Panthers interested in Vilma

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1204177032113690.xml&coll=1

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1204177032113690.xml&coll=1[/URL]

Not sure the Panthers would be all that interested in Vilma since Beason has been perfect at MLB. Maybe this would be a three way deal where Carolina gets some picks out of this.

WHY?

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;300027]http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1204177032113690.xml&coll=1[/QUOTE]

That I don’t get. Beason is a stud, clearly the best player on the side of the ball last season. Vilma plays the middle, Davis(1st Rd Pick) and Diggs (just got a new deal) would appear to be set as the LB corps. Where woudl he fit? If Jenkins is traded, which appears to be a foregone conclusion, they need draft picks.

Not sure the Panthers would be all that interested in Vilma since Beason has been perfect at MLB. Maybe this would be a three way deal where Carolina gets some picks out of this.

Yeah, it really doesn’t make much sense to me unless they want to move Beason outside, which I don’t think is a great move. If they trade Jenkins then they need to get a 1st round pick for him. He was the best d-lineman we had last season.

• Vilma and Robertson also have been linked to the Panthers in trade talks. Early yesterday, I heard the Panthers had targeted Robertson as a replacement for DT Kris Jenkins, who is being shopped, but after a few phone calls, I was told the Panthers were lukewarm on Robertson because of his contract. Now I read that the Panthers really like Vilma. Makes sense, considering they need a replacement for the recently-released Dan Morgan.

• Rich Cimini’s Blog - NY Daily News

I think we should have interest in Vilma. If he’s acquired, I think that would give us one of the stronger LB corps in the the NFL

[QUOTE=moss2k;300056]I think we should have interest in Vilma. If he’s acquired, I think that would give us one of the stronger LB corps in the the NFL[/QUOTE]

He plays inside

Beason > Vilma.
This teamhas too many holes to be worrying about creating quality depth.

[QUOTE=s9er;300062]He plays inside

Beason > Vilma.
This teamhas too many holes to be worrying about creating quality depth.[/QUOTE]

I think the Panthers may want to move Beason back to the strong side.

If this is even a consideration by the Panthers (who really knows), I think the point would be to move Beason outside to utilize his speed in stopping RBs who bounce it outside and dink and duck passing Os.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;300067]I think the Panthers may want to move Beason back to the strong side.[/QUOTE]

That would mean they have given up on Thomas Davis, I don’t think they gave Diggs that deal to sit on the bench.

That would mean they have given up on Thomas Davis, I don't think they gave Diggs that deal to sit on the bench.

Thomas Davis is a pretty decent player, but the reason that they drafted him (to stop Michael Vick) is no longer a concern. I think Davis would still be a starter with Beason playing the weakside. Diggs is good for depth, but if we trade Jenks, I’d prefer a first round draft pick.

You guys are crazy if you wouldn’t take Vilma. Vilma is one of the best quality LBs in the league. Beason can move to outside and Vilma to mid. That combination of speed and power will destroy running games of opposing teams. You guys should be excited about these talks.

[QUOTE=s9er;300071]That would mean they have given up on Thomas Davis, I don’t think they gave Diggs that deal to sit on the bench.[/QUOTE]

Diggs was insurance because of the many needs this club has and the fact we only had 2 starters under contract. I have no problem with him sitting if we can put 3 guys on the field better than him. Diggs also has some injury history and lets be honest, he is already the lesser of our starting 3. Also, Diggs is familiar with all 3 slots I believe so he can sub in or take the place of an injured player. probably good to have 4 quality LBers than 3 due to rigors of the position. Seward has proven to be injury prone and the guy from VT has not really stepped up.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;300073]Thomas Davis is a pretty decent player, but the reason that they drafted him (to stop Michael Vick) is no longer a concern. I think Davis would still be a starter with Beason playing the weakside. Diggs is good for depth, but if we trade Jenks, I’d prefer a first round draft pick.[/QUOTE]

No way any team is giving up a 1st round pick for an unhappy DT who has already played 8 years in the NFL.

The Panthers would be lucky to obtain a 3rd rounder for him, that is why a player might be a better way to go.

what are the chances the Panthers move Thomas Davis back to Safety? I know that he hasn’t played there ina few years, but he was a safety at Georgia.

I think a LB corp of Beason, Vilma and Davis would be pretty stout

You guys are crazy if you wouldn't take Vilma. Vilma is one of the best quality LBs in the league. Beason can move to outside and Vilma to mid. That combination of speed and power will destroy running games of opposing teams. You guys should be excited about these talks.

Not saying I would not take him, but there are way too many holes outside of LB. Trading Jenkins (which creates a hole at DT) for a LB to add to a respectable LB core makes no sense. Now if we were getting a Safety tandem or filling a glaring need.

I don’t understand the thinking that the team needs to fill Morgan’s position. The team could let him go because of Beason.

Not saying I would not take him, but there are way too many holes outside of LB. Trading Jenkins (which creates a hole at DT) for a LB to add to a respectable LB core makes no sense. Now if we were getting a Safety tandem or filling a glaring need.

I don’t understand the thinking that the team needs to fill Morgan’s position. The team could let him go because of Beason.

Yeah, it’s just because Beason flew under the national radar last year, so only the people outside of the area think we need a replacement for Morgan.

I love this quote :

“At the NFL Combine in Indianapolis last week, the Jets told anyone who would listen that Vilma is available and gave the fourth-year pro permission to seek a deal with any team except the Patriots.”