Pi Kappa Alpha Frat suspended

For hazing:

UNC Charlotte Greek Life making us all proud.

Seriously though, everyone involved should be thankful that kid is alive. You shouldn’t be breathing at .42.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:2, topic:28291”]UNC Charlotte Greek Life making us all proud.

Seriously though, everyone involved should be thankful that kid is alive. You shouldn’t be breathing at .42.[/quote]
It was 0.42 the following morning, once they finally got him to the hospital. Had to have been higher earlier that night. I know nothing about Greek life, but I hope there isn’t a perception or a culture at Charlotte that would make them think they could get away with this without being detected and/or consequences.

I was in a fraternity and can agree what allegedly happened at that campout was just plain stupid.

This incident didnt happen on campus, but it is still stupid…

Brings back memories though…

I want to apologize for my previous post. It’s not all Greek life that does this. We truly have some great Fraternities and Sororities here, problem is they get judged for the actions of the few.

That’s why you don’t join frats if you value your life. You know your “brothers” are morons who don’t care what happens to you.

Listen to the expert.

Ummmmmmmmmm… I completely disagree with that statement.

A 49er Alumni, friend and former brother of my fraternity was struck and killed a month ago by a drunk driver on independence blvd… I have never seen a group of friends, or “brothers” gather to support a family more than my fraternity did. Mind you everyone associated with my fraternity has graduated and we no longer exist on Charlotte’s Campus, so don’t assume we forced people show up.

I agree that what happened here was unfortunate, I am glad the kid survived… but do not judge fraternities if you have never had the experience…

Thank you.

I’m surprised it took this long for it to come out. Pretty much most of campus knew about this when it happened.

On another note, hazing is something that has been the doom of many fraternities and sororities. However, I still would love to see the greek system improve at Charlotte. While I don’t believe the Greek community would thrive at Charlotte the way it does with other schools, there is a place for it. A strong and active Greek community can do great things for a University. I hope things will continue to improve and progress will be made.

A 49er Alumni, friend and former brother of my fraternity was struck and killed a month ago by a drunk driver on independence blvd… I have never seen a group of friends, or “brothers” gather to support a family more than my fraternity did. Mind you everyone associated with my fraternity has graduated and we no longer exist on Charlotte’s Campus, so don’t assume we forced people show up.

I agree that what happened here was unfortunate, I am glad the kid survived… but do not judge fraternities if you have never had the experience…

Thank you.[/quote]
Agree 100%. My college roomate, and fraternity brother, lost his wife to cancer last year, she was 38. I bet we had over 100 brothers show up to support and get him and his 7 year old son through that tough time. It’s not about “buying” friends and never has been. Being in a fraternity is a choice, it’s not for some people, and that’s OK. However, it’s juvenile to degrade those that do decide to join based on misconceived perceptions. Are there idiots in fraternities, of course, but there are also idiots not in frats.

Hazing happens in all kinds of organizations - not just greek ones. It is a shame when it happens, but it is just repeating what was done to you. The fact that this group took it too far is on them, not on greeks in general. I myself was not a member of a greek organization as it didn’t feel right for me, but I harbor no ill will towards them or any other organization on campus that seeks to contribute to the good of the university. A few knuckle heads always can make the image of a group look bad - just look at our basketball program.

+1

I disagree: http://nineronline.com/2013/09/fighting-for-their-brother/

Thank you.[/quote]
Agree 100%. My college roomate, and fraternity brother, lost his wife to cancer last year, she was 38. I bet we had over 100 brothers show up to support and get him and his 7 year old son through that tough time. It’s not about “buying” friends and never has been. Being in a fraternity is a choice, it’s not for some people, and that’s OK. However, it’s juvenile to degrade those that do decide to join based on misconceived perceptions. Are there idiots in fraternities, of course, but there are also idiots not in frats.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more…

I disagree: http://nineronline.com/2013/09/fighting-for-their-brother/[/quote]

[size=36pt]THIS.[/size]

There is a stigma that greek organizations are always going up against because they’ve created it with incidents like this. Many of them have no intentions of proving those stigmas wrong.

I agree and those folks are not idiots because they are in frats, they are just idiots that happen to be in a fraternity. I was hazed while joining my fraternity,mostly mental and physical stuff but was never forced to drink alcohol. My fraternity cut out hazing a few years after I graduated. Some old alums balked, but it didn’t really bother me all that much.

Agree, the few stand out. Similar to the students shouting profanities at the games, 99.9% don’t.

I thought Hazing had pretty much stopped except for little (fun) things.
It is just Stupid to encourage an underage person (or anyone) to drink.
Someone will get hurt or you will get sued or both. Only bad things come
from this and I am surprised anyone in a Frat would even let this happen in
todays environment.