Niner History 1101

Hells yea! Count me in!

Great idea Mr. Alchemist,Sir! I have some highlight tapes and music videos from the 1988 Sun Belt Conference Championship season that Iā€™d love to share. They are on broadcast Beta tapes, but I am soon going to transfer them to a DVD. Hopefully, you can use the DVDā€™s to make the highlights available on NinerNation.

Great idea. I do think it should be managed to filter out zero content posts, though.

Iā€™m setting it up now.

I donā€™t have any tapes, etc. but I remember back in Spring 1977 after UNCC was robbed by the non-call on Marquetteā€™s Jerome Whitehead for his offensive goaltending [basket was called good] that gave Marquette the win. Actually, after many years of disgust and disbelief and watching two or three replays of game, I think it was a good call. I still hate Marquette and I loathe Al McGuire even though heā€™s dead. The video of that game was played on a continual loop in the Student Union for the rest of the Spring 1977 semester and into the Fall 1977 semester as well. The NIT-NCAA runs back then were magic. UNCC was plain and simple a dominant basketball force nationally. I have no doubt if we had gotten UNC in the finals, we would have won. I just hope, the program can get there again. I recall a mad rush out to the highway (NC 49) and actually stopping traffic in celebration. Stupid **** like that is what college is about. I just wish I had been in Atlanta to watch the team in the Final Four that year.

I like your idea. I need some help with my memory. Who's that Davidson player that likes to eat at Waffle House? And who's that well-behaved basketball player with the sore toe?

classicā€¦:lmao:

Im prertty sure I can dig up alot of video and pictures.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;394988]Im prertty sure I can [B]dig[/B] up alot of video and pictures.[/QUOTE]
Nice 49er word there, Gilderness.

Over can explain the writings on the walls.

Great idea Mr. Alchemist,Sir! I have some highlight tapes and music videos from the 1988 Sun Belt Conference Championship season that I'd love to share. They are on broadcast Beta tapes, but I am soon going to transfer them to a DVD. Hopefully, you can use the DVD's to make the highlights available on NinerNation.

You just became very, very relevant. :smile:

I believe I still have videos of the Metro Championship game from 1992 and the CUSA Championship game in 2001. Been meaning to put them to DVD. Now I have a reason.

I attended the '76 NIT game/win vs San Fransisco at MSG. Saw all the other NIT games on TV.
I attended the first Sun Belt Tourney in '77. We won.
I attended the '77 wins vs syracuse and #1 michigan. I have a tape of the michigan game.
I attended the '77 Final Four.
I attended the '88 Sun Belt tourney. We won.
I attended the '88 NCAA game with BYU.
I attended the '89 NIT game vs UCONN in Charlotte.
I attended the '97 CUSA tourney. We won.
I attended the '01 CUSA tourney. We won. I have a tape of the game.
I have a tape of the NCAA win vs Tenn.

Thereā€™s many more highlights for me, but these are at the top of the list of 37 years of NINER watching.

[QUOTE=49er1;395112]I attended the '76 NIT game/win vs San Fransisco at MSG. Saw all the other NIT games on TV.
I attended the first Sun Belt Tourney in '77. We won.
I attended the '77 wins vs syracuse and #1 michigan. I have a tape of the michigan game.
I attended the '77 Final Four.
I attended the '88 Sun Belt tourney. We won.
I attended the '88 NCAA game with BYU.
I attended the '89 NIT game vs UCONN in Charlotte.
I attended the '97 CUSA tourney. We won.
I attended the '01 CUSA tourney. We won. I have a tape of the game.
I have a tape of the NCAA win vs Tenn.

Thereā€™s many more highlights for me, but these are at the top of the list of 37 years of NINER watching.[/QUOTE]

We played Uconn? Iā€™m from CT and didnā€™t even know thisā€¦wow.

