Niner Baseball- Week 2

Baseball travels to High Point today and returns home this weekend for a 3 game set with Toledo.

High Point is predicted to finish 3rd in the Big South by Baseball America and should be a good early measuring stick for us. Yermal is on the mound for us today.

• High Point coach Craig Cozart expects the Panthers to field their best team since he arrived in 2009. The pitching staff is deeper than it has been and features three power-armed Jr. RHPs that can reach the low 90s in the weekend rotation: Malcolm Clapsaddle, Jacob Newberry and Jared Avidon. The bullpen also has a hard-throwing anchor in R-So. RHP Jaime Schultz (5-0, 4.84, 58 IP/68 SO), who flashes mid-90s heat and a swing-and-miss curveball. The centerpiece of the veteran lineup is Jr. OF Ryan Retz (.288/.347/.459, 7 HR, 43 RBI), the team's leading home run hitter a year ago.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205383890

In 2011, Yermal was 6-3 last season for the 49ers, with a 3.06 earned run average in 12 games. [b]Yermal is second in the nation in career wins entering the 2012 season, with 24.[/b]

Not bad for a 4th starter.

Free audio stream:

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/charlotte.portal#

Twitter updates:

http://twitter.com/#!/49ergameday

Pay video stream, $4.95 for this game only:

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?mid=6018

https://www.nmnathletics.com/subs/Landing.dbml?TRACK_CROSS_DOMAIN=&gclid=&db_oem_id=4800

We just got pounded by High Point 12-5.

(World) Football school.

What a game. Nothing that can’t be fixed. We are going to need either Yermal or Bryan (hopefully both) to take a giant step forward. Not what I was expecting from either of those guys. The weekend rotation looks solid, but we really need a solid fourth guy.

Elwood is making a lot of errors tight now. You almost expect that from a freshman. He’ll get it together. The last guy to play second for us held the spot down for four years and he is capable of doing the same.

Clemmons had another solid start. Two hits, two runs and a SB I think.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:5, topic:26393”]What a game. Nothing that can’t be fixed. We are going to need either Yermal or Bryan (hopefully both) to take a giant step forward. Not what I was expecting from either of those guys. The weekend rotation looks solid, but we really need a solid fourth guy.

Elwood is making a lot of errors tight now. You almost expect that from a freshman. He’ll get it together. The last guy to play second for us held the spot down for four years and he is capable of doing the same.[/quote]

Hate to say it, but it seems that Yermal has not really improved much since his freshman year. I expected big things from him when he arrived here.

[quote=“919R, post:7, topic:26393”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:5, topic:26393”]What a game. Nothing that can’t be fixed. We are going to need either Yermal or Bryan (hopefully both) to take a giant step forward. Not what I was expecting from either of those guys. The weekend rotation looks solid, but we really need a solid fourth guy.

Elwood is making a lot of errors tight now. You almost expect that from a freshman. He’ll get it together. The last guy to play second for us held the spot down for four years and he is capable of doing the same.[/quote]

Hate to say it, but it seems that Yermal has not really improved much since his freshman year. I expected big things from him when he arrived here.[/quote]

He hasn’t been the same since injuring his shoulder (I think it was his shoulder) season before last. That seem to be a big blow to his confidence. However, he was very strong the end of last season. The staff will work with him and hopefully bring him back around.

That’s one of the good things about baseball. One game doesn’t mean that much. The Big South is a good baseball league, so that won’t hurt us. Anyway, it’s not like we knocked ourselves out of at-large consideration today. We’ve still got to win the conference tournament. Got to love the A-10. At least we’ve got our basketball nice and protected…

I’m pretty sure we were being considered for an at-large bid last year had we failed to win the A10.

clt says at least we have men’s soccer.

Doubt it. We got in as a 3 seed and they were considering giving us a 4 seed. If we would have played in the Chapel Hill or Columbia Regional we probably would have been a 4. They ‘rewarded’ us with a 3 seed but we had to go out West. I thought we should have been on the upper end of the 3 seeds, but what do I know?

Dissapointing game yesterday, but as Alumnus said, these are things that can be fixed. Allowing 5 unearned runs and hitting a school record 7 batters is hard to overcome.

Some positives to take away are that Freshman Leland Clemmons had another solid game in his 2nd start. Led off the game with a 2b and scored. Went 2-4 with an SB. Another Freshman, Derek Gallello stepped in for Basen at third and went 2-2 with 2 RBIs and an SB in his first collegiate action. I doubt he will get much PT at 3B with Basen there. It should be interesting to see how the season pans out with the Freshmen.

Don’t worry Title 9 for FB will make us a Girl’s Lacrosse & Girl’s Field Hockey school.

Sadly, SCK may be correct.

I’m not worried about the baseball loss… Yet. I remember us going to Columbia in REGULAR SEASON one year and winnng something like 18-2 (or so it seemed), but USC still proved to have the better team in post season.

it’s baseball, 3-1 is .750 ball.

I’ll take it at seasons end, something like 36-12 sounds about right (not sure of amount of games)

[quote=“hootie, post:14, topic:26393”]it’s baseball, 3-1 is .750 ball.

I’ll take it at seasons end, something like 36-12 sounds about right (not sure of amount of games)[/quote]

.750 ball with the A10 schedule would mean little chance of an at large bid unfortunately.

probably not getting one anyway unless something outrageous happens like 50-5

FWIW, High Point beat Wake Forest today.

Interesting that Wake pitchers hit 5 batters to our 7. HPU definitely knows how to take one for the team.

That’s Bush League.

3 Game series with Toledo this weekend. Saturday the 49ers will be retiring Adam Mills’ jersey in a pregame ceremony.

Toledo took their opening series at Western Kentucky 2-1 last weekend.

Baseball America projected Toledo to finish 2nd in the Western Division of the MAC this season and listed RHP Mike Hammann and RHP Lincoln Rassi as 2 of the top prospects in the MAC.

Their starting rotation will likely be RHP Hammann on Friday, RHP Radon on Saturday, and RHP Locke on Sunday.

Their offense is led by 2 lefties, CF Ben Hammer and 1B Mark Lapiskas in the middle of their lineup. Their SS Dan Zuchowski is projected to win Freshman of the Year in the MAC.

I will be dissapointed with anything less than a sweep this weekend.