Okay, now on to next year...

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Mar 28 2005, 01:19 PM [b] Returning his orange sports coat to the store? [/b]
To the Knoxville Wal-mart?

I think it is a lot to think we will just waltz into the A-10 and win the league. Good goal to win your league in any year but this is no cake walk - like many of you seem to think. Yes the A-1o had a crappy year this past season, but they are young and poised for a turnaround. Charlotte and St. Louis only make this league better. Yes, St. Louis, they will be back, and I think they will be much better next season.

I predict that the A-10 will get three to four bids next season.

How bout a new big man?

I want, I want, I want. What are you willing to give?

[i]Originally posted by Seniorfan[/i]@Mar 28 2005, 07:06 PM [b] I want, I want, I want. What are you willing to give? [/b]
I'll give Iti and Lutz to UT for Greg Marshall.
[i]Originally posted by Seniorfan[/i]@Mar 28 2005, 07:06 PM [b] I want, I want, I want. What are you willing to give? [/b]
Iti to the NBA for Amare Stoudamire, somehow.
[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Mar 28 2005, 01:41 PM [b] Depending on how you look at it, it either took us almost 10 years to replace Lee Rose or 20 years if one looks strictly at postseason success. [/b]
27 years and counting

Defense.

What am willing to give? I’ll tell you one thing, I gave a lot more of a damn than it looked liked the team or coaches did down the stretch.

The question should be ‘how much less are people going to give after the clusterfuck that march has been’?

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Mar 29 2005, 09:12 AM [b] The question should be 'how much less are people going to give after the clusterfuck that march has been'? [/b]
How much less are you going to give?

For me, I will give what I always do, small as it is. Nothing this year has made me feel like I need to cut back on my contributions, though I won’t be giving more.

Not this year at least.

[i]Originally posted by minerniner[/i]@Mar 28 2005, 06:20 PM [b]I think it is a lot to think we will just waltz into the A-10 and win the league. Good goal to win your league in any year but this is no cake walk - like many of you seem to think. Yes the A-1o had a crappy year this past season, but they are young and poised for a turnaround. Charlotte and St. Louis only make this league better. Yes, St. Louis, they will be back, and I think they will be much better next season.

I predict that the A-10 will get three to four bids next season.[/b]

Miner, I agree with you. If GW doesn’t lose Mike Hall and Pops Mensah-Bonsu to the NBA (which I doubt - neither one is first round material at this point), plus the addition of LSU transfer Regis Koundija, the Colonials are the odds-on favorites to repeat as A-10 champs. Karl Hobbs loses only one player of any significance - T. J. Thompson.

Xavier seems poised to return to the top of the league after a year in which a young team, a new coach, numerous injuries, and the washout of their star recruit all played havoc with the Muskateers. Sean Miller is bringing in 2 of the top high school players in Ohio next season, plus the return of redshirt forwards Brandon Cole and Boubacar Coly. X had only one senior this season and his contribution was mimimal. If Brian Thornton can stay healthy and Churchill Odia sticks around and lives up to even half the hype surrounding him, then this will be the team to watch in Cincy in 2005-06.

Dayton is definitely a team on the rise. Six freshmen played significant minutes this past season in which the Flyers finished 18-11. Like GW and X, they lose only one player and Brian Gregory has signed a couple of solid freshman forwards for next year.

UMass has the players. Now we’ll see if Travis Ford can get a team that beat UConn at home and GW on the road to play that way for an entire season.

Rhode Island was decimated by injuries and dismissals, otherwise the Rams would probably have had another 20-win season in 2004-05. With the return of redshirts Dawan Robinson and Jamal Wise, Jim Baron should have the folks in East Kingston excited about Rhody hoops again.

Not sure what to say about Temple. John Chaney returns for what is probably his last season. The Hall of Fame/“Goon-Gate” coach has a couple of good ones in Mardy Collins and Mark Tyndale, but Chaney’s reluctance to ease back on the OOC schedule, update defensive schemes, etc., will probably doom the Owls to another early exit in the NIT.

