Philip Morris Plant Closing

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/174388.html]http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/174388.html[/URL]

Cabarrus County’s 2nd largest employer is closing. The tobacco industry is also the highest-paying sector of the County’s economy, with an average salary of around $70,000/year.

This is not good at all.

2500 employees will be out of work by 2010.

Yup. Talked about this in the shout box. It makes me sad. :frowning:

I think some of those jobs are heading up this way. Will help offset the loss of Wachovia Securities headquarters, I guess.

its a big facility, something else will move into it unless NC taxes scare them off. Foreign Investment in the area is healhty already, I read a ‘rumor’ on another site that it could become a brewery.

[QUOTE=NinerOne;245176]its a big facility, something else will move into it unless NC taxes scare them off. Foreign Investment in the area is healhty already, I read a ‘rumor’ on another site that it could become a brewery.[/QUOTE]

Oooohhhh, niiiice! Trading one vice for another! Sweet! Not that I am a smoker, I do support the right for people to choose to do so if they wish (within designated smoking areas of course)… now as for having a beer or 12, I am all in!

BTW… the article states that Phillip Morris represents 13% of the city’s tax base (7.2% of the county tax base)… the impact is much greater than that, because you have to factor in the employees who will be moving, thus taking their tax dollars with them.

What will they do with all that acreage on both sides of 29? I’m sure plenty of developers would love to get their hands on it and rezone it.

its a big facility, something else will move into it unless NC taxes scare them off. Foreign Investment in the area is healhty already, I read a 'rumor' on another site that it could become a brewery.

That would have to be a rumor at this point, considering that Altria just announced they are leaving this morning. I’m sure the EDC will be working hard with CRP to get something to take its place.

As for using the property, when they built the facility, P-M was required to leave all of that land as ag land. I don’t know how it was done, whether it was through a deed restriction or a Conditional Use permit. If it was a deed restriction, turning it into anything but agricultural land will be legally tricky and out of my area of knowledge (translation - I don’t know how it works). If it was through a CU permit, then a developer would have to ask for a rezoning and/or new CU permit. Right now it’s zoned for Industrial.

[QUOTE=jdm49er;245189]Oooohhhh, niiiice! Trading one vice for another! Sweet! Not that I am a smoker, I do support the right for people to choose to do so if they wish (within designated smoking areas of course)… now as for having a beer or 12, I am all in!
[/quote]

have to admit, a Budweiser brewery down the road from the University would be pretty cool. And the way NC is growing it may make a good spot for one strategically(I have no idea were their breweries are located now…), or for that matter a Wal-Mart distribution center or Lowe’s,…something will go there, hot piece of real estate…

a Brewery is also a good fit with NASCAR…they could just run a line of beer from Brewery to speed way :slight_smile:

[quote]
BTW… the article states that Phillip Morris represents 13% of the city’s tax base (7.2% of the county tax base)… the impact is much greater than that, because you have to factor in the employees who will be moving, thus taking their tax dollars with them.[/QUOTE]

Meck. County and the City of Charlotte are here to help them out, by raising taxes and sending more and more of the productive class out of county limits for the lower tax rates and better schools.

have to admit, a Budweiser brewery down the road from the University would be pretty cool. And the way NC is growing it may make a good spot for one strategically(I have no idea were their breweries are located now...), or for that matter a Wal-Mart distribution center or Lowe's,....something will go there, hot piece of real estate...

a Brewery is also a good fit with NASCAR…they could just run a line of beer from Brewery to speed way :slight_smile:

Meck. County and the City of Charlotte are here to help them out, by raising taxes and sending more and more of the productive class out of county limits for the lower tax rates and better schools.

I’m not sure you will see a Bud Brewery anytime soon. They need major railroad depots for ditribution and production centers, and they already have an established distribution web in the Southeast.

It’s sad that more plants are leaving. The unemployment in the areas north of Meck are already high and nothing seems to take its place. The entire Piedmont area down to Cabarrus and Iredell relied heavily on textiles, furniture, Manufacturing, and Tobacco. Since they are leaving, nothing much is going to be left as far as employment for middle income workers in the area.