Observer Asheville game story

“It was a win”

[b]"I just felt like we were better without him today," Lutz said. "[/b]

A statement like this should NEVER have to be made about a player like Curtis Withers. I don’t know what Curt’s problem is this season but more often than not, he just looks lazy and lost out there on the court. Sure, he has a good game or two and shown flashes of why he’s one of the best PF’s in the country. But it just doesn’t look like the same Withers out there to me, that we’ve seen in previous years.

There’s not a team in this country he wouldn’t start for so it blows me away that you should ever feel like you’re better off with him on the bench. Whatever is up with him needs to get straightened out soon, preferably by Wednesday.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 09:00 AM [b]
[b]"I just felt like we were better without him today," Lutz said. "[/b]

A statement like this should NEVER have to be made about a player like Curtis Withers. I don’t know what Curt’s problem is this season but more often than not, he just looks lazy and lost out there on the court. Sure, he has a good game or two and shown flashes of why he’s one of the best PF’s in the country. But it just doesn’t look like the same Withers out there to me, that we’ve seen in previous years.

There’s not a team in this country he wouldn’t start for so it blows me away that you should ever feel like you’re better off with him on the bench. Whatever is up with him needs to get straightened out soon, preferably by Wednesday. [/b]

It’s because he is being miss used. What other coach would have him running around on the point of a full court press and only touching the ball on the perimeter? We are wasting his talents.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 09:35 AM [b] What other coach would have him running around on the point of a full court press and only touching the ball on the perimeter?

[/b]

I don’t understand why this continues to happen.

I guess the only conclusion is that Lutz (or his staff) don’t know how the coach an inside game.

[b]It's because he is being miss used. What other coach would have him running around on the point of a full court press and only touching the ball on the perimeter? We are wasting his talents. [/b]

I totally agree with this statement. He sure was used correctly when he played on the US team this summer.

[i]Originally posted by tm49er[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 10:13 AM [b]
[b]It's because he is being miss used. What other coach would have him running around on the point of a full court press and only touching the ball on the perimeter? We are wasting his talents. [/b]

I totally agree with this statement. He sure was used correctly when he played on the US team this summer. [/b]

He was a garbage man, ie Ben Wallace for Sampson. That’s what that team needed. Lutz is asking him to do more. He’s capable of scoring from inside and out. I would like to see him closer to the basket, though…especially to rebound.

So was Curt used “correctly” last year or was he just so good he was able to compensate for it?

If that’s the case why isn’t he compensating for it this year? Or did Lutz just decide he didn’t want to use Curt effectively?

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 09:35 AM [b] It's because he is being miss used. What other coach would have him running around on the point of a full court press and only touching the ball on the perimeter? We are wasting his talents. [/b]
Gotta agree with you there.

We may be miss using Curt, that is certainly possible. However yesterday I agree with Coach, EJ was a better player.

Curt wasn’t going strong to the basket, was half a$$ing it up and down the court and then pouted when Lutz go onto him about it.

I agree we need to see Curt more on the low block and then get him the ball when he is. But yesterday wasn’t the first time he hasn’t showed up due to the competition we were playing. His head wasn’t in it yesterday.

I disagree with people who say we shouldn’t use him in a press. He’s big, fast and a good defender. If you can use that to your advantage do it. Curtis is athletic enough to be effective on the press.

Some blame can be put on Lutz for misusing Curtis but I’ve seen Curt play for three years now and I am not seeing the same Withers out there on the court. As I said earlier, there are just times where he looks like he’s just out there barely going through the motions. He seems like he’s daydreaming and often confused. I think Lutz can run all the plays for Curtis he wants but until Curtis plays with more passion, it’s not going to matter.

I hope Curt isn’t doing anything extracurricular that would affect his game. :ponder:

Same here NormanNiner. This is Curtis’ year to really gain himself national exposure on a much higher level. So far, he’s not showing up. Games he should dominate in, ala UNCA, he’s not. Very few teams have guys that can guard Withers.

Question for everyone, if Lutz isn’t using Curtis the right way, what is the right way?

He puts him out on the perimeter but can he score from there? Yes he can.

Can he drive to the hoop and pull up the mid range jumper? Yes he can.

