Observer Article on the A-10 and Charlotte Athletics

Kind of a rehash of what everyone knows but still interesting.

http://www.charlotte.com/274/story/659687.html

What a poorly written article, especially the following:

It's true that the only 49ers teams that have earned at-large bids to an NCAA tournament in three years in the A-10 are the men's and women's basketball teams, who have earned berths in the National Invitation Tournament.

Hmmm…

umm… lemme think really quick.

women’s soccer, golf, baseball, track & field…am i missing anything?

I love my man Hibbs, but he is wrong in that piece. The sorry A10 and the ability to dominate it…IS THE REASON baseball and other sports have earned NCAA appearances.

LOL at Judy Rose comments regarding hoops vs olympic sports.

But, that quote is correct. It’s not auto bids, it’s at-large bids he’s talking about.

I’m still trying to figure out how the only teams that received NCAA at-larges were the men’s and women’s hoops teams, which received NIT bids!!! Does the writer not know that receiving an NIT bid is not the same as receiving an NCAA bid?! :huh:

Not super relevant, but thought it was worth posting…letter to the editor:

Submitted by Neal from Monroe, NC
[B]Q:[/B] [I]I graduated from the University of South Carolina and I am puzzled at the lack of sports coverage given to the “Gamecock” teams. There are a great deal of Alumni living in the Charlotte region whom I feel deserve better coverage from the Observer. Is it possible to provide better coverage or is the paper limited to information sent from the various schools media releases?[/I]
Answered 06/09/08 11:45:58 by Rick Thames
[B]A:[/B] We know we have a large number of Gamecocks fans in our region. But we’re unusual in that we track many teams with significant fan bases here. Here is how Sports Editor Mike Persinger explains it. “We are limited more by the fractured nature of our readership in terms of college allegiances than we are by the information available. Appalachian State, UNC Charlotte, Clemson, Davidson, Duke, Johnson C. Smith, North Carolina, N.C. State, South Carolina, Wake Forest - fans of all these area schools and more expect coverage in the Observer. And that list doesn’t include the schools for thousands of newcomers who arrive here each year from other areas of the country.” Elsewhere in the country, some newspapers can be singular in their focus. In Kansas, football means Kansas and Kansas State. In Columbia, it’s the University of South Carolina, plus some Clemson. “We are, by necessity, split many more ways,” Mike says. "What we try to do is recognize moments for each school and be there when they happen. We covered all of South Carolina’s major football games, and we were there at the NCAA baseball regional in Raleigh that included the Gamecocks. “So it’s not about availability. It’s about spreading the coverage around.”

[QUOTE=run49er;324073]I’m still trying to figure out how the only teams that received NCAA at-larges were the men’s and women’s hoops teams, which received NIT bids!!! Does the writer not know that receiving an NIT bid is not the same as receiving an NCAA bid?! :huh:[/QUOTE]

The writer did say NCAA Tournaments, and the NIT is owned by the NCAA now, so he is correct, yet the sentence is misleading.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;324144]The writer did say NCAA Tournaments, and the NIT is owned by the NCAA now, so he is correct, yet the sentence is misleading.[/QUOTE]
I know the NCAA owns the NIT. Doesn’t mean an NIT bid equates to an NCAA at-large bid. Geez! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=run49er;324170]I know the NCAA owns the NIT. Doesn’t mean an NIT bid equates to an NCAA at-large bid. Geez! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just saying the writer is techincally correct. We did go to an NCAA tournament. Just not the NCAA tournament. It is poor word choice at best, but not incorrect.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;324172]Yeah, I was just saying the writer is techincally correct. We did go to an NCAA tournament. Just not the NCAA tournament. It is poor word choice at best, but not incorrect.[/QUOTE]
PB, we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Just not going to convince me that NIT bid = NCAA at-large bid. To me it’s sorta like saying that since Ford Motor Company owns Volvo, if you bought the latter, you’re buying a Ford (or in this case, an “at-large” Ford! :tongue: ).

[QUOTE=somosdel;324059]Kind of a rehash of what everyone knows but still interesting.

http://www.charlotte.com/274/story/659687.html[/QUOTE]

Didn’t Joe Habina write for the school paper in the late 80’s early 90’s??

[QUOTE]
UNCC is content with the A-10, Rose said, [U][B]but she added that the conference needs to make more effort to brand itself.[/B][/U] Its nationally ranked teams need to be better known outside the A-10, she said. That will be one of the tasks for newly hired commissioner, Bernadette McGlade.
[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who found this a bit funny?

Why don’t you start with what you control before you criticize others.

[I]"Since the conference switch, the [B]softball[/B], men's tennis, men's outdoor track and field, women's indoor track and field, and women's outdoor track and field teams all won their first league championships.[/I]"

When did Charlotte win the A10 Softball Championship? I thought we always won that. Good on you if you pulled that off. Lot of screwups in this conference, would be nice if more members took all their sports seriously.

[QUOTE=LastMinuteman;324242]When did Charlotte win the A10 Softball Championship? I thought we always won that. Good on you if you pulled that off. Lot of screwups in this conference, would be nice if more members took all their sports seriously.[/QUOTE]
We won the regular season in 2006.

[QUOTE=run49er;324066]What a poorly written article, especially the following:

Hmmm…[/QUOTE]

Mike P. you and your staff have now proved (once again) that you are all dumbass hacks…

[QUOTE=Powerbait;324172]Yeah, I was just saying the writer is techincally correct. We did go to an NCAA tournament. Just not the NCAA tournament. It is poor word choice at best, but not incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Is this like the definition of “is”

Come on, there’s a big difference between NIT and NCAA bid, no matter who owns it.