Opinions for a keeper pick

OK,

I’m racking my brain on what to do about a keeper pick.

Background:
This team is inherited in a 12 owner league.
1st year it is a keeper league, 2004 rosters carry over.
Apparently one reason this guy quit is apathy, as evidenced by the roster he left me. He apparently was the guy to go to is you wanted to rob someone in a trade.

You can keep 1 player. The only rub is that it can’t be your 1st round pick from 2004. Immediately I can’t protect Jamal Lewis. That leaves the rest of the roster free. Once all of the the sleeper picks are determined the draft order is set based on Sportsline 2005 FFL rankings.
For instance Team A protects a player ranked 33, team B protects a player ranked 21, Team C protects a player ranked 81. Team C would pick #1, Team A #2, and Team C #3.

I’ on the fence between protecting Trent Green or Steve Smith.
Green has a high ranking #27, it will push me down in the draft a bit and I think I can get a solid QB down a few rounds. Smith is ranked low b/c of his injury, it would almost guarantee me a top 2 pick. Essentially the keeper is a second round pick, I haven’t anyone near a 2nd round value.

I was leaning Green but I think I may go with Smith.

Other options include Rod Smith, Travis Henry, and a bunch of other mid level and back up crap.

I think you’ve got to keep Smith. I feel he’s going to have a great year, plus you will get a very high pick in this draft so you can get a RB the equal of (or better than) J. Lewis, and yes you can get a servicable QB later in the draft.

I kept Smith, just got the draft order and I have #1.

given your system of how the draft order is done… i too would have kept smith. there are going to be mucho options for QBBC mid/late draft which will give you lots of value at RB/WR in the first third of the draft when other players are getting QBs.

In my league (7th year with the same 9 other guys. QB/RB/WR/TE/3Flex/K/Def), we keep 2 players, but the 2 players have to be from different positions (ie RB/QB, RB/WR, QB/TE, etc… but not RB/RB, WR/WR). And our draft is reverse order of last years finish. I won last year, and am keeping SAlexander, and either Bulger/SSmith. I’ve decided to go with Bulger, and pray CJohnson (I’ve projected 6 teams keeping RB/WR, and 4 including myself keeping RB/QB… CJ isn’t one of those being kept) falls to me at 1.10/2.01, which I actually think might happen. My draft is on the 1st… we have it as late as possible to protect against drafting someone then having them hurt preseason and not being able to recover. I’ll post the results afterwards if anyone’s curious.

Post it, I’m always curious how people do.

Post it, I’m always curious how people do.

1st of 3 drafts this year. 16 teams, 15 man rosters. You start QB, RB, WR, WR, WR, FLEX, TE, K, D/ST

I had the 8th pick.

1st - McGahee
2nd- T. Owens
3rd- Brady
4th- Steve Smith
5th- Ronnie Brown
6th- Carr
7th- Buffalo
8th- Wilkins
9th- Putzier
10th- Stallworth
11th- Mike Anderson (How many leagues do you get a starting RB with the 168th pick?)
12th- Reggie Williams
13th- Keading
14th- Jacksonville
15th- Becht

I feel good about this team in such a large league, assuming McGahee’s injury is minor. I do have 5 starters on a bye week in Week 9. Also, 2 of my 4 WR’s are on a bye in Week 7, so moves will have to be made, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Here is how it went. I’m not entirelly thrilled but…

QB’s: Delhomme, Pennington
RB’s Tomlinson, Ronnie Brown, Michael Bennett, Thomas Jones, Stephen Davis
WR’s Joe Horn, Steve Smith, Derek Mason, Braylon Edwards
TE’s LJ Smith, Bubba Franks
Def: Philadelphia
K: Keading

I’m a little dispointed with my QB situation, my RB’s depend on Brown and Bennett. The WR’s are good but not fantastic.

I just had my draft last night. 10-team. QB/RB/WR/3Flex/TE/K/DEF. Pretty normal scoring. 2 Keeper (where the keepers have to be different positions). I had the #10spot.

After keeping S.Alexander (RB) and M.Bulger(QB)… My draft went as follows:

3.10 - Westbrook
4.01 - Rudi Johnson
5.10 - Dunn
6.01 - A.Gates
7.10 - Chambers
8.01 - I.Bruce
9.10 - Kennison
10.01 - Hasselbeck
11.10 - TB Def
12.01 - Bettis
13.10 - Keyshawn Johnson
14.01 - M.Faulk
15.10 - M.Stover
16.01 - J.McCrariens

My starting lineup is:
QB: Bulger
RB: SA, Westbrook, Rudi, Dunn
WR: pick the best WR matchup wise for that week
TE: Gates
K: Stover
D: TB Def

I probably should have picked Moulds instead of Chambers at 5.10… but oh well. Other then that (and picking Hasselbeck, which I can live with)… I think it came out ok. Being able to start a top10 (possibly top5) QB, along with 4 top20 RBs, a top2 TE, and a decent K/D… hopefully one of my WR’s will pan out :slight_smile:

2nd of 3 drafts. #3 Pick. 12 teams. Standard scoring. Start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, D.

1st - P. Manning
2nd - T. Owens
3rd - L. Jordan
4th - M. Anderson
5th- J.J. Arrington
6th - A. Lelie
7th - Carolina
8th - J. Smith
9th - N. Kaeding
10th - R. McMichael
11th - M. Stover
12th - E. Manning
13th - A. Becht
14th - Seattle

3rd of 3 drafts #1 pick. 14 teams. Standard Scoring. Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, D/ST.

1st - L. Tomlinson
2nd - T. Holt
3rd - T. Brady
4th - W. Dunn
5th - D. Bennett
6th - M. Anderson
7th - Carolina
8th - S. Graham
9th - C. Pennington
10th - B. Troupe
11th - J. McCariens
12th - P. Edinger
13th - M. Pollard
14th - Kansas City

[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Sep 8 2005, 10:28 AM [b] 3rd of 3 drafts #1 pick. 14 teams. Standard Scoring. Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, D/ST.

1st - L. Tomlinson
2nd - T. Holt
3rd - T. Brady
4th - W. Dunn
5th - D. Bennett
6th - M. Anderson
7th - Carolina
8th - S. Graham
9th - C. Pennington
10th - B. Troupe
11th - J. McCariens
12th - P. Edinger
13th - M. Pollard
14th - Kansas City [/b]

M.Anderson in the 6th of a 14team draft?!?!?! hesus.