Official Gardner Webb Game Thread

DOBA. I think the 1983 national title was the worst thing that ever happened to their basketball program. They fostered high expectations in their fan base that can't realistically be fulfilled. I know a lot of rational State fans who have basically shared this sentiment.

or Jim Valvano getting cancerā€¦ They had a chance to really be something with him.

Anyways, yes, state fans are probably the most aarogant about nothing fans youā€™ll ever meet.

sorry - since it was brought up I figured I would commentā€¦

Last year when we played wofford (i think) over christmas break i went to the game. I saw a friend of mine from highschool who goes to NCSU down in our student section with his girlfriend (who goes to Charlotte). So naturally I went and sat next to him because I hadnt seen him in ages. So we get to talking during halftime and I asked him what made him choose between state and charlottes engineering programs (since im always very interested in peoples replys for and against) and he tells me ā€œI wanted to go to a GOOD engineering schoolā€. This a**hole told me, KNOWING that I was an engineering student here at charlotte essentially that my school sucked.

Poor idiot doesnt realize what heā€™s missing out on. Congrats to you and your prestige - I actually know and communicate with my teachers.

Another funny sidebar to the situation is that one of my good friends whos a student at Carolina was sitting with me - and he couldnt believe what he had just heard - and we all know how most carolina students are about their whole high and mighty role in the universe.

sorry - since it was brought up I figured I would comment...

Last year when we played wofford (i think) over christmas break i went to the game. I saw a friend of mine from highschool who goes to NCSU down in our student section with his girlfriend (who goes to Charlotte). So naturally I went and sat next to him because I hadnt seen him in ages. So we get to talking during halftime and I asked him what made him choose between state and charlottes engineering programs (since im always very interested in peoples replys for and against) and he tells me ā€œI wanted to go to a GOOD engineering schoolā€. This a**hole told me, KNOWING that I was an engineering student here at charlotte essentially that my school sucked.

Poor idiot doesnt realize what heā€™s missing out on. Congrats to you and your prestige - I actually know and communicate with my teachers.

Another funny sidebar to the situation is that one of my good friends whos a student at Carolina was sitting with me - and he couldnt believe what he had just heard - and we all know how most carolina students are about their whole high and mighty role in the universe.

Chevee and I know enough about what goes on over there in contrast to here to know that our engineering program is much better. Iā€™ve know people that moved from Raleigh to Charlotte to attend our program.

Whatā€™s the joke Iā€™ve been told? Lets seeā€¦

State is a really good school. Once youā€™ve graduated from there you are well prepared to move on to a University.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;279083]Chevee and I know enough about what goes on over there in contrast to here to know that our engineering program is much better. Iā€™ve know people that moved from Raleigh to Charlotte to attend our program.

Whatā€™s the joke Iā€™ve been told? Lets seeā€¦

State is a really good school. Once youā€™ve graduated from there you are well prepared to move on to a University.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I know that we built our program off of theirs in the first place, but now, state schools are building their engr programs off of Charlotte. State has a better nuclear engr program and civil may be a little better, but I know for a fact, that the double E program at Charlotte is much better at preparing students. [/hijacking]

The EE program had itā€™s roots from Ga Tech.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;279087]The EE program had itā€™s roots from Ga Tech.[/QUOTE]

really? hmmm, okay

Actually the civil department at charlotte is better - and our civil graduate program is top 50 in the nation

and ive also been told the electrical is much better

and their nuclear is better, but thats because they actually have a nuclear program. Basically we both have the big 4 in engineering, civil, mechanical, electrical, and computer. They however have chemical and nuclear as well - but weā€™re to the point now where we can start stearing away from the same things. Take for instance the bioinformatics (being bult right behind Duke up on hwy 29) which, to my understanding, is essentially gene tampering. So here we are playing with genes while they play with chemicals. I think that speaks for itself. Oh and dont forget the fact that we have to top motosports engineering program in the country, and though it sounds redneck, a lot of people have no idea how intelegent you have to be to develop a winning motorsports prgram.

Basically - we are definately MAJOR competition to them in all of their departments that both of us have, and in many i think we have surpased them. Only here at Charlotte, weā€™re building a new 12 building (i think?) research institution thats basically being built around our engineering program right now. Soā€¦ we have better resourcesā€¦ a major city to feed our students directly in toā€¦ smaller classes (many of which are mandated at no more than 20-25 people per class)ā€¦ and EXPANSION ROOM.

burn.

oh yeah, and ive had a lot of guys who were already in the engineering work force before they came back to get their bachelors or masters tell me that their bosses told me they hire charlotte engineers over state engineers because state engineers are morons - just to echo waht you guys said earlier

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc1;279089]oh yeah, and ive had a lot of guys who were already in the engineering work force before they came back to get their bachelors or masters tell me that their bosses told me they hire charlotte engineers over state engineers because state engineers are morons - just to echo waht you guys said earlier[/QUOTE]
I work at an engineering firm here in Charlotte. We have one state grad. The rest are Charlotte grads and we have to hjelp the state one out on application of theory since they donā€™t help make that connection at UNC-R. And I expect us to have nuclear engr in the near future with the new EPIC.