North Texas post game

Postgame coverage from the O:

Story: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/15/5450683/charlotte-beats-north-texas-with.html

Pics: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/15/5450733/charlotte-49ers-73-north-texas.html

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:21, topic:29338”]Postgame coverage from the O:

Story: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/15/5450683/charlotte-beats-north-texas-with.html

Pics: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/15/5450733/charlotte-49ers-73-north-texas.html[/quote]

:))

[ul][li]
[/li][/ul]

Was not able to watch the game until about mid second half. Very pleased that we took care of business at home against an awful team. Cool that we covered on a double digit spread, too. Hopefully, this will help us get moving in the right direction. 2 game winning streaks beat 2 game losing streaks every time.

Which group has more infighting between its members: Ninernation.net or the North Texas Men’s Basketball team?

[quote=“NinerLove, post:20, topic:29338”]Much the same as has been said. glad we pulled through for the win but the first half had me worried for sure. A comfortable win with a relatively substantial lead late is what we needed and got, so that is a positive.

Maybe someone else can comment because I arrived just before tip off. But I heard they had some pretty cool things they were giving away at the “garage sale”? When I got there, all they had left was Clay Aiken bobble heads…and yes, I got one. Maybe I just can’t turn down free stuff?

Go Niners![/quote]

I got there just around 6, and it was a madhouse at that table, I was able to snag a 3XL warm-up shirt. When I got out of the scrum I looked at the name tag to see this:

The 1st half was miserable, the turnovers were all lazy passes over or through the heart of their zone. Our defense kept us in the during the first half. We had already made a strong run to start the half when they started to implode, but their issues definitely helped us build our lead to 25.

Willie dunked. That was cool.

I dunno about fun. Frustrating might be a word I would use.[/quote]

We outscored them by 20 in the second half and lead by 25.

Jesus christ. If that game was frustrating you better not be a fan of any team in sports because they will all frustrate you.

Jesus christ. If that game was frustrating you better not be a fan of any team in sports because they will all frustrate you.[/quote]

Second half was fun - that I can agree with. If I had shown up at halftime then it would have been awesome. Are you telling me the first half was fun for you?

Side note I hated their #33, with the way he ran on his toes, he reminded me too much of those punk white big men from St. Louis.

Jesus christ. If that game was frustrating you better not be a fan of any team in sports because they will all frustrate you.[/quote]

Second half was fun - that I can agree with. If I had shown up at halftime then it would have been awesome. Are you telling me the first half was fun for you?[/quote]

I never saw anything in the first half that made me question we would blow them out so yeah it was fun.

Being down in the first half sucks sure, but it wasn’t like I was afraid north Texas was going to win.

I’m pretty sure I said we’re usually down by 15 at this point to jfelt.

Second half was fun - that I can agree with. If I had shown up at halftime then it would have been awesome. Are you telling me the first half was fun for you?[/quote]

I never saw anything in the first half that made me question we would blow them out so yeah it was fun.

Being down in the first half sucks sure, but it wasn’t like I was afraid north Texas was going to win.

I’m pretty sure I said we’re usually down by 15 at this point to jfelt.[/quote]

We rarely blow anyone out so I never expect it. I expected an 8 point win - happy we actually seized the game. The first half was brutal basketball on both sides. I can use a lot of words to describe it - none being fun. As you said - they are trash and they were beating us at the half. I still expected to win, but that doesn’t mean I enjoyed watching turnover after turnover in the first half in a dead arena while scoring a total of 20 points. Put the two halves together and you get what I said. One half sucked, one half was fun which to me equals frustrating.

It is very rare to blow a team out in both halves. Not just at charlotte, anywhere.

I don’t find that frustrating. If we had struggled the second half as well and won by ~8, it would have been.

Man…you’ve really lowered the bar.

They are going to be really pissed at us when we play at North Texas later this season…

Who is “THEY”? Who is going to be pissed off? And WHY are “THEY” going to be pissed off?