Wow! Now I can finally talk about the time I led the 49ers to that D1A football title in the Orange Bowl in Jan. '97 for the '96 Natā€™l Title.
Oh! And donā€™t forget I was '96 Heisman Champ!

i can chip in with some of the really old stuff. robert earl blue was on fire in what was probably one of our first wins over a ranked team (austin peay). bill foster doing ā€˜the cobraā€™ on the bench (actually, trying to provide english on shots.)
bill had a great line iā€™ll never forget. we were with our families at the beach and coming out of the resturant (beach wind coming in, salt in the air, perfect 70 degrees)ā€¦bill says in his suthrun drawl, "man! it feels sā€™good outā€¦i think iā€™ll jusā€™ LEAVE it out!"
iā€™d give a ton if i still had the files and files of recruiting letters to guys like mike glenn (missed him), james abrams (he was our choice over cedric who visited the same weekend), goeff bommer, skip shipman, melvin, grom, jon heath, etcetcetcetcetcetcetcā€¦etct
there was a silky-smooth PG named george somethingā€¦iā€™ll think of it later. he always looked like he was loafing til he absolutely exploded for the rim or popped with a pass. (iā€™d take him back right now in a heart-beat as a back-up for harris!) and a chunky white kid, tough as nails, that played the point on the early '70s teams.
i believe norris day was actually brought in by harvey murphy. he could jump out of the gym! so could heath. heath and coley might be out of the same mold.
i was in the old coliseum when we beat centenary (sp?) and robt parrish.
in nyc for the whole '76 shebang. went to see A CHORUS LINE with the team and ate at mama miaā€™s (?) with them. (iā€™d just gotten my first pair of contactsā€¦the old thick onesā€¦and the dust and crud and general nastiness that blows up from the NYC streets and i donā€™t know whereall else, just about put my eyes out!) so bitter/sweet memories of THAT experience!
atlanta the next year.
JACKSON! george JACKSON!
blahblahblahā€¦
great times! i arrived in '70 and left in '85. (never as a student!) it was the best of times and the worst of timesā€¦trust me! those of us who suffered through wissle, deserve a Purple Heart. (iā€™mkiddingiā€™mkidding. i know itā€™s not the same thing at all.)

I think we need to include the evolution of the student groups. When I arrived at Charlotte there were the N.U.T.S., I donā€™t even remember what that stood for. Then the birth of Gang Green, which was a group of students before it became an official group and finally with the changing of Gang Green to what we know now is Niner Nation. We could even throw in some other history like the role some fraternities have played in fan groups and the Kings and their group in the mid/late 90s. I am sure there were groups before the NUTS, I am just not familiar with them. Just a suggestion. I just think it is important to understand not only our athletic history and traditions but where we as students and fans have come from. Niner Nation was not born of of thin air - it is the culmination of the past of many people who bleed green.

I dont know where to find results and box scores before the 2000-2001 season, thats as far as the athletics site goes, but here would be a great place to start a thread for each season, list all results and box scoreā€™s if possible, and then stories/pics/videos, etc. about the season.

Start with 08-09 and count back or the other way around(i like the first since memories are fresher)

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;395386]I think we need to include the evolution of the student groups. When I arrived at Charlotte there were the N.U.T.S., I donā€™t even remember what that stood for. Then the birth of Gang Green, which was a group of students before it became an official group and finally with the changing of Gang Green to what we know now is Niner Nation. We could even throw in some other history like the role some fraternities have played in fan groups and the Kings and their group in the mid/late 90s. I am sure there were groups before the NUTS, I am just not familiar with them. Just a suggestion. I just think it is important to understand not only our athletic history and traditions but where we as students and fans have come from. Niner Nation was not born of of thin air - it is the culmination of the past of many people who bleed green.[/QUOTE]

Like the istory of the CFI!!

The board is there folks. Letā€™s get the content posted.

https://twitter.com/langstonwertzjr/status/1750303939356930487

1 Like

clt asks if that alltell offer is still valid?

This happened 14 years ago today.

3 Likes