Observer 1A: Fighting commuter school image

The State of Connecticut just built a stadium for UConn in East Hartford on an old airfield next to the Pratt & Whitney aircraft engine plant. I thought it was a waste of taxpayer’s money to build it for what amounts to a handful of games a year. At least they went for a minimal, but expandable design that can grow with the team.

It would make sense for Charlotte to play at Erikson for a similar reason. It gets used eight or more times a year for football and pretty much sits there during the winter otherwise. Why have two stadiums each sitting empty most days the year.

Here’s another thought. The Panthers have to go all the way to Spartanburg to practice. If the Panthers helped Charlotte build a training facility on campus or paid rent to offset the cost, it would again kill two birds with one stone. I suspect the SC location might be a bit of PR on their part to make them a true Carolinas team. I don’t know how schools like Wofford, Albany, Hofstra, etc. conduct their own training around the NFL teams but it apparently works

Amazing though… there is a good chance (as long as Judy Rose is around) that we will be 30,000 students and no football team.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 11:46 AM [b] So the new entrance won't be in built until 2008 at the earliest!??! Not good to hear. [/b]
If putting off a new sign means giving us time to change our name to the Univeristy of Charlotte before we order it...well... that could be cool.

Not that we’ll ever change it.

Or get football.

[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 05:05 PM [b] The State of Connecticut just built a stadium for UConn in East Hartford on an old airfield next to the Pratt & Whitney aircraft engine plant. I thought it was a waste of taxpayer's money to build it for what amounts to a handful of games a year. At least they went for a minimal, but expandable design that can grow with the team.

It would make sense for Charlotte to play at Erikson for a similar reason. It gets used eight or more times a year for football and pretty much sits there during the winter otherwise. Why have two stadiums each sitting empty most days the year.

Here’s another thought. The Panthers have to go all the way to Spartanburg to practice. If the Panthers helped Charlotte build a training facility on campus or paid rent to offset the cost, it would again kill two birds with one stone. I suspect the SC location might be a bit of PR on their part to make them a true Carolinas team. I don’t know how schools like Wofford, Albany, Hofstra, etc. conduct their own training around the NFL teams but it apparently works [/b]

Panthers training camp is in Spartanburg at Wofford College b/c Jerry Richardson went to school there and played football. They also have 2 huge practice fields right next to BOA Stadium.

It would cost us alot of $$ for us to play our games at BOA Stadium. Memorial Stadium is a much better fit. Whenever it happens. :frowning:

But,Who cares about Football right now. Our basketball team is ranked 21st in the country. GO NINERS!!!

30,000 students by 2015??? Maybe then we can sell out home games :smiley: