Oliver Stone's comments

So Stone probably took the wrong approach with his recent comments. But was I the only one who felt naive about not knowing more about the Holocaust? Mostly that by some accounts, more non-Jewish people were killed by Nazi Germany than Jewish people. He felt that that the treatment of Russian POWs was as despicable as the treatment of the European Jews. Also, that the term holocaust was used prior to WWII and was not specific to the Nazi holocaust of European Jews.

Again, Stone took a strange approach and I was somewhat ignorant to the history. But if nothing else, his antics did get me to look into what the hell he was talking about.

Stalin was nuckin futs, and the Russians were savages. They used POWs as slaves until they died from the elements or starvation. ZERO regard for them being human-. Agreed
There were people of all denominations summarily exterminated by the Nazi’s- Check

But the fact that the Nazi’s had “the final solution of the Jewish question” and constructed Death Camps as a result makes any argument that the Holocaust was no different a crock of shit. There have been atrocities committed by leaders long before and we still see them happening today, but this was such a systematic and brutally efficient process that is boggles the mind. I’m not Jewish, so it doesn’t hit close to home, but the Holocaust deniers are a bunch of loons.

I find Wikipedia to be moderately useful in cases like this. Start out on Auschwitz and follow links to the other camps, then to other genocides… You will see just how fucked up this word has been and currently is in some places.

Yea… the Nazis pretty much killed anyone who didn’t bow to them, and even then they still killed you. Blue eyes, blond hair Aryans need only apply (which I always thought was funny since Aryans are originally from the middle east so the likelyhood that they had those features isn’t exactly high).

It’s hard to discuss the topic without possibly sounding insensitive to the Jewish.

Basically I was familiar with the concentration camps, and had always thought the $6 mill European Jews killed was the “standard” representation of the Holocaust. I also knew there were other non-Jewish casualties. I just didn’t realize that some estimates for total deaths are anywhere from 11 million to 20 million. That there were also Romani people and Russian POWs in death camps. That the term holocaust was used prior to WWII, meaning the mass killing of any race/group of people.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:3, topic:23658”]Yea… the Nazis pretty much killed anyone who didn’t bow to them, and even then they still killed you. Blue eyes, blond hair Aryans need only apply (which I always thought was funny since Aryans are originally from the middle east so the likelyhood that they had those features isn’t exactly high).[/quote] You are not a history major!

Stalin & Mao killed even more in their gulags. Hitler killed around 15 mil of which around 6 mil were Jews. Stalin killed around 25 mil, a lot of whom were Jews, so it’s possible Stalin may have killed more Jews than Hitler. & Mao killed 50 mil. Pol Pot killed 1.7 mil, but in a country of little more than 3 mil.

Does anyone know why Hitler KNEW he could get away with the Holocaust on the Jews, Poles, Slavs, Roma/Romani/Gypsies, etc.? Turkey-WW1 killed Armenians & Assyrians. Turkey killed them because they were Christian, & they were trying to pacify their fellow Muslims who wanted independence. Guess who gave Turkey the idea for a Muslim Jihad on Christians in Muslim lands to pacify Muslims? The Kaiser of Germany (who was supposedly “Christian” himself,) Turkey/Ottoman Empire’s ally in WW1. Also, the Ottoman Empire used historians to rile Muslims up about a forgotten Muslim victory from the 1100’s-1300’s called the Crusades, which now no Muslim can forget. (Not to justify the Crusades, just saying.)

Armenians that came back to Turkey after WW-1 ended took revenge on the Turks after finding their homes ransacked. My great-great grandparents, who had Armenian family friends, were killed by Armenians in the southeastern part of when they had no part in the Armenian purge. These killings went unpunished by European powers that divided up Turkey post-WW1 and were virtually sanctioned by them in an effort to secure control in their newly created regions. Just saying, its a double edged sword.

It was the “Young Turks” movement that took over the Ottoman government which allowed an alignment of powers with Germany and the enforcement of the mass eviction of Armenians from the Ottoman empire. Before this time, the Ottoman empire for centuries allowed Jews and Christians alike to live freely, unlike Europe who persecuted Jews for centuries. Talking about Muslims, they also can’t forget the English and French who promised freedom from the Ottoman Empire to create independent countries like Syria, Iraq, and Iran.