Observer article on Iti

Iti considering JC’s

And a bonus on Withers

I hope the big guy stays. He needs some stability in his basketball career.

Thanks, Mike.

Article only adds to the ambiguity in my opinion. We still don’t really know anymore about his intent, other than it’s likely not academic-related.

Bottom line for me is that Iti is considering these options. I think that alone, is why so many people are showing some resentment towards him. And it doesn’t help when we have a stud like Withers, who could actually excel at the next level, who wants to be a Niner. If grades aren’t an issue and he didn’t commit any NCAA violations, then I’m not sure there’s another acceptable excuse for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope he stays with us because we could use the help in the paint. But at the same time, I want to go watch guys that have no doubts about their devotion to our program. Not ones that are considering community colleges or ones that would have already left us had they been good enough to play at the next level.

Thanks for the link Mike.

This seems to be a never ending saga. Like everyone has always said, we’ll play with players who want to be here. Who knows if that includes Iti or not. I just hope he makes his OWN decisions, for his sake.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines. I’d say Bobby knows what Iti’s motivation is from talking to Rosegreen, but what good would it do for him to share while there’s a chance Iti will come back?

I’m glad we got to hear from Coach Lutz (although, he wouldn’t speculate publicly on Iti’s reasons for looking elsewhere). Also, at least Iti and Rosegreen are talking now. If they all have a chance to sit down and discuss it, I’ll feel much better about the outcome, regardless of what it is.

Nice Withers story too. Lutz traveled all the way to Halifax, Canada to support his guy. Dalonte Hill was in NJ for the trials. That’s the way it’s done.

I just think that Iti’s track record with us is why it’s so frustrating. This is a guy who announced he would be playing for Charlotte and then left us thinking that he would never play one game for us. Many of us believed he would jump straight to the NBA from high school, based on all the hype surrounding him. Then we finally got confirmation that he would in fact play for us. That was incredible news but we were then left with the disappointment of a subpar season from Martin. However, we all knew he would only get better, as we looked forward to his sophomore season with us.

Then we get the totally unexpected news that he’s going to the NBA camps to test the waters. This rubbed some people the wrong way and led some to believe that he didn’t want to be in Charlotte. We all knew that he wasn’t good enough to play in the NBA but we still felt he may opt for playing overseas. Well, we get Martin back and everyone is happy again because we know we’ll be getting that sophomore season from him after all. And just as we’re sending in our 49er Club donations and paying deposits on our season tickets, here we go again with Martin having thoughts about playing for a community college.

I just think it’s been nothing but drama with Martin from day one and personally, I’m growing tired of it. After awhile, it becomes a distraction for the team and the fans are put off by it. If he’s back, great but at this point, I just want him to decide on something either way, so we can focus on this season and the guys that are going to definitely be wearing Niner jerseys.

I’m just ready for all the drama to end. It’s not fair to the current players, coaches and also the fans to have to wait until classes begin to see if Iti is on the UNCC campus.

I say we get rid of Iti and open up the scholorship for someone who deserves it. I think that we had a clear sign before with the NBA thing to see his lack of commitment. I can only imagine what it might do to the team this year if Iti doesn’t do well again and gets his minutes cut back. He will likely run off in the middle of the season …he obviously doesn’t care what his actions do to the team and to the program.

I’ll take a different angle, I wasn’t thrilled with getting a guy who planned to stay short term especially after the Rodney White ordeal. I can’t believe some of you guys are shocked by all of this. Here is a raw, talented kid who wants to play in the NBA. I’m surprised he came to Charlotte to begin with. I’m not surprised that he’s considering leaving, no matter how poor of a season he had last year.

Come on guys, reality check here. The guy figured he’d be a stud at a school like Charlotte, make it to the NBA and bank some coin. It didn’t work out like he wanted and now he wants to leave Charlotte anyway. Should any of us be surprised?

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Aug 3 2004, 08:36 AM [b] Come on guys, reality check here. The guy figured he'd be a stud at a school like Charlotte, make it to the NBA and bank some coin. It didn't work out like he wanted and now he wants to leave Charlotte anyway. Should any of us be surprised? [/b]
Had Iti played one year, averaged 16pts and 15 rbs. and left for a successful NBA career, then no, I don't think any of us would (1) be surprised or (2) be resentful. I just think it's the nature of this situation that has turned it into a big deal. Considering a move to a community college is a surprise however. Just doesn't rub me the right way.

Mike, thanks for the Niner coverage in today’s Big O. I’ll admit that after all the speculation, etc. about Iti prior to reading this morning’s paper, I expected the headline to read “Charlotte’s Iti to transfer to JC”. So basically the guy at JucoJunction.com is not only a poor writer, his research and fact-checking skills aren’t too good either.

At this point, if Iti decides to transfer, head back “down under” for the NBL, or whatever, I’m just going to wish him all the best. After 30+ years of following the Niners, there isn’t much that surprises me anymore… :rolleyes:

Question:

Why would Iti be interested in playing for a JC? How would this help him?

[b]Why would Iti be interested in playing for a JC? How would this help him? [/b]

For one he could probably be the big man on campus playing against less quality players than he is faced with in Division 1 ball.

Secondly, he has attended something like 5 schools in the past 4 years, why disrupt the trend.

Could Iti be throwing a temper tantrum and trying to punish the coaches? When Iti talked to the coaches about entering the NBA draft this summer and they discouraged it were his little feelings hurt? Maybe this is how he gets back at them, threaten to leave and make them beg him to stay. It seems to me that both sides have more to gain if he stays, but I don’t see where the big win is for him if he leaves. Bad strategy I think.

This actually fits perfectly into Iti’s past pattern of vagabond existence. Heck we were going thru the same thing(Iti watch/ sightings) last year this time.

It is obviously a pattern to his life for whatever the reason. I want him to come back to at least give us some minutes and time to fill his scholarship with a player that wants to be here and work hard and improve and not someone who is always playing games and holding us hostage because of his handler.

Courtney Rosegreen’s name even appearing in the story speaks volumes to me. Coach Lutz is negotiating with Rosegreen while only asking Iti if he is in shape and ready to play. :wacko:

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Aug 3 2004, 10:13 AM [b] Courtney Rosegreen's name even appearing in the story speaks volumes to me. Coach Lutz is negotiating with Rosegreen while only asking Iti if he is in shape and ready to play. :wacko: [/b]
Who wants Iti's services? Redlands, Compton, Mesa??? Does seem like a trend, doesn't it?
[b]For one he could probably be the big man on campus playing against less quality players than he is faced with in Division 1 ball.

Secondly, he has attended something like 5 schools in the past 4 years, why disrupt the trend.[/b]

This is an interesting scenario for him. Let’s examine his playing history. At Mt. Zion he was maybe the 4th, but probably the 5th, scoring option on the floor at any given time (based on what I saw in one game). At Charlotte, never higher than the 4th option even if Sager was in the game. Iti as a first or second option will be VERY interesting. I’d like to see it…