Who is “THEY”? Who is going to be pissed off? And WHY are “THEY” going to be pissed off?[/quote]

Maybe the players that got t’d up and one was ejected. Did you see the game?

Who is “THEY”? Who is going to be pissed off? And WHY are “THEY” going to be pissed off?[/quote]

Maybe the players that got t’d up and one was ejected. Did you see the game?[/quote]

Nope, I did not. I had to miss this game. That’s why I was unsure who was going to be pissed. What did we do to piss them off? If it is simply a matter of them getting a T, they could just be pissed at the refs.

Maybe the players that got t’d up and one was ejected. Did you see the game?[/quote]

Nope, I did not. I had to miss this game. That’s why I was unsure who was going to be pissed. What did we do to piss them off? If it is simply a matter of them getting a T, they could just be pissed at the refs.
[/quote]

Seemed to be some jostling and jawing back and forth beforehand and I think their players said something not so nice to the refs after fouls were called on them, to get the T’s.

We rarely blow anyone out so I never expect it. I expected an 8 point win - happy we actually seized the game. The first half was brutal basketball on both sides. I can use a lot of words to describe it - none being fun. As you said - they are trash and they were beating us at the half. I still expected to win, but that doesn’t mean I enjoyed watching turnover after turnover in the first half in a dead arena while scoring a total of 20 points. Put the two halves together and you get what I said. One half sucked, one half was fun which to me equals frustrating.[/quote]
The only thing that bothered me about this game was the lazy and risky passes that resulted in turnovers. Other than that the offensive flow (especially with Woods and Dorn involved) for good % shots were good. We can be explosive offensively at times but lack shooting consistency and like many teams your shots become more and more tentative ( defined as a fear of missing). After a couple of baskets you can see the intensity and confidence, offensively and defensively pick up. It defines our year so far and is the reason we can overcome big deficients.
Bottom line, I think we get good % shots most of the time so it just becomes the ability to knock them down as our only problem. When we do everything else falls into place. Look at Duke the other night. They couldn’t recover from Miami’s hot shooting and they become tentative and if memory serves me correctly, Miami shot even better against us and we only lost by 3.
If we can just stay away from those shooting droughts IMO we can hang with anybody.
Yes I’m a glass half full guy but some of you think there’s barely a sip left in the bottom.

We rarely blow anyone out so I never expect it. I expected an 8 point win - happy we actually seized the game. The first half was brutal basketball on both sides. I can use a lot of words to describe it - none being fun. As you said - they are trash and they were beating us at the half. I still expected to win, but that doesn’t mean I enjoyed watching turnover after turnover in the first half in a dead arena while scoring a total of 20 points. Put the two halves together and you get what I said. One half sucked, one half was fun which to me equals frustrating.[/quote]
The only thing that bothered me about this game was the lazy and risky passes that resulted in turnovers. Other than that the offensive flow (especially with Woods and Dorn involved) for good % shots were good. We can be explosive offensively at times but lack shooting consistency and like many teams your shots become more and more tentative ( defined as a fear of missing). After a couple of baskets you can see the intensity and confidence, offensively and defensively pick up. It defines our year so far and is the reason we can overcome big deficients.
Bottom line, I think we get good % shots most of the time so it just becomes the ability to knock them down as our only problem. When we do everything else falls into place. Look at Duke the other night. They couldn’t recover from Miami’s hot shooting and they become tentative and if memory serves me correctly, Miami shot even better against us and we only lost by 3.
If we can just stay away from those shooting droughts IMO we can hang with anybody.
Yes I’m a glass half full guy but some of you think there’s barely a sip left in the bottom.[/quote]

Fair enough. After a decade of bad losses including some of the worst RPI losses in program history last year, blow out losses, 3 NITs, no NCAAs, APR issues, FT issues, an empty arena and lots of other stuff I just don’t have much left in my glass. I have used up just about all of positivity I had. I commend those of you who have spirits that haven’t been broken.

Always good to come away with a win despite a poor shooting night by Gavin Wilson.