Observer - Major Interviewed by David Scott

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/25/4793694/four-years-into-major-era-charlotte.html

If nothing else it’s clear Major understands the frustrations of the fan base. It doesn’t make everything okay, but these are the questions most of us wanted answered so it was good to see it happen.

The fact of the matter is, we win, none of the small s*** will matter to most of us. For some, winning won’t even be enough, but having AM and Judy leave will give them an orgasm.

[quote=“CMack124, post:1, topic:28731”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/25/4793694/four-years-into-major-era-charlotte.html

If nothing else it’s clear Major understands the frustrations of the fan base. It doesn’t make everything okay, but these are the questions most of us wanted answered so it was good to see it happen.[/quote]

Well… It wasn’t very difficult for them to find the questions we wanted answered. All someone from the AD had to do was go to this board. I would have been disappointed if they had not known the questions to answer.

Ummm MOST of uncc checked out long ago homeslice.

SOME hang to a thread. All 6 of you

This.

Q. Although you’ve had a winning record in each of the past two seasons, long losing streaks in February have compromised your postseason chances. Why did those teams fade down the stretch? A. “I don’t know. That pattern is something we’ll look at over the next few months as we go through the program A to Z. I don’t think it’s anything physically. There were several games where we had chances late, but couldn’t win. You look at everything: travel, practice length, you go through the whole program. But sometimes it’s just needing to play better in that particular circumstance.”

Major better be losing sleep over this one… this has GOT to stop or he better be fired next year. Do you know what his Feb record is?

7-22

[size=1.45em]7-22[/size]

so when other teams are working hard in Feb to increase their chance of making the post season we are crapping the bed.

He admitted he didn’t know the problem, I guess that’s step one when you have an issue, step two if fixing it, he needs to call up his buddy Keady or something, just fix it.[left][/left]

Ummm MOST of uncc checked out long ago homeslice.

SOME hang to a thread. All 6 of you[/quote]

I see YOUR hard-on is now starting, traitor.

[quote=“EE9er, post:5, topic:28731”]This.

Q. Although you’ve had a winning record in each of the past two seasons, long losing streaks in February have compromised your postseason chances. Why did those teams fade down the stretch? A. “I don’t know. That pattern is something we’ll look at over the next few months as we go through the program A to Z. I don’t think it’s anything physically. There were several games where we had chances late, but couldn’t win. You look at everything: travel, practice length, you go through the whole program. But sometimes it’s just needing to play better in that particular circumstance.”

Major better be losing sleep over this one… this has GOT to stop or he better be fired next year. Do you know what his Feb record is?

7-22

[size=1.45em]7-22[/size]

so when other teams are working hard in Feb to increase their chance of making the post season we are crapping the bed.

He admitted he didn’t know the problem, I guess that’s step one when you have an issue, step two if fixing it, he needs to call up his buddy Keady or something, just fix it.[left][/left][/quote]

I wonder if Judy made Major’s teams practice at 5:00 AM in February to give her women’s team a chance to practice at prime practice time.

haha even the walmart fans are commenting on the Observer artical…dude has a tarhole profile pic while saying fire Major :eek: :))

I was kinda pleased with how Major answerd the questions on scheduling while interviewed on the coaches show monday, saying we are looking for better teams to play…but when he is interviewed here it just seems like will see the same crap we have for the last couple of seasons minus the tourny in charlestown…I dont see us scheduling anyone too tough when the conference wants a 70% win in ooc

I thought that was one of the only really telling answers in the article. The rest were basically admitting we had problems and that we should fix them, but there was actually some insight on the scheduling thing. The A10 made a big push towards scheduling tougher after that season GW had two losses and only got an 8 or 9 seed. I’d be interested in knowing if they had a “win XX% of your OOC games” or if it was more of a “play a SOS less than XXX.”

