PAC10 to offer invites to 6 Big 12 schools

Football is driving expansion, not basketball. Kansas is one of the top 5 or so basketball programs in the country. Yet Nebraska and Colorado got the new league invites.

Is the insider an VT grad, so that it sounds like they had the upper hand? Because I don’t think there’s any way in hell that VT would turn down the SEC.[/quote]

I do not know. With everything that went into getting VT into the ACC (politics, State of Va., etc) I do not see it likely that this will happen. There had to be some behind the closed doors handshake contingencies that VT had to accept before being allowed in.

But hey it is a Bum Rush so you never know.[/quote]

Yeah, I do recall politics playing a role in VT getting into the ACC. But I guess I don’t know enough about state’s legislature to know exactly what they can do to stop a university from going to another conference. I suppose they can’t stop it legally. But they can affect the funding to the school.

Also, wasn’t the politics before because the governor was on the side of VT? If it’s the same people in power, and they think the SEC is better than the ACC, I think they’d be on the side of VT again. More so than on the side of the ACC.

[quote=“Lew, post:263, topic:23382”]Georgia State is nowhere close to being ahead of us. They simply do not have the facilities.

[/quote]

I’m sure Georgia St. can work a deal to play major games at Phillips Arena or share Alexander Memorial with Georgia Tech. Atlanta is a huge TV market and Home to Turner Broadcasting, which could be a future broadcast partner for the Big East.

Possible schools currently ahead of us for joining a new Big East:

1. Kansas
  2. Kansas St.
  3. Villanova Football
  4. Georgetown Football
  5. UCF
  6. Iowa St.
  7. Temple
    8.)Memphis
  8. ECU
    10)Marshall
  9. UMass
  10. Western Kentucky
  11. Middle Tennessee
  12. Georgia St

Football is TV Markets are driving expansion, not basketball. Kansas is one of the top 5 or so basketball programs in the country but has no TV market. Yet Nebraska and Colorado Denver got the new league invites.[/quote]

fixed.

clt says that Virginia polytechnic institute is insane if they actually turned down the sec.

I think Colorado went first to preempt the Texas schools from force feeding Baylor to the Pac 10. Every news account had Colorado OR Baylor. If the Texas schools threw around their weight, the Pac 10 may have caved on Baylor. I seriously doubt Texas really wanted Baylor in the league anymore than Virginia wanted Virginia Tech, but politics can hold sway on these deals. Now, the Pac 10 can’t be forced to add Baylor because with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, they are full. As for Kansas and the others, the Mountain West is their best bet, but Kansas v Wyoming or Boise in a conference basketball game is going to hurt some egos in Lawrence.

I’m sure Georgia St. can work a deal to play major games at Phillips Arena or share Alexander Memorial with Georgia Tech. Atlanta is a huge TV market and Home to Turner Broadcasting, which could be a future broadcast partner for the Big East.

Possible schools currently ahead of us for joining a new Big East:

1. Kansas
  2. Kansas St.
  3. Villanova Football
  4. Georgetown Football
  5. UCF
  6. Iowa St.
  7. Temple
    8.)Memphis
  8. ECU
    10)Marshall
  9. UMass
  10. Western Kentucky
  11. Middle Tennessee
  12. Georgia St[/quote]

If they rebuild into a national conference then some of those stand. But if they rebuild as a true eastern conference:

[ul][li]Nova[/li]
[li]G’Town[/li]
[li]UCF[/li]
[li]Temple[/li]
[li]Memphis[/li]
[li]ECU[/li]
[li]Marshall[/li]
[li]GSU[/li][/ul]
Those are the schools I put ahead of us. Do not underestimate the power of this market for a conference that realizes how untapped it is. Of course Nova and G’town are already in there.

Football is TV Markets are driving expansion, not basketball. Kansas is one of the top 5 or so basketball programs in the country but has no TV market. Yet Nebraska and Colorado Denver got the new league invites.[/quote]

fixed.[/quote]

I’d say that’s partly true. But Missouri, Nebraska, OU, A&M are not stellar TV markets. Definitely not better than Baylor in Dallas. Or the University of Houston.

Totally agree. Same with Nebraska. They knew the PAC10 and the BigTen were not going to dissolve. They didn’t know that about the Big12.

Fred Smith (FedEx Chairman) contacting BCS conferences about Memphis, rumored to be offering up to $10 million a year to get Memphis in

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jun/13/tiger-boosters-make-pitch/

With the Big 10 at 12 teams and the Pac-10 possibly headed for 16 teams, the Big East is believed to be exploring the possibility of adding four schools to become a league of 12 football members and 20 in basketball.