Saint Joseph’s loses quite a bit in A-10 co-POY Pat Carroll, but a solid core of returnees plus a 4-player recruiting class in which the Hawks signed all of their primary targets should have Phil Martelli & Co. “dancing” again. After a 2004-05 OOC schedule almost as insane as Temple’s and built around the “missing” Delonte West, the Hawks should again be atop the A-10 standings.

Wildcards are LaSalle, Richmond, Fordham, and Saint Louis. Derreck Whittenburg is building a solid foundation at FU and the Rams should finally break the .500 barrier next year. Brad Soderberg has to turn things around at SLU or he’ll find himself among the unemployed. LaSalle’s season will hinge on whether or not co-POY Steven Smith returns to Philly or ends up in the NBA.

Once again, St. Bonaventure and Duquesne will own the bottom of the A-10. The Bonnies are still reeling from “Welder-Gate” and I don’t foresee any significant improvement there next season. The Dukes probably should have gotten rid of Danny Nee, but are giving him another season. If I were the folks in Pittsburgh, I wouldn’t expect much.

First off…WHAT AM I WILLING TO GIVE??? WTF!!!

I think I have given more than enough…I paid some freakin out of state tuition for 4 years… I continue to contribute more than my fair share (and God knows I need every penny I can get)…and not to mention I live and die with every freakin niner game (just ask my wife…it drives her nuts)

I’ve given enough…I can’t afford to break anymore furniture after witnessing a solid first half followed by a sleepwalk through the second half. I don’t want much…just give me at least one win in the touney.

Secondly…It is good to read an insightful post on the A-10. Yes…it was a down year for the league…but it is a good one nonetheless. I’m from the northeast, and the A-10 is boss. I think a lot of you guys fall victim to the southern basketball bias. Yes it may hinder recruiting…but we won’t know till we find out so quit whining about it.

the worst thing that could happen is to go into the a10 and not finish in at least the top 3…unless we lose withers or something…IMO, we need to go into this league and mark our territory as THE premier ‘player’ in the league. Especially if we want to position for a conference move down the road.

The way we tend to play though, I can see us going to Fordham on the road and losing.

Seniorfan,

Tell me what a 49er club member should give every year for today’s product? Tell me what extra should be given and for what added value?

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Mar 29 2005, 09:23 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Mar 29 2005, 09:23 AM)
[i]Originally posted by NinerOne[/i]@Mar 29 2005, 11:27 AM [b] the worst thing that could happen is to go into the a10 and not finish in at least the top 3....unless we lose withers or something....IMO, we need to go into this league and mark our territory as THE premier ‘player’ in the league. Especially if we want to position for a conference move down the road.

The way we tend to play though, I can see us going to Fordham on the road and losing. [/b]

I too can see us going to Fordham and losing next season – with or without Withers. Dereck Whittenburg has definitely turned things around at FU.

In following the A-10 this year and looking to next year, I can see us finishing anywhere from 1st to 6th. Don’t think we’ll come right in and take over, though I think we’ll definitely be a factor from the get go. George Washington, Dayton, Xavier, Saint Joseph’s, and Temple will be the ones to watch. If Travis Ford can find a PG to go with his 4 returning starters, then UMass will be in the mix as well. Should be fun.

GO NINERS!

I plan on doubling my contribution (and yes, its pretty low, so its easy to double :stuck_out_tongue: ). This isnt about reward or punishment for me, but the fact that I love me some 49ers, and we are in a transition year and need it.

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Mar 29 2005, 12:15 PM [b] I plan on doubling my contribution (and yes, its pretty low, so its easy to double :P ). This isnt about reward or punishment for me, but the fact that I love me some 49ers, and we are in a transition year and need it. [/b]
At least some people get it. After reading all this crap, it is clear to me this board is made up a bunch of lightweight, small picture people. Bitch and moan....wahwaaaaaaaah wahhhhhhh. Waaaaaah. :baby:

We don’t know how good we have it here. Look at those sorry basketball teams left floundering around in C-USA after doing absolutely nothing for 10 years. Then take a look at Charlotte. :o Some of our so-called diehard fans are embarrassing.