OT: Why Non-BCS schools don't land Top 100 kids

This will come as a SHOCK.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9632023

We should send this to Judy & Phil.

We have NASCAR! :lmao:

I thought this was an [COLOR=Green]Interesting Reply[/COLOR] to this article:

I have seen basketball recruits come to Bloomington for a football game. Afterwards, they almost all said they wanted to go to a school like IU because the crowd is [B]basketball [/B]crazy even during football season. The Hoosiers wind up signing most of the players who visit the [I][SIZE=3]apathetic football crowds[/SIZE][/I].

Why did you choose not to look at this side?

This will come as a SHOCK.

I for one am shocked. I had no clue that recruits, whether basketball talented or academically gifted, would want to see the school’s pride in its school and having a good time. I thought that recruits would be more inclined to see light rail, or maybe even an uptown building. I seriously thought that they would want to see the research campus only 40 minutes away.

WOW. just plain wow.

okay going back to watch Michigan / Vanderbilt

One of the requirements for where I went to grad school after Charlotte was:

Do they have a football team?

Answer - yes…

Okay… next question.

If we just kick a** in bball, it wouldn’t matter. Doesn’t seem to have mattered to Gonzaga. Its not easy, but we can do it.

If we just kick a** in bball, it wouldn't matter. Doesn't seem to have mattered to Gonzaga. Its not easy, but we can do it.

Gonzaga = Pacific northwest, and they get talent for other countries
Charlotte = Southeast

next argument?

Gonzaga is in a traditionally VERY weak conference (especially before they gave some credence to it a few years back)…I’m not sure why geography makes them different…and to my knowledge we can and have recruited international players.

So, I’m not arguing about anything…but your post doesn’t make sense. Please explain.

to my knowledge we can and have recruited international players.
Malik El Tamir is from another country and we got him right?
Gonzaga is in a traditionally VERY weak conference (especially before they gave some credence to it a few years back)...I'm not sure why geography makes them different...and to my knowledge we can and have recruited international players.

So, I’m not arguing about anything…but your post doesn’t make sense. Please explain.

most of the kids we recruit are from the southeast and midatlantic areas where football is big and going to a school with it is probably somewhat important. in the pacific northwest it really isn’t that big of a deal. Gonzaga also don’t sign that many rivals top 150 guys, mark few is just an incredible coach.

In looking over the Rivals top 150 for 2006, there aren’t many who chose non-BCS schools. I counted 11 players who chose Charlotte (2), Creighton, Gonzaga, Illinois State, Kent, Memphis (3), Rhode Island, and UAB. The rest went to schools in BCS conferences, though not necessarily institutions with football or DI-A football (DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova – all Big East non-football schools – signed at least one top 150 player).

One of the requirements for where I went to grad school after Charlotte was:

Do they have a football team?

Answer - yes…

Okay… next question.

I couldn’t agree more. I have given this school 3 years to say they will get one before deciding where to go to grad school

where did you end up going?

[QUOTE=49or bust;187070]Malik El Tamir is from another country and we got him right?[/QUOTE]

so was martin iti. we got him too.

[QUOTE=ninerID;187059]Gonzaga = Pacific northwest, and they get talent for other countries
Charlotte = Southeast

next argument?[/QUOTE]
Well, I doubt Duke using the Football card very much, even though they are a BCS school.

[QUOTE=hootie;187149]Well, I doubt Duke using the Football card very much, even though they are a BCS school.[/QUOTE]

Ditto for DePaul, Marquette, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Villanova (though VU does play at the I-AA level).

In looking over the Rivals top 150 for 2006, there aren't many who chose non-BCS schools. I counted 11 players who chose Charlotte (2), Creighton, Gonzaga, Illinois State, Kent, Memphis (3), Rhode Island, and UAB. The rest went to schools in BCS conferences, though not necessarily institutions with football or DI-A football (DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova -- all Big East non-football schools -- signed at least one top 150 player).

VillaNoFun has football, don’t they?