North Texas Post Game Thread

We are currently 2 games out of 4th place in the CUSA standings, with a couple other teams with either a half game or full game lead in front of us.

1. Marshall 9-3
  2. LA Tech 8-4

1. ODU 7-5
  2. UTEP 7-6
  3. UNCC-Charlotte 6-6 :slight_smile:

[quote=“JB, post:20, topic:30175”][quote=“4ever niner, post:19, topic:30175”][quote=“49r9r, post:17, topic:30175”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article60274166.html[/quote] I knew it had been a long time since we had consecutive 100 point games. Did not realize it had been over a thousand years, though. (Dec of 1009).

Guess proofreading ain’t their thang.[/quote]
Beat me to the punch on calling out that one. Hopefully if we win enough we could get our own beat writer.[/quote] Our former beat writer got our player’s names wrong quite often so…

[quote=“49r9r, post:21, topic:30175”]We are currently 2 games out of 4th place in the CUSA standings, with a couple other teams with either a half game or full game lead in front of us.

1. Marshall 9-3
  2. LA Tech 8-4

1. ODU 7-5
  2. UTEP 7-6
  3. UNCC-Charlotte 6-6 :)[/quote] Where would we be if we hadn’t been screwed out of 2 home wins? Just sayin’.

[quote=“d_whitley, post:15, topic:30175”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:14, topic:30175”]Interesting outcomes tonight.
Rice beat ODU at ODU and La Tech took down conference leader UAB.[/quote]

Stuff like this gives me hope. There’s a decent chance that we could win the conference if we keep up this pace and make the tournament. Now that would be a change from what we were expecting at the beginning of the season![/quote]

You Gotta Believe!..
In 1999, we weren’t anywhere near the top of the pack when we went to Birmingham. That didn’t bother Galen Young, Jobey Thomas, and Kelvin Price one bit. That 4 day, 4 win journey was one of the best Conference tourney trips of my life. My 1999 C-USA Conference Tourney Championship tee shirt is tattered after all these years, but every time I look at it, I think about the unknown team that believed in themselves and took down Cincinnati and Louisville in the semis and finals that weekend.
Guys, we can do this…You gotta believe!

[quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:30175”][quote=“JB, post:20, topic:30175”][quote=“4ever niner, post:19, topic:30175”][quote=“49r9r, post:17, topic:30175”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article60274166.html[/quote] I knew it had been a long time since we had consecutive 100 point games. Did not realize it had been over a thousand years, though. (Dec of 1009).

Guess proofreading ain’t their thang.[/quote]
Beat me to the punch on calling out that one. Hopefully if we win enough we could get our own beat writer.[/quote] Our former beat writer got our player’s names wrong quite often so…[/quote]

Are you talking about Danny Scott or John Utter?

[quote=“4ever niner, post:23, topic:30175”][quote=“49r9r, post:21, topic:30175”]We are currently 2 games out of 4th place in the CUSA standings, with a couple other teams with either a half game or full game lead in front of us.

1. Marshall 9-3
  2. LA Tech 8-4

1. ODU 7-5
  2. UTEP 7-6
  3. UNCC-Charlotte 6-6 :)[/quote] Where would we be if we hadn’t been screwed out of 2 home wins? Just sayin’.[/quote]

We would be 8-4 and tied for 4th place.

BTW… We finish the season against Rice and North Texas. Actually, 4 of our remaining 6 opponents are 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the conference.

clt says Jordan brand is garbage.

[quote=“emf, post:6, topic:30175”]Just received this email

With today's 103-79 victory over North Texas, Coach Mark Price and the 49ers have posted back-to-back 100+ point games and have now won 6 of the past 8 contests. Two home games remain and we have a special limited-time offer for you, family and friends.

LIMITED TIME OFFER!!
With the 49ers scoring 100+ points in consecutive games, the 49ers Ticket Office is offering 49% off the regular price of tickets for the next 100 hours for Green and Black Zone seating in Halton Arena for the final two home games.

Charlotte vs. UTSA, Thursday, February 25 at 7:00pm - BUY.TICKETS NOW!
https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/BuyNew.asp?EventID=152501&SponsorID=7656&promocode=49OFF

Charlotte vs. UTEP, Saturday, February 27 at 7:00pm - BUY TICKETS NOW!
https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/BuyNew.asp?EventID=152502&SponsorID=7656&promocode=49OFF

Offer only valid online and ends at 11:30pm EST on Wednesday, February 17.

