OT: New Uptown Arena

Anyone heard any inside, “unofficial” talk about playing a game next year in the new arena in uptown Charlotte? It opens in November. It would probably cost a bundle to use the place, but maybe a sponsor would work up a deal. I have mixed feelings about even considering playing ANY home games away from Halton, but it may be a good investment if the opponent and the TV broadcast coverage is special.

Let’s publicly challenge carolina to a duel there and kick their ass.

[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Jan 1 2005, 09:36 PM [b]Let's publicly challenge carolina to a duel there and kick their ass.[/b]
If they won't come to Halton, I don't want to play them. I would like to see us get a team like Indiana there. A big conference team that travels their fans well(so we can sell a lot of tickets there), but not an ACC game where it would mean a lot more to us than just a basketball game.

Don’t know how true it is, but a few months ago people on this board were saying that Duke was talking to us about playing us at the uptown arena. Maybe we could use it to host a tournament and hope it goes better than our Pepsi one a few years ago.

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Jan 1 2005, 09:43 PM [b] Don't know how true it is, but a few months ago people on this board were saying that Duke was talking to us about playing us at the uptown arena. [/b]
Yeah that came form an article writtin by Jaosn Jordan on Ninerreport.com. I think it's just a rumor though, at least this point thats all it is
[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Jan 1 2005, 09:43 PM [b] If they won't come to Halton, I don't want to play them. I would like to see us get a team like Indiana there. [/b]
I agree. The only teams I would even welcome playing there are teams that aren't too good for us.

If the Carolinas and Dukes can’t play at Halton, then I don’t want to seem them Uptown.

[i]Originally posted by C49er[/i]@Jan 2 2005, 12:33 AM [b] If the Carolinas and Dukes can't play at Halton, then I don't want to seem them Uptown. [/b]
What he said. Indiana, Alabama, or maybe a Big XII or Pac 10 team would be great to play up there.

What are they going to call that place anyway? If it must have a corporate sponsor, I nominate the name “Krispy Kreme Center.”

I would add Cincinnati to that list. It may be difficult to get Huggins back into Halton, but he may be willing to play at the Uptown Arena.

I also think a big game in the new arena would give us some new fans that have never seen us play at Halton.

B)

If you get an opportunity to play Duke in the uptown arena, you jump on it. With most of us, myself included, complaining about our weak OOC schedule, you don’t turn down a game like that. They won’t ever play us in Halton so you go where they want to go. With a team like Duke, you just have to let them call the shots if you want to add them to the schedule. I don’t have a problem with that if it involves certain teams. I’d much rather play the Blue Devils uptown than play UNC Asheville, Georgia State, LBS, etc. in Halton.

If top teams won’t come to Halton, the uptown arena is the next best thing. I’d love to see any of the upper half ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Pac 10, Big East in the uptown arena. Big draw, new fans, solid OOC game still in our city.

A Cinci grudge match after a year off would be HUGE. The uptown arena could really help us improve our OOC when in the A-10.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 2 2005, 09:23 AM [b] If you get an opportunity to play Duke in the uptown arena, you jump on it. With most of us, myself included, complaining about our weak OOC schedule, you don't turn down a game like that. They won't ever play us in Halton so you go where they want to go. [/b]
But then it becomes a Duke home game like it does for Davidson every year when those two teams play at the Coliseum every other year. And what's worse, they'd then make us play them at Cameron at least twice.

I could handle a game at the Uptown arena once in a while, but I feel we would get very little out of certain games when their fans would outnumber ours.

[i]Originally posted by C49er[/i]@Jan 2 2005, 10:06 AM [b] I feel we would get very little out of certain games when their fans would outnumber ours. [/b]
100% correct.

I’d love to see a team like Cincinnati be in the NEW coliseum vs. Charlotte. Outside of them, any top 20 (RPI wise) team that does not have a strong North Carolina connection would be more than acceptable.

Also, no more than 1 game per season in the new Coliseum…unless it was some sort of holiday tournament.

If we played Cincinnati in the new arena we would have it half full. You would need an ACC opponent to fill it up. Anyone else would be worthless.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Jan 2 2005, 10:03 AM [b] But then it becomes a Duke home game like it does for Davidson every year when those two teams play at the Coliseum every other year. And what's worse, they'd then make us play them at Cameron at least twice. [/b]
Pessimists. Duke v Davidson official attendance was 8,793, with roughly two thousand of those fans being Davidson fans. At worst we’d get to assign at least half the tickets to our fans, no matter who we played.

I’d be happy to take a home at home with any ACC team from NC with our game at the Uptown Arena.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Jan 2 2005, 10:03 AM [b] But then it becomes a Duke home game like it does for Davidson every year when those two teams play at the Coliseum every other year. And what's worse, they'd then make us play them at Cameron at least twice. [/b]
I have no problem with that. Look, I'm as proud as anyone when it comes to how far our program has come in recent years. But at the same time, we're nowhere close to being on the same level with Duke, when you compare resumes. I will gladly do a 2-for-1 with Duke with our one game being uptown. Give me 3 games in three 3 years against one of the most prestigious programs in the country any day over these pathetic teams we're playing right now. Now I wouldn't agree to those terms with just any team or any ACC school but I feel like Duke is one I would do that for. And I'd be very suprised if Bobby/Judy wouldn't go for either if offered.

I’m just sick of not having a chance to play the big boys and I’m willing to agree to their terms when it comes to getting teams like Duke, UK, UCONN, etc. on our schedule. Beggers can’t be choosers or you end up with a SOS like we currently have.

I’d take a 2-for-1 with Duke. But I’d want them in Halton. I just can’t condone playing a home game in the uptown arena with 12K blue shirts in the stands.

Worst case scenario we take a 1 for 1 with our game being at the Downtown Arena. We can go 2 for 1 if our game is at Halton.

And what many of us need to realize is our OOC though below par compared to previous years, will not be as bad as we think. Many of the teams will be in the top of their respective conferences. But I do think anything less than a repeat 12-4 conference record could have us sweating on Selection Sunday.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF+Jan 2 2005, 12:36 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (UNCCTF @ Jan 2 2005, 12:36 AM)

What is the deal with our agreement with Indiana. Did we give them a 3 for 1 or do we have any games with them left.

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Jan 2 2005, 06:56 PM [b] What is the deal with our agreement with Indiana. Did we give them a 3 for 1 or do we have any games with them left. [/b]
I think this was the start of a new contract with Indy.