PG to build a team around

With the NBA draft coming up, and Rondo’s improved play, I’m curious what people think. Plus, I partly stole the idea from Dan Patrick radio. :smiley:

R-O-N-D-O. Great passer and best rebounding PG since J Kidd. Oh yea, and I hear he’s not that bad on D either.

People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Where was Rondo in the 4th quarter of Game 7?

Deron Williams is the best PG in the NBA right now with Rose having the ability to take that over. I left out Paul due to his injury last season, but if he gets back to 100% and his form a couple seasons ago he is the #1 guy to build your team around. (I left out Nash due to his age.)

When Rondo performs at the highest level as his team’s #1 option, then he can join the conversation.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Deron Williams is the best PG in the NBA right now with Rose having the ability to take that over. I left out Paul due to his injury last season, but if he gets back to 100% and his form a couple seasons ago he is the #1 guy to build your team around. (I left out Nash due to his age.)

When Rondo performs at the highest level as his team’s #1 option, then he can join the conversation.[/quote]

THANK YOU!

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

When Rondo performs at the highest level as his team’s #1 option, then he can join the conversation.[/quote]

Virtually every team in the NBA has a solid PG. Except for, well, the Bobcats. The league has really become PG strong. You also didn’t include Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Devon Harris, Steph Curry, Jason Kidd, Tyreke Evans, Andre Miller, Russell Westbrook, Brandon Jennings.

Anyway, just did this poll because of the UK and Calipari ties. I think Williams is the best in the league too.

CP3 hands down

Carlos Williams

Yea, lets jump on the Wall bandwagon since he’s winning championships.

[quote=“Normmm, post:5, topic:23484”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Virtually every team in the NBA has a solid PG. Except for, well, the Bobcats.[/quote]

Come on man, lets not go over board, I can think of two teams right off the bat that have worse PG play than the Bobcats, the knicks and the sixers. If I really tried hard I probably could find more. Sure Raymond isn’t great, but he isn’t the worst starting PG in the nba either.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:8, topic:23484”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Yea, lets jump on the Wall bandwagon since he’s winning championships.[/quote]

Where did I say anything about John Wall???

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:10, topic:23484”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:8, topic:23484”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Yea, lets jump on the Wall bandwagon since he’s winning championships.[/quote]

Where did I say anything about John Wall???[/quote]

LOL. No you did not mention John Wall. I have no idea where Ninerballin got that s*** from. Maybe he had been drinking.

[quote=“EE9er, post:9, topic:23484”][quote=“Normmm, post:5, topic:23484”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Virtually every team in the NBA has a solid PG. Except for, well, the Bobcats.[/quote]

Come on man, lets not go over board, I can think of two teams right off the bat that have worse PG play than the Bobcats, the knicks and the sixers. If I really tried hard I probably could find more. Sure Raymond isn’t great, but he isn’t the worst starting PG in the nba either.[/quote]

I was definitely using hyperbole. And I’m a Bobcats fan. But I think it’s pretty close to being true. As for the Sixers, I’d probably take Luis Williams over Raymond. Plus Iguodala averaged as many assists as Raymond. New York had Robinson before they decided to rebuild, so I don’t think they have a franchise PG. Plus, Duhon actually has a better assist/to ratio than Raymond.

A lot of the teams with marquee players don’t expect their PG to be a franchise or typical PG. So the PGs with Wade, Bryant, and Lebron may appear to be worse, but all of those guys make up for the PG not playing a typical PG role, by leading their team in assists (and averaging more assists than Raymond).

Raymond perhaps is not the absolute worse starting PG, but he’s definitely in the bottom 3-5. Perhaps the only starting franchise PG I feel comfortable putting him in front of would be Mike Conley. But then again, some might argue OJ Mayo plays a lot of point for Memphis too.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:10, topic:23484”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:8, topic:23484”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Yea, lets jump on the Wall bandwagon since he’s winning championships.[/quote][/quote]

There’s 3 choices on the board, I guess I should’ve included Rose in that statement as well. Derrick Rose has averaged around 6 assists in his career. Now if he had other guys like Lebron who could dish the ball, that would be perfectly fine. But as a PG, D Rose is a 7 point per game better scorer than Rondo, but Rondo beats him out in almost every other statistical category.

