Offensive Rebounding

The best defense for against fast breaks IS
Offensice rebounding!

1 Like

Yes, but when we don’t get the rebound, it would have been 5 on 3 heading the other way and it’s the other team getting all the fast breaks and we’d get run out of the gym.

Pick your poison instead of sitting around sme

North Texas is almost 300 spots better than us

If we even tried to get an offensive rebound, we would have won more this year. Think what an offensive rebound with a potential put back can do to end a drought.

We also don’t run a fast break. Both of those put together could have gotten us a few more wins with how close our losses are.

North Texas proves you can do better than us on the boards and on the break while playing better defense.

4 Likes

I didn’t say we crash the board with 5, 2 or 3 players dropping back on D should be enough to stop the ball and most fast breaks and if it’s 5 on a fast break then they have leaked their entire team out and we absolutely should rebound.

The best way to punish a team for leaking out is getting offensive rebounds. It’s his same mentality when a team presses us. The best way to make a team stop pressing is push the ball and score, instead he stays with his methodical approach.

1 Like

You may be hitting on what our biggest problem is. We are too rigid in our approach and we don’t allow enough flexibility in the system or the players to do what makes sense in the situation they find themselves in.

4 Likes

It’s like when he said we can’t play a 2/3 zone because the team hasn’t practiced it. Dude a 2/3 is the first team defense a player learns.

Ron makes basketball wayyyyy to complicated.

You’re right, it is mainly because of the get back and defend philosophy of the pack line D Ron runs. Part of it is bacause our “bigs” weren’t fleet of foot enough, to either get position (although I do seem to recall us getting several offense boards each game), or the inability to get back down on defense fast enough. The gains of getting an extra board or two a game, might just as easily be offset by giving up as many or more easy shots at the other end by not being set on defense.

Maybe a more telling statistic would be in our games this past year, what was the offense rebound differential between our opponents and us. If the offensive rebounds are pretty similar, then it’s not that big a deal.

Even if you don’t get the rebound you can stop the break. It’s called jamming the rebounder. Good Lord

5 Likes

That wasn’t the question. The question was, in OUR games, what was the margin difference between our opponents and us for that particular game. Not season averages against all teams.

If we average 6.4 and were only allowing, say 7.4 per game, then it’s not that big of an issue.

I’m sure that most games we gave up more, but if our opponents in our games only got one or two more than we did, what do the metrics say as to the risk reward of not getting back on D?

Hard to jam someone that’s already past you.

Quicksand. Not gonna engage

1 Like

You are the Ron fan go look that up. The average tells me the other team probably gets 2-4 more offensive rebounds a game. Many of those around the basket which likely leads to 6-8 pts for the other team per game.

I don’t think any of us are saying we send 5 guys to crash the board and rebound. We are saying we need to let 2 guys fight for it while the other 2 or 3 get back. That’s solid basketball strategy. The other team has 2 or 3 also looking to rebound. If they leak out more than that they are depending on one guy to rebound and we need to put pressure on them and punish them for leaking out.

The thing is Ron is more worried about setting up his defense, which is funny because we weren’t good there either. So we give up on ORB only to go back and suck on D.

Like all things though no matter what Ron does you think it’s great. Hey Ron killed a puppy and you would some how defend it.

1 Like

I’m just not sure how anyone can defend anything our basketball program is doing. It’s obviously not working so acting like nothing needs to change is confusing. Just paying attention to what is going on with recruiting should tell you what the rest of the basketball world thinks about our current situation.

3 Likes

This.

Ron thinks if we get back on D the defense can get the ball back more often than the odds of getting the offensive rebound. However…that’s just not true with how poorly we run his defensive system. Our defense isn’t Elite enough for this strategy of completely bailing on the offensive boards…it’s statistically disadvantageous.

The other issue with this strategy…getting the ball back on defense puts you 90ft away from scoring…whereas an offensive rebound can put you within 10ft of scoring. So, all things being equal…an offensive rebound results in points exponentially more often than a defensive stop on the other end of the court.

The odds of getting an offensive board + the odds of that resulting in a score >>>>> the odds of making a stop on the other end + the odds of scoring from there

IMHO

2 Likes

How is it remotely possible that the person getting the rebound is already upcourt past the person they are fighting for the rebound!?!!?

Typically if multiple players are fighting for the rebound, the player that gets rebound is blocking out the other to be closer to the rim. That puts him BEHIND the other player and in a position to be jammed as soon as they control the rebound.

You do watch basketball, right Mrs Sanchez??

1 Like

Like I said TR, it’s quicksand. No use engaging. Makes zero sense to anyone that knows hoops

Again butt munch, I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t try to get more offense rebounds. My point is who on last year’s team could? Which 2 players would you have crashing the boards? Briscoe? Cye? JT? Even Brice never showed alot of interest in getting after rebounds in a crowd. Aly, yes if he had position, but if he’s shooting open 3’s, then he’s not getting there

Ron or whomever we get next, needs to recruit those type players. You went to the games, do you truly feel like we were more athletic than alot of the teams we played?

Again, I understand and agree with your point, but just because you wish something was so, or demand it happens, doesn’t mean it would or could work. You’ve got to have the Jimmy’s & Joe’s

Which obviously rules some if you out from the start.