CUSA telling teams in a one-bid conference to try to load up on wins is the wrong approach, I think. You don’t want to become the Big South, but if you actually want to be an at-large bid conference it is all about tough OOC schedules. “Play 8 or 9 teams you should beat and 2 or 3 that will be a big RPI boost win or lose” seems to be the wrong approach.

I thought that was one of the only really telling answers in the article. The rest were basically admitting we had problems and that we should fix them, but there was actually some insight on the scheduling thing. The A10 made a big push towards scheduling tougher after that season GW had two losses and only got an 8 or 9 seed. I’d be interested in knowing if they had a “win XX% of your OOC games” or if it was more of a “play a SOS less than XXX.”

CUSA telling teams in a one-bid conference to try to load up on wins is the wrong approach, I think. You don’t want to become the Big South, but if you actually want to be an at-large bid conference it is all about tough OOC schedules. “Play 8 or 9 teams you should beat and 2 or 3 that will be a big RPI boost win or lose” seems to be the wrong approach.[/quote]It’s about raising the conference-wide rpi, so that teams are playing teams with high winning percentages (raising their rpi significantly due to that being 50% of the formula) and can get top 100 and top 50 wins in conference play. As long as the selection committee wants to rig the game by focusing on SOS, including conference play in their rpi measures comparing conference strength and strength of opponents, and not any measure that includes whether the game was played on the road or not, it will be extremely difficult for CUSA teams to achieve the resume building wins they need while playing a tough schedule (because none of the higher profile teams will come play a true road game if the opponent is a tough team from a lower profile conference). CUSA may be a “one-bid” conference most years, but they’re not as far from it as the Big South, so in many years a little help from the conference could push a team or two into the at-large discussion.

It requires smart expectations for how good your team will be, but if the top teams play tougher OOC schedules and the bottom teams play much easier schedules, the conference as a whole benefits by playing teams with higher win percentages on average after OOC play. The A10 may have emphasized strength before, but they went right back to encouraging scheduling based on expectations in recent years. I wonder if Tulsa scheduled the way they did in part because they knew they were leaving soon, as they really hurt the rest of the conference this year by losing so many games OOC despite being a decent team. It probably helped them later in the season, but hurt chances for at-larges by the bubble teams.

Again, more coach speak and very little straight talk. We don’t want Braxton and Pierria to be interchangeable, we want them out there together. Any chance Braxton, Woods, and Sullivan all come off the bench next year? Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

What did you expect? The AD and coaching staff are still in Damage Control mode.

What did you expect? The AD and coaching staff are still in Damage Control mode.[/quote]
I didn’t expect anything different, but I was hoping he would say something that mattered. Guess not

While it was clear that David Scott was pulling his questions straight out of the shoutbox, I was pleased that he asked some pointed ones.

None of the answers really bothered me except Major saying he “doesn’t know” why we collapse in February. It is a 4 year trend. He hasn’t figured it out in four years. He likely wont figure it out in year 5, either…though I hope he does. Just concerning that he can’t buck the trend. If we were as good in February as we are in November (forget getting better, just maintain the status quo) we’d have already been back to the dance by now.

Easy to see why so many good players were so pleased to leave and left the dysfunction which is now Charlotte Basketball.

Alan Major Oliver, Judy Doubletalk Rose, CHP are basically saying We dont give ah fuk about being a top notch program. We dont give ah fuk about the fan base.

Ya’ll just keep paying the checks and we’ll keep feedin you sh*t. PRICELESS !

[quote=“bballtazzmania, post:16, topic:28731”]Easy to see why so many good players were so pleased to leave and left the dysfunction which is now Charlotte Basketball.

Alan Major Oliver, Judy Doubletalk Rose, CHP are basically saying We dont give ah fuk about being a top notch program. We dont give ah fuk about the fan base.

Ya’ll just keep paying the checks and we’ll keep feedin you sh*t. PRICELESS ![/quote]

ah, sokool. The master of witty nicknames…

That was a pretty good interview.

I agree, but the not knowing why we keep flatlining in February thing bothers me.

I am sure it bothers him far more than us.