Panthers leaving Charlotte?

An article in the Charlotte Business Journal discusses LA’s desire for one or two NFL teams to fill the downtown stadium they plan to build. Since the NFL is not discussing expansion LA will have to look to relocation and the Panthers are on the list.

If they moved I do not believe that the 49ers would replace the Panthers for most fans in town, but we might pick up some of our alumni that already have NFL tickets and are not buying FSLs because of that commitment.

The City Council has already indicated their willingness to bend over to keep the team here so it probably is a moot point but it does make me wonder how it would effect us.

http://tinyurl.com/aejvbz6

Jacksonville.

The fact that the Panthers own their stadium make it much less likely that they go anywhere. The only thing that concerns me is what the Big Cat’s plans are. He sidelined both his sons.

Agree with all 3 posts.

Charlotte Council bending over to help pay for renovations + Panthers owning the stadium + overall lousiness that is the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise = Panthers will stay in Charlotte. Richardson also has a short ride to his alma mater for training camp now as well as just putting his name on the field at Charlotte.

Add all that together and I don’t see the Panthers leaving any time soon.

The Panthers PSL holders would drop lawsuits for years.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:3, topic:27075”]The fact that the Panthers own their stadium make it much less likely that they go anywhere. The only thing that concerns me is what the Big Cat’s plans are. He sidelined both his sons.[/quote]He fired them, but they’re still owners.

The Panthers won’t leave and if they did, I wouldn’t take any comfort in the fact it might help our program. I would be devastated if we lost the Panthers and no level of success that we could realistically attain would make up for it.

That said, I don’t think it’ll ever happen.

The Panthers have one of the largest markets the NFL. The Charlotte market is not huge in itself, but our games are distributed throughout 90% of both of the Carolina’s. All those houses added up makes for the 6th biggest distribution network in the NFL.

Jacksonville, the Bills, or new teams are all way more likely.

Being a PSL owner, I sure as hell would but I see this as .01% chance of happening.

Yeah, no.

Being a PSL owner, I sure as hell would but I see this as .01% chance of happening.[/quote]

what would be the legality issue on this? Was there something stated when you bought the PSL? I understand you own a seat but is there anything stated about length of time? Or can you sue if they moved the Panthers anytime?

Other teams with PSL owners have moved correct? What happened with them? Repaid PSL money?

Out here in LA, they’ve been talking about the Chargers moving up here. Everyone else that has been discussed is committed elsewhere, except for the Rams. Jacksonville’s owner is tied to Jax and London. If they move, it’s to London. The Bills were never seriously discussed for anywhere but Toronto. Minnesota re-upped for a new stadium.

Unless the Chargers get a new stadium very soon, they’re first in line. After that, the Rams are the hottest prospect, with an LA-based ownership group (I believe) that just tried to buy the Dodgers as well.

Panthers aren’t even on the radar. Not sure why that even came up.

Sensationalist journalism at it’s finest. Writer at Charlotte Business Journal basically creating a story where there wasn’t one.

clt would prefer to trade the bobcats for a mls or MLB team.

x2

Word is that Charlotte is a target for the next MLS expansion. There is enough remaining entertainment dollars in the Charlotte region for MLS, but not MLB. Baseball is a money vacuum because of the number of games.

Word is that Charlotte is a target for the next MLS expansion. There is enough remaining entertainment dollars in the Charlotte region for MLS, but not MLB. Baseball is a money vacuum because of the number of games.[/quote]

Would love to see an MLS team in charlotte, have no desire to see mlb any time soon. Until they fix their economics a team would have no chance in succeeding.

Word is that Charlotte is a target for the next MLS expansion. There is enough remaining entertainment dollars in the Charlotte region for MLS, but not MLB. Baseball is a money vacuum because of the number of games.[/quote]

Would love to see an MLS team in charlotte, have no desire to see mlb any time soon. Until they fix their economics a team would have no chance in succeeding.[/quote]

clt says the economics of MLB have never been better. Massive tv revenue generated by regional tv networks.

Well, if city council doesn’t get their shit together up here… and soon… DC United will be on their way out the door. Probably to Baltimore, but there could be a play there…

Would love to see an MLS team in charlotte, have no desire to see mlb any time soon. Until they fix their economics a team would have no chance in succeeding.[/quote]

clt says the economics of MLB have never been better. Massive tv revenue generated by regional tv networks.[/quote]

Never been better shouldn’t be confused with good. The economic model with our market size is pretty much a promise that we would have a losing club, with no cap and floor like NBA and NFL promoting parity we would suck.

Wouldn’t be pretty funny if the Rams moved back to LA?

The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA and then back to Oakland. Nobody in LA seemed to notice.

LA has two NBA teams, two MLB teams and two NHL teams. How have they not had an NFL team since 1994?

I’d be ok with the Panthers leaving after what I paid to see in person yesterday.