OT: This guy wasn't good enough for Calipari

I remember reading about this player going to Memphis as a package deal with Kendrick Perkins. Calipari backed off when Perkins went straight to the NBA.

From Dustin Dow’s blog at the Cincy Enquirer:

I don't often delve too deeply into religion in covering my college hoops coverage, but it was an easy subject to bring up in today's Enq story on BYU's star player, Keena Young. His mother, Lavella, was startled to find out BYU was a Mormon school because they're Baptist, and she wasn't sure about sending her son to play for Mormons.

But she did, and now Young is one of the most difficult matchups in the country. At 6-6, he reminds opposing coaches of former Texas player P.J. Tucker, someone who easily plays taller than he actually is down low and has reliable range away from the basket. Is he a guard? forward? Technically, he’s a big man, and he’s very good at establishing low-post position. Expect Xavier to guard him with some combination of Justin Doellman and Justin Cage, keeping help defenders close by.

Cincinnati.com: Baptist Young stars at Mormon school

I think Memphis is pretty set. Douglas-Roberts, Mack, Kemp, Anderson in the back court and Dorsey, Dozier holding down the middle. Not to say this kid could not play for UM, but Coach Cal has got some horses.

The PG Rose from Chicago coming next year will keep UM on top of the difficult CUSA.

Yeah, UM is so set that they had to bring back a guy who had been dismissed from the team, “permanently” as I recall. Of course, that word means something different to Cal than the definition provided in Webster’s! :rolleyes:

More on the “permanent” dismissal of Jeremy Hunt…

Hunt’s return to Tigers enough to make fans cynical

Through ups and downs, mom stood by Tigers’ Hunt

So it was a little domestic disturbance charge, who of us hasn’t had one of those. At least the kid ended up graduating and completing his probation.

I think the Young kid is more to blame for being from a devote Southern Baptist family compromising his faith and going to BYU. Nothing like selling your sole to the great-grandfather of 2-time Super Bowl MVP and current ESPN football analyst Steve Young.

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;224622]So it was a little domestic disturbance charge, who of us hasn’t had one of those. At least the kid ended up graduating and completing his probation.[/QUOTE]
Well, I, for one, have never beat up on a girlfriend, my wife, any of my daughters, etc. So don’ t include me in that kind of activity with you and Mr. Hunt.

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;224622] At least the kid ended up [COLOR=Red]graduating[/COLOR] and completing his [COLOR=red]probation[/COLOR].
[/QUOTE]

Those two typically don’t go together for a reason.

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;224622]
I think the Young kid is more to blame for being from a devote Southern Baptist family compromising his faith and going to BYU. Nothing like selling your sole to the great-grandfather of 2-time Super Bowl MVP and current ESPN football analyst Steve Young. [/QUOTE]

Where in that article did it say that Young converted to the Mormon faith? There are Muslims at many Christian schools, and many non-Christians at Christian schools. Baptists go to Methodist schools and vice versa. Just because a university is affiliated with a specific religion, or sector thereof, does not mean ALL of the students are.

[QUOTE]Things got weird in the spring of 2003 when Young’s high school classmate Kendrick Perkins declared for the NBA draft.

Young and Perkins were both signed to go to Memphis and play for John Calipari, but Perkins’ NBA pursuit changed everything.

Memphis coaches flew to Beaumont to meet with the Young family two weeks later.

“They told him he could be on the team,” Lavella Young said, “but that he wouldn’t play.”
[/QUOTE]

Classy move from a classy coach. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]With Texas Tech so close by, coach Bob Knight got a good look at Young that season and liked what he saw. Young liked Texas Tech and orally committed to the Red Raiders in the spring of 2004.

“That night, Bobby Knight calls the house and tells us how glad he is that Keena chose Texas Tech,” Lavella Young said. “The next day, he calls back and says Keena is going to have to prove himself and pay his own way for a year.”
[/QUOTE]

Another classy move from a classier coach. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;224608]
The PG Rose from Chicago coming next year will keep UM on top of the difficult CUSA.[/QUOTE]

Difficult CUSA, you gotta be kidding.

[QUOTE=jayhawkwannabe;224622]I think the Young kid is more to blame for being from a devote Southern Baptist family compromising his faith and going to BYU. Nothing like selling your sole to the great-grandfather of 2-time Super Bowl MVP and current ESPN football analyst Steve Young.[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I was so taken with your flippant comment about domestic violence that I didn’t even see this one at first. There’s nothing in the piece that said he compromised his faith or sold his soul (I believe that’s the word you actually meant to use) to Brigham Young. I didn’t realize that this thread would be anymore than a “feel good” story about a legit D-I player who got “shafted” first by Cal and then by the General.

And we saw how difficult C-USA was this season for Memphis.

Guys I was joking about the whole “sell your soul” comment. If I were a high DI recruit and given that I am a practicing Christian, I would have a hard time going to BYU even if they were paying me.

As mentioned before, if you were a Muslim why would you want to go to Liberty or St. John’s? Mearly an observation being that the article focused on his family’s invovlment in the Southern Baptist Church. Seems hypocritical to go to a religious based school, BYU, that is in direct conflict with your religion.

Also, I guess you did not pick up on my sarcastic statement “The tough CUSA”. Where do you think Memphis’ talent would land them in say the A10 or even the ACC?