fruit. All it takes is a tent and an AD person and maybe a football player or someone off the staff standing at a tent handing something out talking about the football game. Move in weekend is the same thing. Parents on campus are easy marks to sell a season ticket package to. When we were selling FSLs the AD said they didn’t have the time. I went up there with a few others and did it ourselves. This is an example of how poorly run we are. How can we expect this AD to get the word out to the Charlotte metro area, when we can’t take the necessary steps on our own damn campus.

TRIVIA TIME!

A sailor can see from a distance the cut of another boat’s jib and can tell whether the boat is sailing aggressively into the wind, or slowly with the wind at its back.[/quote]

I came to know of this expression back when Dennis Miller was the color commentator for Monday Night Football in 2000. He used it to describe Al Groh of all people.