Niner Baseball- Week 5

After a rough week where the Niners went winless (0-4) vs. Holy Cross and @ Mizzou, the Niners return home to arguably a tougher week. While Charlotte has the benefit of being at home, they will face a USC-Upstate team that is 12-1 and a Dallas Baptist team that was in the Super Regionals last year. This will be the final weekend series before A-10 play starts up next weekend.

USC-Upstate is 12-1 with their only loss coming to a Top 30 Kentucky team. They were picked to finish last in the Atlantic Sun by the coaches in the pre-season poll. The Niners pounded the Spartans last season 18-6 at the Hayes, but this years team seems to be much improved.

The Niners lost the series down in Dallas Baptist last year 2 games to 1. While DBU lost some significant pieces of their Super Regional team, they still had high expectations coming into the season. One thing is for certain, they can hit!!! They were one of the best offensive teams in the country last year.

Here is the College Sports Madness preview of Dallas Baptist:

[b]2011:[/b] 42-20 [b]2011 Postseason:[/b] Eliminated in Santa Clara NCAA super-regional (lost twice to California) [b]Coach:[/b] Dan Heefner

Field Players:
Outfielder Landon Anderson (see Who to Watch) leads a group of solid returning athletes that hope to withstand the graduation of Jason Krizan and Tyler Robbins. Krizan was a demon (.413 average, 10 home runs, 81 runs batted in) and Robbins (.316-10-40) also provided plenty of home run pop for Dallas Baptist. Utility player Ryan Behmanesh hit .318 with 57 runs, 77 hits and 51 RBI. He doesn’t have a lot of power in his bat, and that could be a problem, but others will likely step in. Infielder Joel Hutter is likely one of those key players, what with nine homers and 50 RBIs to his credit and a .303 batting average.

Pitchers:
This could be the team’s weak spot. Jared Stafford and Brandon Williamson, who combined for an 18-9 overall record and 134 strikeouts, are both graduates. Jordan Staples, who went 6-2 with a 5.27 earned run average in 10 starts, may be Dallas Baptist’s best hope entering 2012. Michael Smith (1-2, 4.86) had a decent 26/46 walk-strikeout ratio in relief and may need use as a starter if the Patriots’ pitching corps is thinned. Chris Haney, who accounted for 15 saves in a closer role, is also a graduate, but Taylor Massey (4.85 ERA in 10 appearances) picked up the only other save and likely is the stopper entering this season.

Who to Watch:
The graduation of decorated All-Americans like Krisan and Robbins leaves the door open for OF Landon Anderson to become the team’s go-to guy. A hometown product who played in the Dallas suburb of Grapevine, this is Anderson’s final season with the Patriots, and he has some big shoes to fill. It shouldn’t be hard. Last year Anderson batted a robust .356 with 89 hits, seven homers, 58 RBIs and a team-leading 21 stolen bases. Anderson will have plenty of help this year to keep the team on an even keel, but there’s a good chance Anderson will become a 2012 All-American and a possible MLB draft pick if everything works out.

Final Projection:
If Dallas Baptist can overcome the loss of its top pitchers and hitters, the Patriots could make another run at NCAA success. They aren’t shying away from quality opponents, as Rice, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are on the schedule. If reserve players like IF Kenny Hatcher (.287-2-48) and C/P Duncan McAlpine (.270-9-38) can improve from last year, some holes could fill in quickly.

Projected Postseason: NCAA

Returning Leaders:
At bats: Landon Anderson, OF, 250
Hits: Landon Anderson, OF, 89
Home Runs: Kenny Hatcher, IF, and Duncan McAlpine, C, 9
RBIs: Landon Anderson, OF, 58
Runs: Landon Anderson, OF, 72
Stolen Bases: Landon Anderson, OF, 21

Wins: Jordan Staples, P, 6
Innings Pitched: Jordan Staples, P, 54.2
Strikeouts: Michael Smith, P, 46
Saves: Taylor Massey, P, 1

Madness 2012 MLB Draft Rankings:
#64 Landon Anderson

Thanks for brightening up my day Kevin.

At this time, we are still 2 games above 500. I’ll feel a little better if we are still at least 2 games above .500 at the end of the week.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205394775

Fans will be able to catch Charlotte baseball over the airwaves, starting next Saturday, March 17, when the 49ers finish a three-game series with Dallas Baptist, starting at 1 p.m. ESPN 730 will also broadcast games in the opening two home weekends of conference play, including April 7 versus Dayton and April 21 against Saint Joseph's. Both of those contests are 2 p.m. starts.

Yermal will get the start today.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205396572

The Spartans entered the Mid-Major Top 25 by College Baseball Daily at No. 25 this week. Charlotte, which started at No. 12 in that poll had been as high as No. 10, sits at No. 22 this week.

So we are 9-7 and still ranked in that poll? Good. I still think we are potentially better than we have been playing lately.

Nice start to the home stand.
Charlotte 11
Upstate 0

We looked pretty good tonight considering our opponent had only one loss. Yermal went 6 and 2/3 innings, and our solid staff of relievers took it from there.

I think Thursday is dollar hot dog night.

Hopefully soon Yermal will start getting the credit he is due. Except for one bad start, his numbers are staggering.

Didn’t make it to the game last night. Glad to see Yermal with another solid outing. I wonder if he starts to push for a weekend spot with conference play looming?

Good to see the offense come to life. 16 hits and 11 runs. That’s more runs than we scored all last week. Also good to see only 1 error in the box score. Let’s hope we keep things going in this direction.

Dallas Baptist beat Top 25 Oklahoma last night and is now 10-6 coming into this weekend’s series. It is going to be a big weekend.

Nice write-up on Dallas Baptist from College Baseball Today.

http://blogs.eastonbaseball.com/collegebaseballtoday/2012/03/13/were-all-badly-in-need-of-a-baptism/

Anyone have any prediction on the attendance for Saturday? I can’t get there until shortly after game time, and don’t want to come if standing room only.

ACC teams are the only times they have SRO crowds

Well, that’s a shame, but thanks for the info.

Charlotte 49ers Baseball Series Preview vs. Dallas Baptist

Can anyone confirm a rumor that “some Patriots personnel” were caught video taping Niners practices earlier in the week?

Game 1 suspended with the Niners down 0-1 batting in the bottom of the 7th. Game will be resumed at 4:00 tomorrow.

Game 2 starts at 6:00.

Niners get swept by DBU. We left 29 runners on base over the 3 games. Left the bases loaded several times.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205399330

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:17, topic:26519”]Niners get swept by DBU. We left 29 runners on base over the 3 games. Left the bases loaded several times.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205399330[/quote]

I said it before though, I don’t think our pitching staff is performing like they were expected to. Getting lit up early and often.

We don’t have the bats either. I went to Friday night’s game (my first of the year) and we left at the start of the 8th. You could just sense we were done. A10 might not be ours this year.

We don’t have the “power” but I think overall we’re not hitting bad. The problem is constantly falling behind early, hitting and walking too many at critical points. Errors have certainly contributed as well, but that seems to be getting better. The point is pitching was supposed to be our strong point and so far, I don’t really see it. Even Smith isn’t looking that great to me.