Niner Nation should come out in full force...

BUMP!!

Dont tell me none of you want to see Shamarr drainin threes and Rashad dunking on some chumps!!

LOL whoops, I'll edit... brain fart!
See what happens when you kill those brain cells.

OK, so just got back from the game. Me, 49x, and zerogenetics went out there tonight to check out the action.

In the 730 game Dijuan was playing vs Charlie Coley’s team. Dijuan looked solid. Lightning quick and made some great passes. Coley didnt really do much to speak of, but he was guarding Brendan Haywood, and did a good job on him. Funny tidbit of the night: Haywood completely botched a wide open dunk Iti-style… it was great.

Only Anjuan, Rashad Coleman, and Big Phil showed up for Pepsi. Shamarr was home with ice on his knees, and Shamari was a no-show.

Anjuan was Anjuan. Tons of putbacks and rebounds. Big Phil looked like he was in much better shape, and made some sweet right and left handed baby hooks. He also had 3 or 4 blocks.

Rashad Coleman had, to put it politely, an off game. He is skinny as a rail, but I’m guessing(hoping) Preston can put a couple pounds on him. He is definitely a freak athlete, and I can already tell he will have a few highlight reel dunks this year. He made one three pointer and a nice up and under layup, but didnt do much else outside of that. His form on his shot makes it look like he is forcing the ball up, as opposed to smoothly shooting it, but who knows, could have just been a bad night for him. For 6’6, he definitely can handle the ball. I would imagine he will score most of his pts off drives to the basket.

Marcus Bennett was playing for the other team in the 830 game. He still has a smooth shot and good handles, but man is he out of shape. I didnt recognize him until 49x pointed him out.

There was some little guard from Louisiana Tech U on Pepsi that must of scored 20+ pts, he could flat out play.

If I remember any more details Ill come back and edit, but thats about it.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;328809]OK, so just got back from the game. Me, 49x, and zerogenetics went out there tonight to check out the action.

In the 730 game Dijuan was playing vs Charlie Coley’s team. Dijuan looked solid. Lightning quick and made some great passes. Coley didnt really do much to speak of, but he was guarding Brendan Haywood, and did a good job on him. Funny tidbit of the night: Haywood completely botched a wide open dunk Iti-style… it was great.

Only Anjuan, Rashad Coleman, and Big Phil showed up for Pepsi. Shamarr was home with ice on his knees, and Shamari was a no-show.

Anjuan was Anjuan. Tons of putbacks and rebounds. Big Phil looked like he was in much better shape, and made some sweet right and left handed baby hooks. He also had 3 or 4 blocks.

Rashad Coleman had, to put it politely, an off game. He is skinny as a rail, but I’m guessing(hoping) Preston can put a couple pounds on him. He is definitely a freak athlete, and I can already tell he will have a few highlight reel dunks this year. He made one three pointer and a nice up and under layup, but didnt do much else outside of that. His form on his shot makes it look like he is forcing the ball up, as opposed to smoothly shooting it, but who knows, could have just been a bad night for him. For 6’6, he definitely can handle the ball. I would imagine he will score most of his pts off drives to the basket.

Marcus Bennett was playing for the other team in the 830 game. He still has a smooth shot and good handles, but man is he out of shape. I didnt recognize him until 49x pointed him out.

There was some little guard from Louisiana Tech U on Pepsi that must of scored 20+ pts, he could flat out play.

If I remember any more details Ill come back and edit, but thats about it.[/QUOTE]

I still have yet to see a pic of Rashad Coleman. I have no clue what he looks like. But I did hear Lutz kind of allude that the incoming guards (Coleman & Bowden) still need to develop some additional strength to compete against high-level competition. So I had a hunch that Coleman was on the thin side.

Most April-May signings are ‘depth’ players - especially for major-conference schools - so if Coleman can be a Jerrel Jamison-type (or better) he’ll definitely be something of a steal. A ball-handler with speed that can play above the rim and grab rebounds does sound good. But “to put it politely, an off game” sounds bad. Similar words have been used to describe the summer-league performances of some of our players in recent memory. Uh-oh.

Like eason mentioned in the other thread, defense will probably be the big factor for determing who the shooting guard should be next year. Like, even if Gerrity, Mack, An’juan, Coley, Big Phil, Dewhurst, Harris, etc. are all in sync and clickin’ together next year … it might all be for nothing if a Maryland or Clemson shooting guard is given the space to drop 30 on us. Coleman & Bowden are probably still used to defending against high school competition … and I still recall Ian’s defensive struggles when he made the jump from HS to college. That’s my big question mark for the start of the season.

[QUOTE=survivor45;328821]I still have yet to see a pic of Rashad Coleman. I have no clue what he looks like. But I did hear Lutz kind of allude that the incoming guards (Coleman & Bowden) still need to develop some additional strength to compete against high-level competition. So I had a hunch that Coleman was on the thin side.

