Now all the school needs is a new AD

I think it will be Darinā€™s job when Judy leaves. Assuming he wants it and heā€™s still here.

[quote=ā€œ49RFootballNow, post:21, topic:25042ā€]I think it will be Darinā€™s job when Judy leaves. Assuming he wants it and heā€™s still here.[/quote]This seems more realistic.

I would be on board for that, but who knows if Bobby would. Coaching a basketball team and running an athletic department are very different jobs.

Many coaches go on to be ADā€™s after coaching. Mike Roth at Gonzaga was an assistant there before taking the AD job and has done very well. Mike Bellotti was a football coach at Oregon and took the job over there in 2009ā€¦ Who knows more about what athletic programs need than what former coaches do?? Who knows more about what type of kids are being recruited and what would attract them to a school, or what type of coach todays athlete desires to play for!
Im not here saying any coach could be an ADā€¦but Bobbyā€™s education, personality, and leadership would be one hell of a match. Hell, anybody with a personality would be an upgrade from whoā€™s in there now.

Of the internal candidates it has to be Spease or Mike Hummer. External candidates, Iā€™d imagine AADā€™s of BCS football programs would now be top targets. Weā€™ve only had one AD ā€œonlyā€ in school history and she was an internal promotion.

Many coaches go on to be AD's after coaching. Mike Roth at Gonzaga was an assistant there before taking the AD job and has done very well. Mike Bellotti was a football coach at Oregon and took the job over there in 2009... Who knows more about what athletic programs need than what former coaches do?? Who knows more about what type of kids are being recruited and what would attract them to a school, or what type of coach todays athlete desires to play for! Im not here saying any coach could be an AD..but Bobby's education, personality, and leadership would be one hell of a match. Hell, anybody with a personality would be an upgrade from who's in there now.

While I am drawn in theory of Bobby as AD, the reality makes me hesitant.

Even if Bobby was hired as AD today heā€™d be in an athletics department completely different than the one he left last year. Football has and will continue to dominate this athletics department from this point forward. Iā€™d be surprised and horrified if the next AD was NOT a football-first person.

Thereā€™s also the fact that Phil has to be gone as well as Judy. Even then Bobby would need the next Chancellor to be a ā€œfamilarā€, aka someone already here, or a very powerful group on the BoT to push for him.

Ide say the odds would be GREAT!

For the people that hate Rose, why support Spease? Heā€™s a member of her staff.

these silly threads make me laugh.

The guy is well versed in business, has 3 degrees (including a Masters in Economics) and has played most sports himself at a pretty high level. He's well known with a lot of connections is an alum and loves the school. What else do you need?
Oh my. It does get deep in here and so does the love for Bobby.

Bobby didnā€™t want to coach in the A10. Why would he want to be AD here?

clt endorses lutz for ad.

I donā€™t think Lutz has to be THE AD, but it would be nice to have him there in some capacity.

Donā€™t you know Bobby responded to their emails when he was coach here, so that means he should be our next AD.

Could he make a good AD? Perhaps.

I just find it quite ironic that people want to push for him as AD with no AD experience, when we criticize every coaching move made by the current AD for not hiring someone with Head Coaching experience.

Besides, unfortunately I donā€™t think the current AD is going anywhere anytime soon.

I like the thought of Lutz as AD and from my understanding there was some implication after he was hired as BB Coach that this could be his career progression but the politics dance is a complicated one.

Eventhough he is a scratch golfer and a very genuine person I do not think hand shaking and making the rounds to the social events would be his strength. I think this was some of his issues while Coach.

Chancellor has to be onboard for a strong Athletics department and winning teams for the AD to matter at all no matter who it is.

So everyone wants a new AD because of bad hires?

Football coach is debatable until late 2013 early 2014. If Amato was so great, he would have a job.

Basketball has not been good but the situation has been worse. Do people forget two years ago we had what 10-12 wins? We bring in a new coach and have no bench yet we have the same amount of wins. I agree that now football and basketball are the main sports but we have yet to touch the football field (or build anything for that matter) and this hire was so bad. You guys need to give it a rest. If our basketball team was undefeated you guys would find something to complain about. Every other sport is top notch. Since all you guys want winning teams go support one of the actual winning teams then (Which is almost every other sport besides mens BB). Everyone on here was so happy when Major was hired, 25 games laterā€¦its the end of the world.

The AD hired who she thought was the best. She is more worried about winning, not hiring mike minter. A big name gets you instant success, actually winning gives you longevity.

BOBBY LUTZ!!!

Ide say the odds would be GREAT![/quote]And he can hire Rob Moxley as head b-ball coach. Right?

[quote=ā€œcltniners, post:31, topic:25042ā€]clt endorses lutz for ad.[/quote]Great point.

If it was, Bobby would be disqualified before the interview. Its a good day in 49er history as we are one step closer to a football team. Sorry, but I dont get most of you. With our budget we couldnā€™t afford the coach with the perfect resume. Iā€™m happy we made the hire today, happy they had the guts to let Lutz go, and for the most part think they have done their homework with football. Maybe things could have gone better, but things are happening.

Not only does OUR football coach have contacts with NC high school coaches, but he also has them with the coaches in Georgia ( from his years at UGA ), the #2 recruiting ground in the southast! Guys, this is a great hire for OUR University! As well as the OCā€¦and as to BB coach Major, he has some really good wins (UT, GaTech, Xavier), despite having his best big men out for most of the seasonā€¦give him a chanceā€¦he has shown that he can coach!