Phil Martelli

This afternoon I was listening to ESPN’s college baskeball radio show, and they had Phil Martelli on to speak about the A-10 this year. Candid as always, he said that they’ll probably only get one team in the field of 64 this year - GW. However, he was quick to point out that the A-10 played a heck of an out of conference slate this year and that the league was laden with many young players. Martelli then mentioned that next year will be significantly different in that the A-10 will have 4 top 25 teams: GW, Xavier, Dayton, and…CHARLOTTE. I thought it was a pretty nice gesture.

We’ll get two cracks at Dayton and George Washington next season too.

doesn’t temple’s starting rotation lack a senior as well?

Temple only has two seniors on the team, combining for the grand averages of 0.0 points per game and 1.0 rebounds per game.

The Owls’ starting five…
Wayne Marshall, F, 6-11, So, 7.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.4 bpg
Antywane Robinson, F, 6-8, Jr, 7.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 0.6 bpg
Dustin Salisbery, G, 6-5, So, 12.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.5 apg
Mardy Collins, G, 6-6, Jr, 16.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.9 spg
Mark Tyndale, G, 6-5, Fr, 13.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.6 apg

Richmond and UMass only start 1 senior and St Joe’s is 9-1 in the league in first place. Martelli was being modest about his teams prospects next year

[b]and they had Phil Martelli on to speak about the A-10 this year. Candid as always[/b]

I really hope that St Joe’s comes to Halton next season. He won’t be an instant replacement for Bob Huggins, but I think he is someone that could be fun to have on the visitors sideline.