Most April-May signings are ‘depth’ players - especially for major-conference schools - so if Coleman can be a Jerrel Jamison-type (or better) he’ll definitely be something of a steal. A ball-handler with speed that can play above the rim and grab rebounds does sound good. But “to put it politely, an off game” sounds bad. Similar words have been used to describe the summer-league performances of some of our players in recent memory. Uh-oh.

Like eason mentioned in the other thread, defense will probably be the big factor for determing who the shooting guard should be next year. Like, even if Gerrity, Mack, An’juan, Coley, Big Phil, Dewhurst, Harris, etc. are all in sync and clickin’ together next year … it might all be for nothing if a Maryland or Clemson shooting guard is given the space to drop 30 on us. Coleman & Bowden are probably still used to defending against high school competition … and I still recall Ian’s defensive struggles when he made the jump from HS to college. That’s my big question mark for the start of the season.[/QUOTE]

as i recall, jamison didnt have offers from ga. tech and ok state. i would not be happy if he became jerrell jamison, although i am proud of how much jamison improved his senior year.

[QUOTE=survivor45;328821] Most April-May signings are ‘depth’ players - especially for major-conference schools - so if Coleman can be a Jerrel Jamison-type (or better) he’ll definitely be something of a steal. A ball-handler with speed that can play above the rim and grab rebounds does sound good. But “to put it politely, an off game” sounds bad. Similar words have been used to describe the summer-league performances of some of our players in recent memory. Uh-oh…[/QUOTE]

Does not sound like Utter thought he had an off game Monday night. This description does not sound like Jamison.

“RaShad Coleman, a 6-foot-6, 195-pound junior shooting guard who played for the Heat Basketball Academy last season in Martinsville, Va., and signed to play at Charlotte beginning this season, made his debut in the Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation summer league on Monday at the Grady Cole Center.
To say he was impressive could be an understatement. To say he was fast definitely is. Coleman finished with 12 points, which included two NBA-range 3-pointers and three dunks, including one two-handed slam from an alley-oop pass and a second one-handed driving drunk from the baseline.
At the end of the night, the public-address announcer went to find Coleman even though he was on the losing team and said, “Son, we need to know your name.”
I have a feeling Charlotte fans will be saying it a lot this season.”

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;328824]as i recall, jamison didnt have offers from ga. tech and ok state. [/QUOTE]

I think you missed the point … If ga. tech and ok state had an extra scholarship in may - and JJ suddenly discovered he somehow had 2 extra years of eligibility - I can’t imagine that there wouldn’t be mutual interest. The recruiting cupboard is bare in the springtime, as most kids have long since made-up their minds. Getting a solid rotation player/spot starter that can grab 5-10 boards would be a very solid ‘get’ for a bcs school in the late period.

That’s not to lower Coleman’s ‘ceiling’ or anything. My interest is certainly piqued since all the circumstances surrounding Coleman are anything but usual. The growth spurt alone blows my mind.

Imagine you’re 16 and you’re hangin’ out with your buds, everyone talking about getting your driver’s licenses.
Now you’re 17 and hangin’ out talkin’ colleges with the same group of friends.
You all meet together at 18 and each friend tries to tell the best story of a prank that was pulled.
At 19, everyone gets together at the same hangout. Perhaps one of your buds is talking about getting engaged with his girl.
At 20 you all get together and hang out and play pool. Maybe the discussion involves someone’s wedding plans.
Now everyone is 21 and getting piss drunk on pitchers of beer at the yearly hangout.
Everyone gets together at 22 again talking careers and talking fondly about high school memories. Maybe there’s a baby photo passed around or two.
You get together with your friends at 23 [B]AND ONE OF THEM IS 6 FEET 6 1/2 INCHES TALL![/B]

How in god’s name does that even happen?!? I know with my friends, I’d be pretty damn surprised if one of us grew 5+ inches at 22-23 years of age - out of the f*****g blue. Oh, and he’s also gone from college to playing basketball against high school prep competition. That’s pretty freaky, to say the least.

Personally, I think it IS Jerrel Jamison. Wearing Groucho Marx glasses with the big nose. He was probably out working on his outside game somewhere and decided to hatch a plan to get back into college. I fear that the real Rashad Coleman is trapped inside his trunk, all tied up.

In other news Big Phil chased me, chi and 49x down as we walked out the door to tell us he appreciated us coming out. Class act - I know I personally really appreciated it. I’m hoping that this years team has as much fan appreciation as last years team - I think it did a ton for our loyalty to them and the program.

In other news Big Phil chased me, chi and 49x down as we walked out the door to tell us he appreciated us coming out. Class act - I know I personally really appreciated it. I'm hoping that this years team has as much fan appreciation as last years team - I think it did a ton for our loyalty to them and the program.

Yeah I cant believe I left that out. He is a good guy, he came all the way upstairs to catch us and thank us for comming out, even though none of us were anyone he knew very well.