No Charlotte-Davidson game

[QUOTE=MKNiner;332916]I was surprised by this. Really a shot at Bobby by her. Kind of surprising that she’d do it so publically.[/QUOTE]

I agree though. This is an outrage, and and embarrassment to both programs that this game is not happening.

I agree though. This is an outrage, and and embarrassment to both programs that this game is not happening.

I don’t know that I’d go that far. I’m ticked about it as well but if Davidson was trying to play pre-madonna with the date and wanted us to play after we’d been on the road for 10 days I don’t blame Bobby for saying no. Why should he put our team in that situation?

We had an agreed upon date. They decided they’d rather play in the Jimmy V. Fine, but don’t expect us to just accomodate you to our detriment.

[QUOTE=4t9er;332913]Maybe UNCW?[/QUOTE]
Nope. UNCW’s November-December schedule is locked in with the maximum number of games allowed. The only thing Benny is waiting on is finding out if their hotel on South Padre Island will reopen after the storm in time for them to stay there. (The tournament also has made backup hotel arrangements already.)

I don’t want to blame anyone but Charlotte vs Davidson is a game that both sides should pretty much have a set date to play on every season, ie: the first Wednesday every December.

I don't want to blame anyone but Charlotte vs Davidson is a game that both sides should pretty much have a set date to play on every season,

I see what you’re saying, but WE HAD A SET AGREED UPON DATE!!! Backing out of a committment like that is absolutely PATHETIC.

Until both sides sign the game contract, nothing is ever firm. And in this case, Davidson holds the contract since it is their home game. Our multiyear deal with them ended last season and Davidson lost two OOC games with the addition of Samford to the Southern Conference.

Once again… large conferences are the devil!

[QUOTE=gotLutz;332920]I see what you’re saying, but WE HAD A SET AGREED UPON DATE!!! Backing out of a committment like that is absolutely PATHETIC.[/QUOTE]

That’s why I blame them. They backed out.

If they wanted to play in the Jimmy V., that’s fine… they say “Hey, we’ve been offered this. Can we change the date?” If we can accomodate it, yes, that’s fine. If not, then they keep their commitment. We didn’t back out of anything. They should pay us a cancellation fee.

A little background here. The network (and MSG) invited us to play in New York. Can’t hardly turn that down. Also, the SoCon has us playing that silly 20 game conference schedule. We voted against it, but it passed. We have to live with it, although we don’t like it.

Davidson rearranged their schedule a couple of years ago to accommodate Charlotte when they had a change. It doesn’t appear that Coach Lutz worked very hard to ask Winthrop (or another school) to move the game date.

HP49er has a good idea. A set date may work pretty well for future games.

I think there is something else there that we all don’t know about as well.

[QUOTE=davidsoncat;332923]A little background here. The network (and MSG) invited us to play in New York. Can’t hardly turn that down. Also, the SoCon has us playing that silly 20 game conference schedule. We voted against it, but it passed. We have to live with it, although we don’t like it.

Davidson rearranged their schedule a couple of years ago to accommodate Charlotte when they had a change. It doesn’t appear that Coach Lutz worked very hard to ask Winthrop (or another school) to move the game date.

HP49er has a good idea. A set date may work pretty well for future games.

I think there is something else there that we all don’t know about as well.[/QUOTE]

A set date, in Bobcats arena. Should have started years ago. This should not have happened.

One trip to the E8 and they’re suddenly too big for the team that’s pwnd them for years. Hmmm. I hope they get demolished in the first round.

[QUOTE=davidsoncat;332923]I think there is something else there that we all don’t know about as well.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Lhp-iz1A0][B]Yep![/B][/URL]

The ceiling at Belk Gym is too low to handle Coley.

Call Melvin Watkins:

[QUOTE] [B] Missouri[/B]-Mens
Type: Game
Dates: 09/01/2008 to 12/27/2008

Mizzou Basketball is looking for a game that can be played on any of the following dates: [B]Dec.10[/B],20, or 27. Will consider any possibilities, including 2 for 1s, guarantees, or home and home starting either place. Please call to discuss any details.
zimmermanm@missouri.edu
Date Posted: 05/19/2008
Last Updated: 07/16/2008 [/QUOTE]

Or play an old foe:

[QUOTE][B]Marquette[/B] University-Mens
Dates: 11/01/2008 to 12/31/2008

Looking for one guarantee game on [B]December 19, 2008[/B].
mike.broeker@marquette.edu
Date Posted: 09/12/2007
Last Updated: 05/28/2008 [/QUOTE]

Or Lutz can school Pelphrey (Lutz would have replaced him at SAU)?