He said Deron Williams is the best… he never even argued for Rose…

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:13, topic:23484”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:10, topic:23484”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:8, topic:23484”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:3, topic:23484”]People need to jump off the Rondo bandwagon. Is he a very good player? Yes, but he is also playing with 3 future hall of famers.

Yea, lets jump on the Wall bandwagon since he’s winning championships.[/quote][/quote]

There’s 3 choices on the board, I guess I should’ve included Rose in that statement as well. Derrick Rose has averaged around 6 assists in his career. Now if he had other guys like Lebron who could dish the ball, that would be perfectly fine. But as a PG, D Rose is a 7 point per game better scorer than Rondo, but Rondo beats him out in almost every other statistical category.[/quote]

Again Rondo plays with 3 HOFs, while Rose plays with Joakim Noah and Luol Deng. Lets be serious.

Rose has been in the league 2 years and and is his teams #1 option. Rondo has been in the league 4 years and is his teams #4 option. If the Celtics have the expected shake up this off season due to age, lets see what Rondo can do. I don’t know if you noticed, but the Lakers weren’t even guarding him, Kobe (or whomever else was on him at the time, but mostly Kobe so he didnt have to chase Ray Allen around) would stand around the free throw line when Rondo had the ball.

Derrick Rose averaged 20 points 6 assists and 4 rebounds a game hitting 48% of his team high 17 shots per game. He is their #1, he is elite.

Also SF is right, I said Deron was the best, with Paul healthy probably taking over that spot. I think Rose will be the best in the next few years.

Don’t let PB see this… he’ll tell you Rondo is elite.

That’s why I made the poll. Interesting debate. PB is not alone, Rondo is winning this poll. FWIW, I didn’t vote for him either. I voted for Wall. Wall obviously is the least proven of the 3. But I think he’s going to be a combo of Rondo and Rose. Better on the break than Rose, better outside shot than Rondo.

That’s why I made the poll. Interesting debate. PB is not alone, Rondo is winning this poll. FWIW, I didn’t vote for him either. I voted for Wall. Wall obviously is the least proven of the 3. But I think he’s going to be a combo of Rondo and Rose. Better on the break than Rose, better outside shot than Rondo.[/quote]

I agree, he potentially could be that. The thing I worry about Wall is of the 3 I think he is the most susceptible to off-court distractions.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:15, topic:23484”]Again Rondo plays with 3 HOFs, while Rose plays with Joakim Noah and Luol Deng. Lets be serious.

Rose has been in the league 2 years and and is his teams #1 option. Rondo has been in the league 4 years and is his teams #4 option. If the Celtics have the expected shake up this off season due to age, lets see what Rondo can do. I don’t know if you noticed, but the Lakers weren’t even guarding him, Kobe (or whomever else was on him at the time, but mostly Kobe so he didnt have to chase Ray Allen around) would stand around the free throw line when Rondo had the ball.

Derrick Rose averaged 20 points 6 assists and 4 rebounds a game hitting 48% of his team high 17 shots per game. He is their #1, he is elite.

Also SF is right, I said Deron was the best, with Paul healthy probably taking over that spot. I think Rose will be the best in the next few years.[/quote]
Why do PG’s not in this poll keep coming up? This is not about who the best PG in the league is. (Not meant directly at you 2002).

I hear what you’re saying that Rondo has talent around him, but that doesn’t take away what he has done. A true PG doesn’t need to be the #1 scoring option. If Rose was on the Celtics instead of Rondo are you saying that Rose would then move to the #1 option? I don’t see that. Throughout the playoffs Rondo was doing just about everything else (2 triple-doubles and another game w 19 assists). Lebron had to leave Pierce to start covering Rondo for pete’s sake. Rondos numbers in FG%, assists, rebounds and steals (lead the league) are better in both the regular season and the playoffs. Rose beats him in TO’s (by .2 and .4), freethrows and points. Added to that Rondo has been named to the NBA all defensive team the last 2 years (1st team this year, 2nd team last year).

Rose is young and with a better team surrounding him he could make it closer but I’d take Rondos defense, assists and rebounds over 8 - 10 more points anyday.

That’s why I made the poll. Interesting debate. PB is not alone, Rondo is winning this poll. FWIW, I didn’t vote for him either. I voted for Wall. Wall obviously is the least proven of the 3. But I think he’s going to be a combo of Rondo and Rose. Better on the break than Rose, better outside shot than Rondo.[/quote]

Rose a 24% career 3pt shooter, Rondo a 24% career 3pt shooter.