OT: Dr Doug Orr, Warren Wilson College

One of our former vice chancellors, Doug Orr, is president of Warren Wilson College in Swannanowa. He is retiring after 15 years. Dr. Orr was a strong, strong supporter of athletics while at UNC Charlotte.

Enjoy your retirement!

[URL=http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060513/NEWS01/60512066][B]Orr exits Warren Wilson College in style[/B][/URL], Asheville Citizen-Times

Doug Orr was responsible for bringing in Jeff Mullins. That change brought us back from the graveyard after Hal Wissel worked his magic.

During the last year of Wissel’s rein, I approached Orr at a game and told him that some changes needed to be made or our program was going down the toilet. He listened to everything I said and then asked that I write a letter to him with my complaints.

Of course, I followed through. I wondered at the time how many other letters with similar complaints that Orr received.

On the academic side, Orr was a mover and shaker with our university and helped put us on the map.

[QUOTE=Colorado49er;173533]Doug Orr was responsible for bringing in Jeff Mullins. That change brought us back from the graveyard after Hal Wissel worked his magic.
[/QUOTE]

I love the story behind this: the meeting at The Blue Mist, etc. Very intriguing.