Perpetual Bobby Lutz debate

Seems like we have tried about everything else with MBB. Perhaps we should consider bringing back Lutz in an effort to bring back men’s basketball.

1 Like

Would Lutz ever consider coming back? If so, why?

Of course. Not only would Lutz come back, he would win here.

I have zero concerns about him being able to coach here again - zero. What kind of recruiting do you guys think he can realistically lead given the challenges and dislike for that that last time around, compounded with him being out of the game for so long.

That’s is my biggest concern with Bobby and given all the new dynamics with landing talent it seems even a bigger challenging than it was. I’d argue it was recruiting that gave the excuse to fire him and while he’s been gone, all it’s done is get even harder. Plus his success was so long ago no kids will care that he had limited success here last time. It isn’t like he can flash a elite 8 or final 4 appearance as a way to get into a kids head.

1 Like

“Out of the game for so long”. :slight_smile: He has only been “out of the game” for a couple years now. Not being a HC does NOT mean he has been “out of the game”.

2016 at state would be the last time he was likely doing any active recruiting - that’s 8 years ago, 2 complete classes ago and with the way college athletics is changing that might as well be 20 years ago. Recruiting now is drastically different than it was just 4 years ago.

He has been on basketball staffs including Ole Miss (AD for Basketball) less than 2 years ago. Do you think Bobby is so stupid that he is that “out of touch” with how things are done now? Yeah, Bobby couldn’t figure out recruiting----its basically brain surgery.

Let’s see. Name some decent players that Bobby recruited to Charlotte if he’s so great…

He struggled with it his last 5 years here or so, he stated he didn’t like it and in that time all it’s done is get harder and dumber.

A coach is out of recruiting for a year or two and it impacts their ability to recruit. And yeah I dot. Think as a special assit or assoc AD he is worried about recruiting contacts in fact I’d say it might be his perfect job. He gets to do what he likes - which isn’t recruiting.

At minimum he would have to find his new Rob Moxley.

I’m not anti Bobby I just think some of you aren’t being realistic about the challenges he would face in addition to how different the job is now than it was last time he was here.

1 Like

For the record----I didn’t bring up Bobby on here, but my point is whether recruiting is a strength of his or not, I can guarantee you one thing, he would work his butt off at it, if for no other reason than he would likely appreciate the opportunity more than ever. Also, its not like anyone here since Bobby has really been great at recruiting (Major was probably the best, but certainly not great) so it clearly hasn’t been a prerequisite to getting the job here-----at least so far.

comedy central GIF by Drunk History

1 Like

That’s part of my point. We brought in two coaches who were connected from top programs with current contacts. Major was decent Ron was bad. That was with guys plugged into the best. Ron admitted that was part of the reason he stepped down, the challenge in recruiting and roster management.

I have no doubt Bobby would want to do well. It’s his alma mater and likely his last dance as a coach, but the challenges are real. If we bring him back he needs a real plan to answer recruiting. He relied heavily on Moxley last time - clearly he would need a new version of him.

All true-----but who else is coming here at this point that has great recruiting connections at the level we need now? It would take a “Biff type” guy (ie; with connections to high level recruits). Bobby is a likeable and respected veteran at this point among college coaches (I’m confident of that). He has now worked with a lot of P5 guys over the last 13 years. I suspect he has more connections than we know and certainly knows more people than he did when he was here before.

1 Like

The other part of the equation is IF he fails, and that’s a reality we have to play out in our minds, do we want to fire our all time winningest coach… again? You never hire someone you are afraid of firing.

Honestly a big part of my reluctance in bringing him back is that scenario.

2 Likes

Gregg Marshall

1 Like

Yes he would. He bleeds green. He has a competitive spirit which would ignite back at Charlotte.

That’s the point, he didn’t get the high profile players and still beat top 10 ranked teams, Cinn (several times) UMass and consistently made the NCAA tourney. IMHO, recruiting is more about the Asst’s and their relationships with the AAU coaches. He had great assistants. Remember he did bring in Rodney White (#9 nba) and was one of the early one’s in the “one and done” and would have had Michael Beasley until something underhanded by K State. He was early to take advantage of the 3pt line. Would he work in today’s game? Hell, at this point what do we have to lose.

1 Like

Why is this a thing and why am i getting alerts for it. It’s football season.

2 Likes