Obama questions whether risks of football worth it for college players

College players are especially vulnerable, Obama told The New Republic, since they aren't represented by unions or heavily compensated.
He conceded that "those of us who love the sport are going to have to wrestle with the fact that it will probably change gradually to try to reduce some of the violence."

Hey Mr. President, how about focusing on jobs, the deficit, and the never-ending housing crisis. Leave college football alone.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/27/obama-questions-whether-risks-of-football-worth-it-for-college-players/

He was asked a question.

He answered it.

Seriously, I get it. You don’t agree with him. I don’t agree with him on very much, either.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to get out of shape every time he says a word other than “deficit” or “jobs”.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27424”]He was asked a question.

He answered it.

Seriously, I get it. You don’t agree with him. I don’t agree with him on very much, either.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to get out of shape every time he says a word other than “deficit” or “jobs”.[/quote]

+1

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27424”]He was asked a question.

He answered it.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to get out of shape every time he says a word other than “deficit” or “jobs”.[/quote]Reasonable response Lew, but he only has four years left and I would hate to see him go four more without at least addressing one of those issues.

According to the administration and the so called free press the economy is fixed, the housing crisis is over, and the deficit is under control. :))

He’s right though, football as we know it could (and arguably, should) change drastically over the next decade.

If it becomes too much of a liability you’ll see high school programs drop the sport.

Padding should on the outside of the helmet and proper tackling should be a rule, not a suggestion.

[quote=“Nugget, post:4, topic:27424”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27424”]He was asked a question.

He answered it.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to get out of shape every time he says a word other than “deficit” or “jobs”.[/quote]Reasonable response Lew, but he only has four years left and I would hate to see him go four more without at least addressing one of those issues.[/quote]

If you want to debate his job as President, go to the politics forum.

[quote=“The White Samurai, post:7, topic:27424”][quote=“Nugget, post:4, topic:27424”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27424”]He was asked a question.

He answered it.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to get out of shape every time he says a word other than “deficit” or “jobs”.[/quote]Reasonable response Lew, but he only has four years left and I would hate to see him go four more without at least addressing one of those issues.[/quote]

If you want to debate his job as President, go to the politics forum.[/quote]I’ll stay out of politics if he will stay out of sports.

[quote=“Nugget, post:8, topic:27424”][quote=“The White Samurai, post:7, topic:27424”][quote=“Nugget, post:4, topic:27424”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27424”]He was asked a question.

He answered it.

If you want to debate his job as President, go to the politics forum.[/quote]I’ll stay out of politics if he will stay out of sports.[/quote]

Dude he was asked about it in an interview, he didn’t go out of his way to hold a press conference or something. Calm down.
What was he supposed to say? “Oh I’m sorry, I’ll have to plead the fifth, since that question is not about jobs or the economy.”

[quote=“Chisox17, post:9, topic:27424”]Dude he was asked about it in an interview, he didn’t go out of his way to hold a press conference or something. Calm down.
What was he supposed to say? “Oh I’m sorry, I’ll have to plead the fifth, since that question is not about jobs or the economy.”[/quote]

Shouldn’t nugget’s outrage be directed at the person that asked the question to the President in the first place?

clt says there is no football in kenya

[quote=“Chisox17, post:9, topic:27424”][quote=“Nugget, post:8, topic:27424”][quote=“The White Samurai, post:7, topic:27424”][quote=“Nugget, post:4, topic:27424”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27424”]He was asked a question.

He answered it.

If you want to debate his job as President, go to the politics forum.[/quote]I’ll stay out of politics if he will stay out of sports.[/quote]

Dude he was asked about it in an interview, he didn’t go out of his way to hold a press conference or something. Calm down.
What was he supposed to say? “Oh I’m sorry, I’ll have to plead the fifth, since that question is not about jobs or the economy.”[/quote]

No, but perhaps he should say something along the lines of "well, I should probably leave that to the experts who have a freakin’ clue about the issue’…but of course he has never known anyone as intelligent as he is… ::slight_smile:

Jesus. He was asked his opinion and he gave it.

I swear to god some folks would get pissed if he said one plus one equals two.

[quote=“The White Samurai, post:10, topic:27424”][quote=“Chisox17, post:9, topic:27424”]Dude he was asked about it in an interview, he didn’t go out of his way to hold a press conference or something. Calm down.

Shouldn’t nugget’s outrage be directed at the person that asked the question to the President in the first place?[/quote]Well now I have drawn you into talking politics in the football forum. Perhaps a mod can move this? I can’t see the politics forum so I will be done.

Hardly outrage, but no, I do not begrudge any reporter asking any questions they want to. First Amendment. But if these are the top domestic items of focus then there is much work to be done and I would appreciate a little focus. Stay off Letterman, stay off The View, and quit talking about football with bloggers.

[quote=“Nugget, post:14, topic:27424”][quote=“The White Samurai, post:10, topic:27424”][quote=“Chisox17, post:9, topic:27424”]Dude he was asked about it in an interview, he didn’t go out of his way to hold a press conference or something. Calm down.

Shouldn’t nugget’s outrage be directed at the person that asked the question to the President in the first place?[/quote]Well now I have drawn you into talking politics in the football forum. Perhaps a mod can move this? I can’t see the politics forum so I will be done.

Hardly outrage, but no, I do not begrudge any reporter asking any questions they want to. First Amendment. But if these are the top domestic items of focus then there is much work to be done and I would appreciate a little focus. Stay off Letterman, stay off The View, and quit talking about football with bloggers.[/quote]

This!

Geeez, I don’t like the POTUS all that much but he is huge sports fan and has a right to voice his opinion just like anyone else in this country. Especially if he was asked a direct question regarding the topic.

I liked what Tony Boselli said:

Tony Boselli ‏@TonyBoselli@Espngreeny interesting, I do have boys and I am thinking long & hard about them getting near politics. No problem them playing football.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:17, topic:27424”]I liked what Tony Boselli said:

Tony Boselli ‏@TonyBoselli@Espngreeny interesting, I do have boys and I am thinking long & hard about them getting near politics. No problem them playing football.[/quote] :))

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:17, topic:27424”]I liked what Tony Boselli said:

Tony Boselli ‏@TonyBoselli@Espngreeny interesting, I do have boys and I am thinking long & hard about them getting near politics. No problem them playing football.[/quote]

Excellent. :smiley:

I’m sure you all never spend time talking to people about things outside of your job.