Observer 1A: Fighting commuter school image

Aggressive building program includes chancellor’s home

Good feature. Major transformation going on over there. 300 million in new construction. I can’t wait for the new main entrance to be done.

Thanks Mike. Good read.

I had a chance to go to Chancellor Woodward’s house before. He lives in the gated community by Southpark right down the street from Jerry Richardson. He has a very, very nice place.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner @ Posted on Feb 19 2005[/i]@ 08:39 AM [b]I can't wait for the new main entrance to be done. [/b]
Does anyone know the time table for this project?
[i]Originally posted by UpState49er+Feb 19 2005, 10:17 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (UpState49er @ Feb 19 2005, 10:17 AM)

see Library :smiley:

Since we’re on the subject of buildings going up on the UNC Charlotte campus…

Everyone here should assist and contribute to the $2 million needed to get the Harris Alumni House built!

We could have a NinerNation.net pregame/postgame event there, it’s OUR building with plenty of room for meetings and receptions of varying sizes. All it takes is a contribution of $149 for a brick paver, $1000 for a regular tile (payable over 4 years) or $2500 for a premium tile (payable over 5 years).

Purchase a tile or a brick, join a team!

Join the list of contribtors today!

Everyone should go take a look at the UNC Charlotte Master Plan in the library. There’s a website for it, but it doesn’t do it justice.

The new entrance is actually near the top of the to-do list on the plan. The high-rises are being demolished somewhere between 2008 and 2010, and that’s when they’ll do the new entrance a little further down 49.

clt found the on campus housing numbers quite interesting. if you factor in the off campus student housing around the school, clt wonders what the number would be.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 08:39 AM [b] Good feature. Major transformation going on over there. 300 million in new construction. I can't wait for the new main entrance to be done. [/b]
I took some new people to the Depaul game and the first comment when we pulled into campus was "that sign has got to go".....
[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 09:55 AM [b] Everyone should go take a look at the UNC Charlotte Master Plan in the library. There's a website for it, but it doesn't do it justice.

The new entrance is actually near the top of the to-do list on the plan. The high-rises are being demolished somewhere between 2008 and 2010, and that’s when they’ll do the new entrance a little further down 49. [/b]

So the new entrance won’t be in built until 2008 at the earliest!??! Not good to hear. I still think we should put a new sign out front for now and then move it to another entrance once the new one is built. At least we have that new building at the front. I bet people wonder what’s behind it. :o :o

[b]clt found the on campus housing numbers quite interesting. if you factor in the off campus student housing around the school, clt wonders what the number would be.[/b]

And it’s tragic there’s nothing aside from the university to do within safe walking distance.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF @ Posted on Feb 19 2005[/i]@ 09:55 AM [b]Everyone should go take a look at the UNC Charlotte Master Plan in the library. [/b]
Are these pictures or a model? Where is it located in the library? I haven't been inside that building for over 16 years.

Campus Master Plan - 30,000 students by 2015

The Observer story mentioned retail and entertainment to be added within walking distance. I have heard there are major plans in the works for this. One day students will be able to walk to the shops, bars/restaurants and stumble home safely.

Planning Assumptions

I find the wording of assumption number 20 interesting.

[b]No football stadium shall be constructed on property currently owned by the University.[/b]

Assumption #20

[i]Originally posted by UpState49er[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 12:58 PM [b] Are these pictures or a model? Where is it located in the library? I haven't been inside that building for over 16 years. [/b]
The Master Plan is actually a book. It can be checked out... it's on the 3rd floor of Atkins along with some other books about UNC Charlotte and the university system.

I found some pictures of some of the new buildings going up on campus from todays Charlotte Observer.

Campus construction

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 01:47 PM [b] One day students will be able to walk to the shops, bars/restaurants and stumble home safely. [/b]
And Over40 and I shall chase young coeds around on our Rascal scooters. [img]http://www.rascalscooters.com/images/scooterfaqphoto.jpg[/img]

HP49er,
Thanks for the reminder on the brick pavers. I just bought one.

I wish that I had gotten in on the campaign to have one placed at the SAC in the mid 90’s, but I was just a student then and broke (just like now) so I guess the Alumni house will have to do.