Observer article on Iti

[b]Courtney Rosegreen's name even appearing in the story speaks volumes to me. Coach Lutz is negotiating with Rosegreen while only asking Iti if he is in shape and ready to play.[/b]

Why is his “guardian” still make decisions for him? He 20 1/2 years old, when is he going to make his on decision/spoke for his self?

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Aug 3 2004, 10:44 AM [b] This is an interesting scenario for him. Let's examine his playing history. At Mt. Zion he was maybe the 4th, but probably the 5th, scoring option on the floor at any given time (based on what I saw in one game). At Charlotte, never higher than the 4th option even if Sager was in the game. Iti as a first or second option will be VERY interesting. I'd like to see it... [/b]
I wouldn't. At least not unless he's improved 200% over the offseason (which with all his drama, I doubt is the case). If he was a 1st/2nd option, then we'll see it. If he was a 1st/2nd option last season, we would have seen it. Of the glimpses of his offense we did get last season... lets just say it was none to impressive, as far as I'm concerned. If Iti does the work, and has the game, he'll get the shot to be a primary option at any level. Till then. He's a defensive body that we hope doesn't foul out in the first half.

I guess what that pair needs to realize is that just because you want something, doesn’t mean you’re going to get it. You don’t become a 1st scoring option at D1 by accident. You actually have to be good. If you’re not good, WORK ON YOUR GAME. Don’t hunt for violently lower tier programs just to get your way. Who are you fooling besides yourself?

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Aug 3 2004, 03:40 PM [b] I guess what that pair needs to realize is that just because you want something, doesn't mean you're going to get it. You don't become a 1st scoring option at D1 by accident. You actually have to be good. If you're not good, WORK ON YOUR GAME. Don't hunt for violently lower tier programs just to get your way. Who are you fooling besides yourself? [/b]
I think you guys are hitting on something with this scoring option thing. Iti's people think he is an NBA player. They want him to be the go-to guy. They want it now, rather than waiting for him to develop. They are very misguided and they've corrupted Iti, IMO.

Overall we’ve got to realize that although Iti may not need to hold his mother’s hand anymore, he is still young, too young to have the experience to know what the consequences of certain decisions will be. Unfortunately he needs role models, and coach lutz seems to be the only one worth a damn. From what I know his family is half the reason he considered going for a payday, and I feel like the pressure to make money, quick, is why he keeps waffling. Unfortunately Iti dosen’t realize that potential is worthless without work, and all this drama dosen’t leave much time for working on actually playing basketball. Right now Iti is a 7-footer coming up four inches short that plays like greg foster with lead shoes. Why don’t you have something to sell before you go to market, Iti, and your not going to get better playing juco over Div I BB. The bottom line is you better commit to something and turn that potential into polish, because your hand is looking worse with every passing day.

Regardless of which route he goes with, can anyone detail what he is doing to improve his stock? Has he ben spotted working out? Anywhere? Pre-draft tryouts were a bust (and are not, by any stretch of the imagination, a summer workout) and it appears all of a sudden that Alton Lister is the “ticket man” for potential NBA centers. I don’t follow the NBA, but I can say I have never heard of any quality players form Mesa JC, much less from the “Alton Lister School for Big Men”.

Martin… whatever you choose to do, young man, be decisive about it. Somewhere along the way, work on your game so that you can produce at whatever the next level is for you.

I don’t think this has been mentioned yet, but what if Iti is looking to transfer to a Juco and then transfer to Clemson a year later. Is Nicklebury behind all of this?

[i]Originally posted by jdm49er[/i]@Aug 3 2004, 11:22 PM [b] Regardless of which route he goes with, can anyone detail what he is doing to improve his stock? Has he ben spotted working out? Anywhere?

Martin… whatever you choose to do, young man, be decisive about it. Somewhere along the way, work on your game so that you can produce at whatever the next level is for you. [/b]

As always, he’s been working out (somewhere) under the guidance of Rosegreen. 6:00 AM workouts heavy on conditioning and 15 foot jumpers. He’s lost weight (he’s in shape) and not working on post game. At first I thought they were trying to make him into a forward (he’s only 6’9" in shoes?) but now the stuff came out about learning from an NBA Center at Mesa. Don’t know what to make of it.

I do know that the coaching staff wanted him to add weight, lift, eat so that he maintains strength gains and work on post game. Perhaps a big man camp? :rolleyes: Most “dads” put their faith in the coaching staff once their kid goes off to school. Seems this is not happening.

At JUCO he won’t have to contend with Nance for a starting position.
The Clemson theory may be accurate. Surely he wouldn’t think he would better his chances of getting drafted at a JUCO.
His best bets to get quick money are probably Australia or Missouri.

at least he wouldn’t have to worry about long seasons at Clemson. They usually wrap up after the first day of the ACC Tournament. :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by N1NER[/i]@Aug 4 2004, 08:57 AM [b]I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but what if Iti is looking to transfer to a Juco and then transfer to Clemson a year later. Is Nicklebury behind all of this?[/b]
That was the theory when Vincient Grier left last summer, but he will be playing for Minnesota next year after his one year JUCO stop. So even though he was suppossedly a Nickleberry guy, he didn't follow him to Clemson. I don't know how much Nickleberry had to do with getting Iti here, but I still think(as many did with Grier) that if he were following Nickleberry he would straight up transfer there, sitting out a year but not loosing that year of eligability. Who knows with Iti though.........

I haven’t been following it closely, but I think Clemson has been signing up some pretty good recruits. If Grier or Iti are thinking about going to Clemson they had better work on a backup plan because the only room in Littlejohn may be in the stands.

I can’t believe that no one has posted Alton Lister’s career stats, well here they are in all their glory:
94-95 MIL 60 32 12.9 .493 .000 .500 1.10 2.80 3.90 .2 .27 .95 .63 2.40 2.8
95-96 BOS 57 14 11.4 .490 .000 .629 1.10 3.40 4.40 .3 .11 .68 .77 2.10 2.3
95-96 MIL 7 5 12.6 .444 .000 1.000 1.00 3.10 4.10 .6 .00 .43 .57 2.10 1.4
96-97 BOS 53 2 9.7 .416 .000 .742 1.20 1.90 3.20 .2 .15 .26 .57 1.80 1.6
97-98 POR 7 0 6.3 .375 .000 .000 .30 1.30 1.60 .1 .14 .14 .29 1.70 .9

That last line, PPG. Obviously he got better as he went on, surely a wonderful teacher. Geez, Iti wise up, what is he going to teach you, how to put on 3 inches, what, platform shoes and hair gel? I hear the Serge Zwikker big man school is always open to fresh faces as well.