OT: Peters leaves Cincy for Ohio State

Looks like the Bearcats’ associate head coach (and current interim head coach during the suspension of Bob Huggins) may be leaving to join Thad Matta’s staff at Ohio State.

Peters could be leaving UC

Also piece about UC player Mike Pilgrim, who sat out last year due to injury and academic questions.

Journey has made Pilgrim stronger

And they get no other than Oscar Robertson (The Big ‘O’) to be the temporary head coach.

And no, young men, Billy Owens is not the Big ‘O’ despite what Dick Vitale says.

[i]Originally posted by NinerUpNorth[/i]@Jul 21 2004, 06:49 AM [b] And they get no other than Oscar Robertson (The Big 'O') to be the temporary head coach.

And no, young men, Billy Owens is not the Big ‘O’ despite what Dick Vitale says. [/b]

The NCAA is about to pass a rule banning “celebrity” visits with recruits. This way the recruits get to hang out with the coach, who happens to be the Big O. Apparently, he’s not allowed to visit the recruits but they can certainly sit down with him on campus.

Cincinnati.com:

‘Big O’ is UC’s caretaker coach

Another blow for Bearcats

CincyPost.com:

The return of the ‘Big O’

Peters leaves for OSU

UCBearcats.com:

UC Names Oscar Interim Cage Coach

ESPN.com:

Hall of Famer will serve until Huggins returns

Daily Word from Andy Katz:

[b]Peters’ exit puts Bearcats in a bind

Tuesday, July 20: Dan Peters’ decision to leave Cincinnati as associate head coach for the same position at Ohio State was a stunning move. Peters is one of Bob Huggins’ closest friends and has acted as the interim coach during Huggins’ suspension from his DUI in June. Peters also was the interim coach after Huggins suffered a heart attack nearly two years ago. The decision to leave for the Buckeyes and Thad Matta is perplexing because Peters is a necessary bridge between Huggins and the administration. His departure while Huggins is suspended (he’s set to return Aug. 27) leaves another hole on the Bearcats’ staff. Assistant Andy Kennedy will remain on the road; Oscar Robertson was named interim coach. The only other assistant, Keith LeGree, also will be on the road recruiting. Peters was on the road earlier this month for Cincinnati, but his most important role was ensuring the players were academically eligible. Keeping track of the Bearcats over the summer is another responsibility that Kennedy and LeGree will take on until Huggins returns.[/b]

Link: ESPN.com

FoxSports.com (Sporting News):

Robertson named Bearcats’ interim coach

SI.com:
Robertson named interim coach at Cincinnati

Cincy’s Peters joins Matta’s staff at Ohio State

BTW, Lefty, I believe what the NCAA means by “celebrity” visits is when the recruit is treated as celebrity, not that he/she is meeting celebrities. As such, no more private plane rides, personalized jerseys, posh hotels and meals, etc.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Jul 21 2004, 11:45 AM [b] BTW, Lefty, I believe what the NCAA means by "celebrity" visits is when the recruit is treated as celebrity, not that he/she is meeting celebrities. As such, no more private plane rides, personalized jerseys, posh hotels and meals, etc. [/b]
Oops. I guess I combined the two. No more celebrities either. :wink:

Finally had a chance to read through all the stories on the Cincy situation and caught this gem from Oscar Robertson on Robert Whaley:

[b]But Robertson wasted no time expressing his opinion about UC center Robert Whaley, who’s academically ineligible to play next season.

“You’ve got a guy who will not go to class, won’t hustle hard,” Robertson said. “Get rid of him. I think time is too short. I think you should try to save everybody that you can, but some guys you cannot save.”[/b]

That nice, Big O, but how do you really feel about Mr. Whaley?! :lmao:

i have always thought whaley did a good job of upholding the image of cincy bball…hey i didnt say it was a good image he was upholding

Good piece on Robertson in today’s Cincy Enquirer:

‘Big O’: Adversity can strengthen UC

I like the fact that the Big O is willing to speak his mind about Cincy hoops.

[b]"…The key to winning in the college ranks is to be able to recruit great kids, the four-year kid. I don’t think Cincinnati has done a great job in the past of getting four-year players to come to the university."

“Any basketball player who comes to the University of Cincinnati should know who Oscar Robertson is,” Robertson said. “If he doesn’t, he shouldn’t be on the team.”[/b]

And a not so good piece by Gregg Doyel:

Big O called on to be temporary superhero