Niners are climbing out...

…Another win and some good positives -> Rebounding advantage is huge and that’s a sure sign of effort being given-> Defense is suprisingly good. It seems we are taking baby steps, but we are headed in the right direction. Bennett is also a great positive. Curt’s leadership is spectacular. There’s an old saying that to start a pump, in the begining you have to pump like heck to get it going, but once it gets going things come a lot easier. I think our guys are pumping like heck right now and will get it going. I’m crossing my fingers and calling for improved performance with a win on Wed.

GO NINERS!!!

The team may be trying so is their poor play a reflection of poor leadership? Will Lutz ever abandon his terrible gameplan? I need answers!

Defense and rebounding have been pretty good, but keep in mind who we have been playing. We had a height/size advantage at pretty much every position last night. We should have beaten that team by a lot more than 13. I guess we have shown some improvement, but we we have a long way to go if we don’t want to finish near the bottom of the A-10.

[QUOTE=Max Power;141713] We had a height/size advantage at pretty much every position last night. We should have beaten that team by a lot more than 13. I guess we have shown some improvement, but we we have a long way to go if we don’t want to finish near the bottom of the A-10.[/QUOTE]

We had a talent advantage at every position, but we only had a size advantage at PG and SF. PF was a push, as Lewis was about the same height and build as Curtis. Both of their centers were taller than Nance and Dump Truck, and their 2 guard was taller than Bennett or Goldwire. Their big boys altered several shots inside, either from us thinking they were going to block it or because they really were. The mighty-mite that played a bunch for the Pilots last night should have been in foul trouble before the 10:00 mark in the first half. He was reaching in on most every position wacking us across the forearms going after the ball. Just another case of the refs looking out for the little man.

[QUOTE=X-49er;141719]We had a talent advantage at every position, but we only had a size advantage at PG and SF. PF was a push, as Lewis was about the same height and build as Curtis. Both of their centers were taller than Nance and Dump Truck, and their 2 guard was taller than Bennett or Goldwire. Their big boys altered several shots inside, either from us thinking they were going to block it or because they really were. The mighty-mite that played a bunch for the Pilots last night should have been in foul trouble before the 10:00 mark in the first half. He was reaching in on most every position wacking us across the forearms going after the ball. Just another case of the refs looking out for the little man.[/QUOTE]

I’m glad I’m not the only who noticed Speedy Gonzales playing red hands with our guys last night.

Their big guys seemed to be getting a kick out of bear-hugging Withers last night as well. Couldn’t believe some of the no calls.

I don’t know if this has been said somewhere on this board, but maybe Lutz needs to go to more of a full court trapping, high pressure defense for 40 minutes. The talent of this teams seems to be athleticism, rather than pure shooting. Also, the best way to get out of a slump sometimes is to try to get easy baskets (like dunks and layups). Plus, they don’t seem to be doing to well, right now at least, with more of a patient offensive scheme. Lutz always used to say that was the type of style he wanted to play, but did not have the athletes to do it, and in recent years has fell in love with the 3 point shooters.

40 minutes of hell, huh? hmmm…I like. :shades:

maybe Lutz needs to go to more of a full court trapping,

did you not watch last year?

our full court press/trap is a joke…we get burned every time b/c coach can’t teach the players to rotate…it’s pathetic…

did you not watch last year?

It’s not the same team as last year.

I think a lot of the problems with their rotations came about because Lutz has them practicing like 6 different defensive sets (box and 1, 2-3, 1-3-1, full court traps, half court traps, man to man, etc.). Just like the 3 point shot, he has fallen in love with switching to a bunch of different defenses, therefore they don’t play any particular one well (and are mediocre, at best, at all of them). They need to stick to a couple of them, learn and practice the proper techniques for those, and go with them.