How the hell would this ever work from a scheduling and conference championship standpoint. People have said the BE is too big as it is.

Of course, if that’s where the remainder of the Big 12 migrates, potentially turning the MWC into a 16-team “superconference,” Memphis would have to try to get in that mix

If Mempiss gets in the MWC that will show how screwed up this whole deal has become. It is amazing to me how hard Kansas could get screwed on this deal.

I found this on the Wake Board while checking on other sites about the conference realignment. This is not the first time I have seen this on other boards. It use to piss me off but know it just depresses me.

“And I’m still not sure an ACC network would be less attractive than a Big Ten network. You’d have to have coverage in 4 of the top 27 TV markets (DC, Baltimore, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham) and that doesn’t include Boston (7) or Miami (18).”

I would love to see the day where a team that is not within 2 hours of our campus could not consider us their market. The only problem is I feel the powers that be in Charlotte like this impression. We are all talking about how strong our market is for the future while everyone around us already thinks they have possesion of it and they are probably correct.

For their part, the Jayhawks don’t want to be forced into the Mountain West and want the remaining Big 12 schools to stay together to form what would be a “better basketball conference than the one we were just in,” a source with direct knowledge of Kansas’ situation told ESPN.com’s Andy Katz, referring to Colorado’s and Nebraska’s history of struggles in basketball. The source said losing Colorado and Nebraska enhances the Jayhawks’ basketball program because the remaining 10 schools would better fit the model of an 18-game schedule. Indeed, officials from five schools – Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor – had a conference call on Saturday, the Kansas City Star reported. The schools agreed they would like to continue as members of the Big 12.

Charlotte to the BIG 12!! ;D

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:278, topic:23382”]For their part, the Jayhawks don’t want to be forced into the Mountain West and want the remaining Big 12 schools to stay together to form what would be a “better basketball conference than the one we were just in,” a source with direct knowledge of Kansas’ situation told ESPN.com’s Andy Katz, referring to Colorado’s and Nebraska’s history of struggles in basketball. The source said losing Colorado and Nebraska enhances the Jayhawks’ basketball program because the remaining 10 schools would better fit the model of an 18-game schedule. Indeed, officials from five schools – Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor – had a conference call on Saturday, the Kansas City Star reported. The schools agreed they would like to continue as members of the Big 12.

Charlotte to the BIG 12!! ;D [/quote]
Yes, please.

I mean, we are only Tennessee’s width apart from their footprint. We could be the southern version of the BE.

VA Tech can dominate the ACC and make it to the national championship game. I think it’d be 3x as hard to dominate the SEC. I think they are going with the easy route + VA politics.

i know you are joking, but we get on a plane for everything now, what would be the difference? 30 min in the air?

Biggest benefit, no noon home conference games. it would be 10am in big 12 country.

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:277, topic:23382”]I found this on the Wake Board while checking on other sites about the conference realignment. This is not the first time I have seen this on other boards. It use to piss me off but know it just depresses me.

“And I’m still not sure an ACC network would be less attractive than a Big Ten network. You’d have to have coverage in 4 of the top 27 TV markets (DC, Baltimore, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham) and that doesn’t include Boston (7) or Miami (18).”

I would love to see the day where a team that is not within 2 hours of our campus could not consider us their market. The only problem is I feel the powers that be in Charlotte like this impression. We are all talking about how strong our market is for the future while everyone around us already thinks they have possesion of it and they are probably correct.[/quote]i know some non niners like to detract us by claiming we have a conspiracy theory. but there are many “influential” individuals in and outside of charlotte. who have done everything in their power to assure we do not have the local fan support to be a threat to “their” tv market.

and bring on the big 12. we’ll kick kansas’ butt and iowas state’s too.

Memphis trying to buy their way into a BCS conference?

I can’t say I don’t wish we could do the same.

Have the Big 12 pick us and one other not quite up to speed FB school that is moving in that direction. Have them then pick up 5 FB ready schools right now from CUSA and the BE which gives them the 10 team schedule they want for now with ready made expansion in the next 10 years. When we and the other school are up to speed in FB it gives them 12 teams and a championship game format that will be perfect as the 16 team conferences implode about the same time under their own weight and in fighting. I will let you guys pick the teams with Mempiss at the top of the list. Hey it makes perfect sense to me…QUE 49 Footballnow in 5…4…3…2…1…