So why not put him out on the perimeter? I agree that he shouldn’t be out there all the time, but we’ve seen he can produce from out there. I think if he splits his time 70/30 between the paint and perimeter we do well.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 11:06 AM [b] [i]Some[/i] blame can be put on Lutz for misusing Curtis but I've seen Curt play for three years now and I am not seeing the same Withers out there on the court. As I said earlier, there are just times where he looks like he's just out there barely going through the motions. He seems like he's daydreaming and often confused. I think Lutz can run all the plays for Curtis he wants but until Curtis plays with more passion, it's not going to matter. [/b]
Agree completely, JCL. If Curt is playing like this because he feel's he's not being used properly (which is just speculation) then he has a piss-poor way of dealing with it. This is not the same Curtis Withers we've come to know and love. I don't think he's pouting - I don't know what it is but I don't think Curt would pout.

BRING BACK THE HEADBAND!!!

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 01:47 PM [b] Agree completely, JCL. If Curt is playing like this because he feel's he's not being used properly (which is just speculation) then he has a piss-poor way of dealing with it. This is not the same Curtis Withers we've come to know and love. I don't think he's pouting - I don't know what it is but I don't think Curt would pout.

BRING BACK THE HEADBAND!!! [/b]

I talked to Curt after the game at the kids autograph session. He seemed fine. He did mention bringing back the headband for a retro night.

Don’t most big men want the freedom to roam the court??? INSIDE-OUTSIDE is what every forward wants to be nowadays. I’m sure he wants more touches but he obviously likes showing his perimeter game based on the number of threes he takes. And don’t forget his quote from Slam magazine. He said when he was being recruited, the coaches told him they see him in a Rodney White type role and he liked that.

With the exception of a couple games, he has looked far from being on the same level of Rodney. I think Curt has more scoring threats around him than maybe Rodney did which forced Rodney to become the focus more often.

And seeming fine around a bunch of kids is one thing but he still looks out of it on the court. I expect more from Curtis than what we’re getting and it’s not because defenses are shutting him down. He’s too good to not get his points. Again, no coach should ever have to say we’re better off with him on the bench.

Bobby was screaming at Curt to get under the basket in the first half of the UNCA game.

Bobby was not very happy with the team at all that game, and I can’t blame him. They looked like garbage. I don’t know why, I don’t care why, I just want it to end. This won’t get it done in conference play, where we will HAVE to get it done, because the conference is down this year.

Perhaps the best moment of the night, “What was that?” I couldn’t have agreed more.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 03:36 PM [b] And seeming fine around a bunch of kids is one thing but he still looks out of it on the court. I expect more from Curtis than what we're getting and it's not because defenses are shutting him down. He's too good to not get his points. Again, no coach should ever have to say we're better off with him on the bench. [/b]
I meant he seemed fine as in upbeat, joking around. He wasn't sulking over how he's being used or not playing much in the second half. He just doesn't seem intense unless it's a big game. Fortunately we've got a lot of weapons to carry us through the UNCA's, GA Sts, Tulane's. We'll definitely need Big-TIME Curt for the big games.
[b]I meant he seemed fine as in upbeat, joking around.[/b]

I would expect that considering he was around kids, signing autographs.

[b]He just doesn't seem intense unless it's a big game.[/b]

And this is one big reason why we find ourselves only up single digits with less than 2 minutes to go against an abysmal UNC-A team. There’s no excuse for not bringing your “A” game, regardless of the competition. And when you have all the preseason hype that Curtis had, there’s even more reason to show up every game. To me, you’re lazy if you only play your best when the opposition warrants it.

It’s not all on Curtis by any means, but we should be blowing these teams out and not having them hanging around in the closing minutes. If Curtis only gives 100% in “big” games then maybe Lutz was right… maybe we are better at times with him not in the game.

good grief shut up. im so tired of “get the ball inside to withers, why doesn’t lutz go inside??”. and now “curtis is being miss used.”. he is playing the exact same game he did last year and was still posting double doubles. he just seems out of it this year. other than the alabama game with the nasty dunk i have never seen curtis work with his back to the basket. most of the times i see him score is like someone said “garbage points”, a soft shot along the foul line or he just flat out drives from the top of the key.

if you want to bitch about coaching go to a Carolina Panthers message board or start a John Fox thread.

[i]Originally posted by ninerID[/i]@Dec 20 2004, 08:04 PM [b] good grief shut up. im so tired of "get the ball inside to withers, why doesn't lutz go inside??". and now "curtis is being miss used.". he is playing the exact same game he did last year and was still posting double doubles. he just seems out of it this year. other than the alabama game with the nasty dunk i have never seen curtis work with his back to the basket. most of the times i see him score is like someone said "garbage points", a soft shot along the foul line or he just flat out drives from the top of the key.

if you want to bitch about coaching go to a Carolina Panthers message board or start a John Fox thread. [/b]

Thanks for letting everyone know what their opinions should be.