OT - UNCC to buy site for classes uptown

From the Observer. Looks like we’ll finally have our own place uptown.

UNCC to buy site for classes uptown

From CLT Business Journal.

UNCC plans $30M uptown campus

UNCC plans $30M uptown campus
J. Lee Howard
Senior Staff Writer

UNC Charlotte hopes to announce soon plans for a $30 million uptown Charlotte campus, possibly on land in First Ward owned by Levine Properties.

UNC Charlotte officials want a 100,000-square-foot classroom and administration building serving as many as 7,500 students.

Funds for the project are part of the school’s latest budget request to the state legislature.

UNC Charlotte is reluctant to speculate on a location, start date and other details.

However, more information should be forthcoming in about a month, says UNC Charlotte spokesman Tony Hoppa.

Hoppa says the school prefers a site close to Trade and Tryon streets.

He declines to discuss the prospects of building the uptown campus on Levine property a few blocks north of The Square. Company President Daniel Levine could not be reached.

The Levine family controls more than 20 acres in First Ward. It has long been considered a likely site for a mixed-use development, but the project has stalled for lack of significant anchor tenants.

Uptown real estate observers, however, say the UNC Charlotte proposal would be just what Levine needs to jumpstart the area’s redevelopment.

The uptown campus would replace a 15,000-square-foot UNC Charlotte branch housed in the Mint Museum of Craft + Design, Hoppa says. The site serves about 650 students.

The expanded campus would be home to a variety of UNC Charlotte course offerings, including urban planning, social services and cultural arts.

There goes football :lol:

Excellent idea, if we can get Charlotte interested in UNC Charlotte we’d have more people in Halton and more money for football and for Big East membership :slight_smile:

[b]Wake Forest's prestigious Babcock School of Management[/b]

Bunch of crock.

Thats kickass. Uptown is the place to be not to mention where I live. Hopefully the area and facilities is top notch. That will def draw some more bankers to our MBA program, among others. I cant wait to see it.

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Mar 29 2005, 01:11 PM [b] Thats kickass. Uptown is the place to be not to mention where I live. Hopefully the area and facilities is top notch. That will def draw some more bankers to our MBA program, among others. I cant wait to see it. [/b]
The MBA program has been uptown for years in the Mint Museum. Hopefully, this will shine a brighter light on the school by actually having a campus downtown.
[b]The MBA program has been uptown for years in the Mint Museum.[/b]

Yeah, I know, I had some classes there while I was en route to my MS in Econ. Its hardly noticeable though, and this new building will def increase our visibility. Drinking at the bars after class was always such an added bonus :lol:

clt thinks we should move the whole damn school uptown.

At least one of the campus sites will get a new sign.

[i]Originally posted by Savio[/i]@Mar 29 2005, 11:56 AM [b] There goes football :lol: [/b]
True that!!!!!!!!

Is there anything the Levine’s DON"T own!!!

This would be a hell of a walk from Oak Hall.

As someone who works up/downtown and who’s wife went through the UNCC MBA program, this is great news. Plus, it will add to up/downtown Charlotte’s cultural revival. UNCC should play a game or two in the new arena to generate broader interest among the community…something like what St. John’s does at MSG.

[i]Originally posted by NCFlyer[/i]@Mar 30 2005, 02:19 PM [b] ....The 49ers should play a game or two in the new arena to generate broader interest among the community...something like what St. John's does at MSG. [/b]
I am in complete agreement with this, especially if it is a major opponent. It could rapidly add to our fanbase.

DITTO…that would be very cool!!!

Not sure of the timeline on this. The funding to build it has to be passed by State Legislature but I’m sure we’ll have the business leaders behind us on this one. It’s a BIG deal and a great move by Chancellor Woodward.

Note: There are maps and drawings in the printed version.

Observer: UNCC uptown site announced 5/19/05

UNC Charlotte’s announcement Monday of a new uptown building has helped kick-start a $1 billion urban village in First Ward.

Chancellor Jim Woodward confirmed the school’s purchase of land at Brevard and Ninth streets for a 100,000-square-foot classroom and office building that will greatly enhance UNCC’s presence in the center city.

The parcel is part of 30 acres that developer Daniel Levine, hopes to turn into the signature neighborhood of the city.

It also says: UNCC rents 13,000 square feet in the Mint Museum of Craft and Design. It teaches 68 classes to almost 1,400 students there.

I didn’t realize that many people were already taking classes downtown.