[QUOTE] [B]Arkansas[/B]-Mens
Dates: 11/01/2008 to 12/10/2008

We are looking for home games on the following dates: 11/14, 11/29, [B]12/10[/B]. Competitive guarantees available.
msiverli@uark.edu
Date Posted: 06/16/2008
Last Updated: 06/16/2008 [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=4t9er;332913]Did you guys notice the jab Judy took at Bobby. Looks like there is still some bad blood here between the two of them. Davidson is gonna be top 25 this year most likely so it would have been a good year to play them. What a shame. I just hope we can replace them with someone good. Maybe UNCW?[/QUOTE]

“We can’t do that, Lutz said. “We would be playing five away games in 10 days.”

This is why scheduling is controlled by the coaching staff. Otherwise, we’d be playing it after 3 games in 3 or 4 days and traveling across the country. Kind of like playing Fri-Sat or even Fri with an early Sun game to open the season.

I hope they find a date but it’s definitely Davidson who changed the plans.

The schools have not operated with a signed contract by Davidson for at least two years. That’s why there are no repurcussions and nothing set in stone. There was a verbal agreement to play Dec. 9-10, Charlotte operated from that premise, Davidson got another opportunity on the same time and took it.
You are reading too much into Judy. It was not a shot at Bobby. It was an attempt to say if the coaching staffs cannot come into agreement perhaps it could be handled by outside parties (athletic directors). I’m sure if someone in the community took up the challenge that would be welcomed as well.

Jim

Call Melvin Watkins:

Or play an old foe:

Or Lutz can school Pelphrey (Lutz would have replaced him at SAU)?

We play 4 teams in 8 days to open the season (including Clemson), travel to Anaheim on Thanksgiving (Arizona State, Baylor, Wake Forest, St. Mary’s, Providence, etc.) & to Southern Illinois a few days later. So I don’t know if the problem is solved by replacing the 12/10 date at Davidson with either Missouri or Arkansas.

What we could really use is a game between December 14th-January 2nd. Right now, the only 2 teams we play during that stretch are Long Island & Youngstown State.

The schools have not operated with a signed contract by Davidson for at least two years. That's why there are no repurcussions and nothing set in stone. There was a verbal agreement to play Dec. 9-10, Charlotte operated from that premise, Davidson got another opportunity on the same time and took it. You are reading too much into Judy. It was not a shot at Bobby. It was an attempt to say if the coaching staffs cannot come into agreement perhaps it could be handled by outside parties (athletic directors). I'm sure if someone in the community took up the challenge that would be welcomed as well.

Jim

You know I’m probably going to get run off of NNN for asking this, but does the “community” of Charlotte really give two craps about Charlotte vs. Davidson? It was a decent following but it’s not exactly like it’s a tough ticket to get when we play. There would have been more interest this year obviously because of Davidson’s run last year, but overall I’ve not ever got the sense that to Charlotte community at large could even tell you that we were playing, much less seek out a ticket for it.

:puts on bullet proof vest:

You are reading too much into Judy. It was not a shot at Bobby.

:lmao:

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;332931]The schools have not operated with a signed contract by Davidson for at least two years. That’s why there are no repurcussions and nothing set in stone. There was a verbal agreement to play Dec. 9-10, Charlotte operated from that premise, Davidson got another opportunity on the same time and took it.
You are reading too much into Judy. It was not a shot at Bobby. It was an attempt to say if the coaching staffs cannot come into agreement perhaps it could be handled by outside parties (athletic directors). I’m sure if someone in the community took up the challenge that would be welcomed as well.

Jim[/QUOTE]

I’m sure Davidson AD called Judy during the process and said talk to Bobby, we want this game. It is huge home draw for them. Judy is very competitive. I’m sure she’s thinking PAYBACK…we want to show who controls this rivalry. I’m serious. She doesn’t back down in situations like this. She definitely wants to play.

I was thinking about how it might play out. PLay it up in the media and then big announcement: Time warner arena…the battle of Meck county!!!

I wish.

and who FREAKING CARES is we play Davidson this year…they usually are a boat anchor on our RPI every season. Props to Lutz for standing his ground, I am sure McKillop was being the chump using his short lived leverage.

You guys have no idea. There has been NO CONTACT with anyone at Davidson other than exchange of emails. Judy hasn’t talked to Jim Murphy since the Final Four. I’m telling you Davidson already has a replacement game in mind. Watch.

You guys have no idea. There has been NO CONTACT with anyone at Davidson other than exchange of emails. Judy hasn't talked to Jim Murphy since the Final Four. I'm telling you Davidson already has a replacement game in mind. Watch.

I have no trouble believing this. I bet the game was talked about months ago and they were just waiting to drop the bomb.

They’re going to milk the Steph Curry era for as much as they can.