Feel free to forward to family, friends and colleagues.

As always, Wear Green and Go Niners!

[/quote]Just bought 2 for UTEP…Could be key game.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:23, topic:30175”][quote=“49r9r, post:21, topic:30175”]We are currently 2 games out of 4th place in the CUSA standings, with a couple other teams with either a half game or full game lead in front of us.

1. Marshall 9-3
  2. LA Tech 8-4

1. ODU 7-5
  2. UTEP 7-6
  3. UNCC-Charlotte 6-6 :)[/quote] Where would we be if we hadn’t been screwed out of 2 home wins? Just sayin’.[/quote]

And BLEW a 3rd. Jus’ sayin’.

[quote=“MEGRNiner, post:24, topic:30175”][quote=“d_whitley, post:15, topic:30175”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:14, topic:30175”]Interesting outcomes tonight.
Rice beat ODU at ODU and La Tech took down conference leader UAB.[/quote]

Stuff like this gives me hope. There’s a decent chance that we could win the conference if we keep up this pace and make the tournament. Now that would be a change from what we were expecting at the beginning of the season![/quote]

You Gotta Believe!..
In 1999, we weren’t anywhere near the top of the pack when we went to Birmingham. That didn’t bother Galen Young, Jobey Thomas, and Kelvin Price one bit. That 4 day, 4 win journey was one of the best Conference tourney trips of my life. My 1999 C-USA Conference Tourney Championship tee shirt is tattered after all these years, but every time I look at it, I think about the unknown team that believed in themselves and took down Cincinnati and Louisville in the semis and finals that weekend.
Guys, we can do this…You gotta believe![/quote]

Yes! I was there and it was a magical run. Still have/wear my Championship tee shirt. 8)

Who would have thought that a guy coming off the bench at the ‘4’ position is 2nd on the team in assists per game. Vanhook is very important to our success. He plays very smart and doesn’t try to do too much. His game is very unselfish.

clt says bilas likes his game.

Yes. He was the player interviewed after the game on the radio, and this came across very clearly.

Going into the past 2 games, I was thinking that even though we have a young team these are 2 teams that ‘we are supposed to beat.’ It is nice to win these types of games now.

I’m having so much more fun watching a team full of overachievers getting better as the season goes on.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:34, topic:30175”]Going into the past 2 games, I was thinking that even though we have a young team these are 2 teams that ‘we are supposed to beat.’ It is nice to win these types of games now.

I’m having so much more fun watching a team full of overachievers getting better as the season goes on.[/quote]

small thing. i think of “overachievers” as referring to people who perform “above their heads” or talent level. i believe we have some excellent athletes who are learning to play basketball, not overachieving.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:35, topic:30175”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:34, topic:30175”]Going into the past 2 games, I was thinking that even though we have a young team these are 2 teams that ‘we are supposed to beat.’ It is nice to win these types of games now.

I’m having so much more fun watching a team full of overachievers getting better as the season goes on.[/quote]

small thing. i think of “overachievers” as referring to people who perform “above their heads” or talent level. i believe we have some excellent athletes who are learning to play basketball, not overachieving. [/quote]

We were picked to finish 11th this year by the coaches. I think we will exceed that. Opposite of being picked 4th last year and underachieving all year to finish 11th.

I love this board. :smiley:

Now even our reasonable posters are quibbling over semantics. For sure, the team has exceeded most people’s preseason expectations (and early season expectations as well) My personal view is that it is, by definition, impossible to achieve beyond potential, but we sure have achieved way less than potential in the latter stages of Major"s tenure.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:37, topic:30175”]I love this board. :smiley:

Now even our reasonable posters are quibbling over semantics. For sure, the team has exceeded most people’s preseason expectations (and early season expectations as well) My personal view is that it is, by definition, impossible to achieve beyond potential, but we sure have achieved way less than potential in the latter stages of Major"s tenure.[/quote]

This board always overachieves my expectations.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:37, topic:30175”]I love this board. :smiley:

Now even our reasonable posters are quibbling over semantics.[/quote]

There should be no place on this board for anti semantics.

^^^^^
^^^^^ :-X
^^^^^
LOL