OT: Space Shuttle

For you science junkies, live NASA video feed on Windows Media of the shuttle. Launch is scheduled for 10:39 am.

For those of you using Real Player, use this for the live NASA video feed.

Cool… thanks for the link HP…

4 minutes to launch

Aaaaaaaaand they’re off! Godspeed the crew of Discovery.

HP, thanks!!!

It was awesome. I was nervous as hell. I’ve seen almost every US manned space flight launch on TV since Alan Shepard and this one was nervewracking. The first one after Challenger was too. It’s hard to believe that at one time people were saying the launches were old-hat and boring, but success breeds that, I guess. Ironically, tradgedy breeds excitement and a hightened sense of adventure. I’m glad and proud that there’s folks brave enough to take on these jobs and others, like law enforcement and the military. And oh yeah, marriage and parenthood. :lol:

why was this launch so nerve racking?

[i]Originally posted by dax[/i]@Jul 26 2005, 03:17 PM [b] why was this launch so nerve racking? [/b]
Because no one wants to have another seven memorial services next month.

Screw a live feed, I watched it live…by stepping outside. :wink:

Suckerzzzzz… :smiley:

Get home safe Discovery.

[i]Originally posted by Florida49er[/i]@Jul 26 2005, 06:46 PM [b] Screw a live feed, I watched it live...by stepping outside. ;)

Suckerzzzzz… :smiley:

Get home safe Discovery. [/b]

Way to rub it in. I’ve always wanted to see a live launch. The sound alone must be amazing not to even mention the visual. Here’s hoping they return safely.

[i]Originally posted by VA49er[/i]@Jul 26 2005, 06:01 PM [b] Way to rub it in. I've always wanted to see a live launch. The sound alone must be amazing not to even mention the visual. Here's hoping they return safely. [/b]
Ditto! I hope this isn't bad news...
[b]A 1 1/2-inch-wide bit of tile captured on camera appeared to fly off the shuttle's belly, on the edge of a door that encloses the nose landing gear. It was not clear if the tile had been struck by anything. Pieces of tile, which protect the shuttle from searing heat on return to Earth, have been lost on past flights without preventing a safe homecoming.

“We’re going frame-by-frame through the imagery,” said John Shannon, a NASA operations manager.

Also, NASA video revealed what appeared to be a sizable piece of material — maybe a chunk of insulation — coming off the shuttle’s external fuel tank two minutes into flight. It did not strike the orbiter that carries the seven astronauts, the NASA manager said. Other agency footage showed covers flying off Discovery’s thrusters — something expected to happen.[/b]

In this image released by NASA TV, what appears to be a sizable piece of material is seen coming off the space shuttle Discovery’s external fuel tank after lift off, Tuesday, July 26, 2005. According to NASA, it did not seem to strike the orbiter that carries the seven-member crew. (AP Photo/NASA TV)

[i]Originally posted by HP49er+Jul 26 2005, 10:18 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (HP49er @ Jul 26 2005, 10:18 PM)

Im I the only one that hates the space program and sees it as a gigantic waste of money? Who cares what kind of dirt is on Mars? There are more important things to invest in. Just send unmanned spacecraft to put satellites in orbit and cut out all this space station research.